The memorial service once a year or once a week? Which is apostolic?

by greendawn 36 Replies latest jw friends

• TheListener
    TheListener

*** w94 3/15 p. 5 The Lord’s Evening Meal—How Often Should It Be Observed? ***

Some scholars recognized that these "Fourteenthers" were following the original apostolic pattern. One historian said: "As regards the day for observing the Pascha [the Lord’s Evening Meal], the usage of the Quartodeciman churches of Asia was continuous with that of the Jerusalem church. In the 2nd century these churches at their Pascha on the 14th of Nisan commemorated the redemption effected by the death of Christ."—Studia Patristica, Volume V, 1962, page

Again, they put "Lord's Evening Meal" in brackets. I can't locate this source right now. If I need to travel to a theological library to do so I will.

• TheListener
    TheListener

*** w63 4/1 pp. 198-199 Commemorating Christ’s Death ***

Historically, for at least several centuries ever so many of the early Christians celebrated the death of Jesus Christ in exactly this way, once each year on Nisan 14, for which reason they were called "Quartodecimans," meaning "fourteenthers."

A noted historian of early Christianity, Mosheim, in his History of Christianity, the First Three Centuries, has the following to say about the Quartodecimans (Vol. 1, p. 529): "The Christians of Asia Minor were accustomed to celebrate this sacred feast, commemorative of the institution of the Lord’s supper, and the death of Jesus Christ, at the same time when the Jews ate their Paschal lamb, namely on the evening of the fourteenth day of the first month. For . . . they considered the example of Christ possessing the force of law; and, as is equally manifest, they did not conceive our Savior to have anticipated the passover, . . . but that the Paschal lamb was eaten by him and his disciples on the same day on which the Jews . . . were accustomed to eat theirs."

I cannot find this source either. But, it appears to more clearly support the WTS view.

• TheListener
    TheListener

*** w90 2/15 p. 13 From Seder to Salvation ***

For the next two centuries, many Christians held to Nisan 14, they being known as Quartodecimans, from the Latin for "14th." M’Clintock and Strong report: "The churches of Asia Minor celebrated the death of the Lord on the day corresponding to the 14th of the month Nisan, on which day, according to the opinion of the whole ancient Church, the crucifixion took place."

I don't have this and if no one else can post the source I'll go and find it at a theological library.

By the way, is that a typo in the WT or is "M'Clintock" acceptable?

• TheListener
    TheListener

OK so that's it. The WTS uses four basic references to show a yearly celebration follows the quartodeciman tradition.

If no one posts the referenced publications in the next couple of days I'll get them. One of the four citations are online and can be seen The rest will be posted one way or another.

• jaffacake
  • jaffacake
    jaffacake

Nark & Barry

Thanks for putting me right. My memory is indeed failing, having been out for nearly 30 years.

• TheListener

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit