What are your sources?

by Eyebrow2 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I have enjoyed reading and posting in the short time I have known of this site. There is a lot of stuff here...some I agree with, some I don't, but that is the beauty of free speech!

Here is my thing: When something is posted as a Press Release from the Watchtower, or from other WTS sources, PLEASE always list the reference. Many of you do...but I find it frustrating when I see posts that appear to be verbatim info. without source info. I guess I am being anal, but one of the good things I did get out of my JW experience was always check your sources. While the WTS does not always follow this advice, I think it would be helpful if we did.

JWs are taught that Apostates make up stuff left and right about the WTS and cannot prove anything. This site is a great opportunity for us to take the high road and not copy the WTS.

Like I said, most do list source material....bless you for that! I find that extremely helpful. Today, I read a couple of Press Releases posted here from the WTS that I could not find online or at the JW media site. I am not saying that the person who posted these made it up, I just would like to see where he/she got it so that I can show my JW relatives and friends when we are speaking about these things.

Thanks!!

And...again, thank you everyone for taking the time to post here. It has been not only an educational, but entertaining experience for me. It is nice to not be alone.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Most of us understand and try to comply when possible. The reader is expected to use good judgment as to whether something is reasonable or not, whether the poster has a good track record of providing accurate information, and so on.

Note that, if it is not in their best interest, the Society will NOT put a press release on its site. As a matter of fact, their entire Public Relations/Public Affairs apparatus has undergone considerable change. Their recent press release was faxed directly from an Associated Press reporter.

How would the rank and file elder feel about being termed an "untrained volunteer'? You won't find that on the Society web site.

Maximus

• AlanF
    AlanF

I agree that people should post their sources. Unfortunately, the jw-media site often removes information shortly after posting it, so there's no way to verify what was there. This has happened a number of times recently, and indicates that there is disagreement in La-La-Land headquarters about what should be made public.

AlanF

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

It sucks....I too went to the media site and could find nothing that the JWs would consider negative or grave.

Maximus,
    so do you get press releases sent directly to you? I was wondering if you found it in a newspaper, or if you had it send directly, since their media site has an option for journalists to get on their press release list.

Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit