Where else has WT slammed higher education?

by kristyann 8 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

Hi everyone

I know that I have not been on this discussion forum for quite a long time, and to anyone that might have messaged me, I'm sorry if I didn't get back to you and I will still try to. I kept very busy with school, and then after my finals I had so much going on with family members visiting from out of town for Christmas, New Year's and a couple of birthdays in the family. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and I was hoping that you could help me out with something.
    I am trying to collect as many articles and publications from the Watchtower Society that frown upon college and higher education as possible (don't ask why, it's just a little personal project of mine). I know that recently the Watchtower started again tightening the reins on higher education. I remember that those two recent issues of the Watchtower (I think that they were in October) really slammed college. I also know that the book "Questions Young People Ask...Answers That Work" also STRONGLY implies that a "career" as a pioneer is more worthwhile than a worldly college education. So I have those recent issues of the Watchtower and also the Questions Young People Ask book... but I know that there have got to be many, many more. If you all could get back to me on some of the places where the Watchtower has slammed higher education, or "strongly implied" that "youths" should not go there and instead should pioneer, please let me know. It can be recent stuff or much older stuff, it can be the magazines, books, anything. Just let me know and I'll be on the hunt for them. (I know it sounds like a strange project, but I AM using it for something).
    Also, if anyone knows of the places where the Watchtower Society has knocked things like extracurricular activities, sports, hobbies, etc. for young people, could you please let me know where those types of things could be found, too? I am aware that I could find a lot of this using a search engine and I have, but I know that you guys are the best sources of information and I want to make sure I don't miss anything.
    Thanks so much! Hope you all had a great Christmas... and I can honestly say I have missed this forum. :-)

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I would suggest finding a quotes.watchtower mirror site and looking it up there. I believe there was a whole section on it.

• Rig Boy
    Rig Boy

I am torn over this issue. On the one hand, the Watchtower doesn't want the rank file to become educated and critical thinkers (something that would not doubt free them from the cult) and on the other hand I know that Academia has a tendency to turn people into atheists. We do know this.....The Illuminati gained a tremendous amount of control over Academia during the past 200+ years.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

quotes mirror = http://reexamine.org (then click on the Quotes link)

D ave

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Kristyann, go to search and click on "watchtower society and education" you will find several articles that will help you.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Last year's convention had a speaking part on keeping your education "simple". That part made me sick. An honors student spoke of her resistance to accepting scolarships, and how angry her teachers were. But she knew pioneering was more important. Gag.

Also the last elder's assembly.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/102237/1.ashx

An account of the 2004-05 circuit. Still looking for mine.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/83427/6.ashx

Another one for 2005. Still looking.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/93742/1.ashx

Another. I give up. I can't find my typed notes, and I don't want to retype from my notebook.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/92893/1.ashx

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I’ve posted this quote before on this forum but who can find anything they’re looking for here buried in almost 5000 pages of topics. This is one of my favorite WBTS quotes regarding higher education.

Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them "brainwash" you with the Devil's propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. The world has very little time left! Any "future" this world offers is no future! ... Make pioneer service, the fulltime ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal. This is a life that offers an everlasting future!- The Watchtower, March 15, 1969

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Make pioneer service, the fulltime ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal.

I don't think this applies at the moment with WTBT$ current

• kristyann
    kristyann

Thanks, everyone, you all are a great help! I know that you all are always on top of things and sometimes it's easier to get info from you than anywhere else. I appreciate your help and it helped me greatly!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit