Water fasting is beneficial for body and spirit

by greendawn 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• greendawn
    greendawn

Right now I am doing a water fast (just drinking water, no food), and for a few days more. Surprisingly after 48 hours I am not feeling weak or cranky, instead I feel revitalised and relaxed, free from moods and disruptive emotions. Some doctors say it's a great way to detoxify but it is more its ability of clarifying up the spirit that motivates me. Moses, Jesus and the Apostles all fasted at some stage.

Does anyone else fast occasionally?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I did once, for three days. It made me feel a little high at times, and I didn't exactly enjoy it, but the meal I had after those three days tasted SO GOOD!

I was a JW at the time, it was just an experiment, nothing religious attached.

Dave

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I have. trying to start now, but I think I need to veggitize first. Cleanse system after XMAS. Then move into liquid. Water, Water, Water. Actually distilled I heard is best.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yes, I do this a 3-4 times a year for 1-2 weeks. I drink water with a little lemon juice in it.

• tweety
    tweety

I fast once a year...drinking just water. I started fasting about 4 years ago and my reason is to detox. My mother died of colon cancer and I started to do some research on the benefits of fasting. It gives your organs a mini vacation and it flushes out toxins that are trapped in your cells. ( such as Medications, chemicals in processed foods and stored fat )

Since then, my sister has tried it and she told me that her sinus problems just disappeared.

Tweety

• joanne_
    joanne_

hmmm i think i will try this on the weekend...sounds like a good idea

• JH
    JH
    just drinking water, no food

Since the last 20 years I' ve been eating food and never drinking any water.

And I feel good, and I,m perfectly normal

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I also like to fast three days or so from time to time. I'll have to try a one or two week fast and see if it gets easier for me too.

Just make sure you drink something with electrolytes so that your nervous system does not shut down! Tea is good for that along with chicken or beef broth.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I was eating a Little Debbie Star Crunch while I read your post.

Skeeter1

• greendawn
    greendawn

Thanks for the replies, I am actually continuing the fast and the 7th of January was the fifth day on it. I am surprised I still don't feel weak and never felt really uncomfortable except on the 4th day. Perhaps I can complete a week.

What happens during fasting is that the fat depots are opened up to supply fat as energy fuel. Most of the body can use it but some tissues like the brain can't, they need sugar and as a result some muscle protein has to be transformed to sugar. But then the liver kicks in and turns some fat into ketone bodies, which the brain can use as fuel to cover up to 75% of its energy needs (the rest is still derived from sugar). That eases the burden on the muscles because the sugar needs are reduced. Less muscle is wasted.

The body can transform sugar to fat but is not able to reverse the process and transform fat to sugar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit