Progress...?

by MuadDib 3 Replies latest jw friends

• MuadDib
    MuadDib

Well, if my family celebrated Christmas I would have ruined it for them this year. After working most of the 24th I went over to my parents' house for dinner and was unable to escape my mother's interrogation as to why I haven't been at meetings or in service for three months. This turned into an hours-long conversation with my parents in which I essentially announced my decision to leave the JWs. For a while I dodged around the question of what my specific concerns were, but they were insistent so I mentioned something about recent archaeological work in Israel proving that the kingdoms of David and Solomon as described in the Bible never existed, and that the entire region probably only supported a few thousand people and so the huge armies mentioned in the Bible could never have been assembled. I knew this went over my mom's head a little, but my dad is better educated in that area and I think he knew the game was up after that, though I made oblique references to 607 BCE, the implausibility of the Deluge, and some other stuff too. We had a somewhat tearful parting and each of them subsequently wrote me a letter expressing their reaction (disappointment, of course, but also a refreshing willingness to accomodate my position, thank God).

It wasn't as bad as I expected actually, and I'm going to talk it over with my dad some more and cover some further, more specific questions. I'm keen to get his opinion in more detail because he told me over the course of our conversation that he too would be a liberal, secular humanist like I am if he wasn't a JW. I of course have to tell him that I don't think I can ever make the kind of reconciliation between the two that he seems to have. An odd situation, for sure.

Now what's on my mind is what to say to the elders when I get the inevitable shepherding call (one of them called me the other day but I didn't bother picking up). I don't care at all what they think about anything except insofar as it affects my family - to have a DA or DF announcement read out from the platform would be an entirely destructive experience for them given the viciously homogenous hive dynamic that dominates the social structure of the JWs, so I do want to avoid that if at all possible.

Thoughts? Comments? I should maybe add that I feel like a massive weight has come off my shoulders after finally having a conversation I've been planning for years. It's almost like I actually physically breathe easier and feel better. My finances and education are still in pretty dire straits but the stress is so vastly eased that it's as though I can handle life much more easily. Feels nice.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Sounds like you got a good reaction from your folks considering they are JWs. If your folks know you just want to stay quiet and left alone by the witnesses (to the point that you had to be pressed to share what your concerns were) then perhaps even if the elders take action they will be able to get through it easier.

• skyman
    skyman

Don't talk to them. If you have made your mind up do not talk to two Elders at one time. They are not there to help you so why be civil to them. Don't answer the door, not return their calls, Hang up the phone if you answer and one of them is on it, Do not pick up a certified letter from the post office or sign any letter for pick up from any UPS ec....... If you get cornered say you are confused at this time, they will not DA or DF you if you only say this. Don't let them make you leave under their conditions This is real impoertant to follow what I said. If you do this you will not be DA or DF unless your dad and mom become the two witnesses against you. Be smart. I would go back and tell your mom and dad you have rethought it over and having a tuff time and just was confussed the other day.

• Es
    Es

Im so glad that didnt turn out messy. And a big bonus they still want to associate with you.

es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit