A Demon Haunted World

by wednesday 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• wednesday
    wednesday

someone just recently posted the name of a book, I believe it was called 'a demon haunted world" . I went to amazon, and the author they have is Carl Sagon.. Is the correct book? or is there a lesser known writer who wrote another book? I very much want it. I am so realizing that just about everything, every belief I have ever had is based on superstitution and fear of demons.

Weds

• Quentin
    Quentin

It was Sagen...

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Yep, that's the right book. As a magic-worker and believer in ooga booga, I recommend it highly. Rationalism and the scientific method are also spiritual gifts; I'm just not real good at them.

gently feral

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

check your local library
    it might have it too
    mine did
    :)

• seven006
    seven006

The correct title is “THE demon haunted world”

Not “A” demon haunted world

Dave

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

The Demon-Haunted World

Science as a candle in the dark.

By: Carl Sagan

Copyright 1996

Good book, not his best but worth a read regardless.

• Ticker
    Ticker

What is the book about? Is it a documentation on how people attribute things as demonic when they can really be scientifically explained? Just a guess. That could be an interesting read.

Ticker

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

The book is primarily about debunking psuedoscience and relying on the real deal to help us improve understanding of the natural world.

• Ticker
    Ticker

Thanks for clarifying that Darth YhWh.

Ticker

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

This book was one of the best damned books I have ever read. It's the best introduction to Skepticism I have ever read.

And then, if you really want to get the old juices flowing, read "Letters from the Earth" by Mark Twain, at least the first half of it. This is not the Twain of "Tom Sawyer" and "Huck Finn". This is a much darker, much angrier Twain. He skewers Man's ideas about God, Religion,and his own place in the Universe. He tears apart the Old Testament, and raises a lot of common sense questions regarding The Flood, how the Israelites dealt with the nations that they defeated (case in point:God orders that no virgins are to be killed when the Canaanites are conquered. How does an army determine who are virgins, and who are not? Unsavory questions not raised in Sunday School...)

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. Read Sagan's book. The best point he makes is that the Universe is a wonderful and fascinating place in its own right, why muck it up with belief in stuff like Ramtha, Bigfoot, the Face on Mars, Alien Abductions, The Lost Continent of Atlantis, etc.?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit