Honour Killings - Who are we to talk?

by Spectrum 13 Replies latest social family

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

In the West according to police it is a fact that you are more likely to be killed by a person known to you than a complete stranger and I imagine good number will be carried out by a family member.

How much different is this from what the West has labeled honour killings? As far as I'm concerned they are the same abomination, we just use clever language to impress upon people how in the West we are so much more civilised. We would never carry out an honour killing it's just good old fashioned murder here in the West, we can even clean up its meaning up a bit with a momentary insanity plea - no, not the same thing at all compared to honour killing.

Any wants to take issue with my assertion.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Are you talking about crimes of passion, a momentary lapse in judgement leading to tragedy? Sounds like you are. If that's the case, I hardly see the similarity.

Honor killings involving slicing the throat of your daughters in front of their mother as some kind of family honor thing is a very different animal.

I see where you are trying to take this, at least I think I do. You are saying that 'it's all wrong'. I agree. But this is comparing apples to oranges.

J

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Just like most killing is wrong - doesnt matter if they are Christian/Jew/muslim/Hindu black/white etc -- they are all human beings.

But I do think that ceremonially killing your daughters in front of their mother as a "honor" is just totally sick and wrong

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

"Are you talking about crimes of passion, a momentary lapse in judgement leading to tragedy?"
    No I wasn't. But it's interesting that you made that assumption. It kind of proves my point as to how the West thinks our killers are not as bad as their killers.
    I understand that killing a daughter is reprehensible and cruel but so is a son or daughter that takes a shot gun to his/her father and mother's head.

"Honor killings involving slicing the throat of your daughters in front of their mother"
    Not all killing are like this. Sometimes the brothers just find their sister and shoot her. It's still an honour killing just like an American boy shoots his parents for virtually no reason at all but it is not called an honour killing it's called homocide.
    When was the last time you heard a western police chief say we are investigating an honour killing refering to the white boy that killed his white parents?

Our language tells as how we should feel instead of the hard facts.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    It kind of proves my point as to how the West thinks our killers are not as bad as their killers.

No. It proves that your initial post was unclear. I took my best shot at making sense of it.

I don't know who you are referring to as "the west" but your vast sweeping statement telling me how I feel on a subject when you don't even know me is offensive.

You also do not acknowledge that I stated that I believe any kind of murder to be wrong whether it is done in the name of religion, passion, or cold blooded and pre-meditated.

Do not assume you know how I feel about something when you do not take the time to even ask a clarifying question, which courtesy I allotted to you.

J

• greendawn
    greendawn

But nowadays do we get any honour killings in the West at all, of the type where parents kill their children or their lovers?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Is it considered an "honor killing" when a person takes a bomb on to a bus filled with people that he doesn't know and blows them up? Just wondering? We have mass murderers here, but it's usually sexually related; unless it's someone going postal. I feel either way it's bad. I think the witnesses don't blame themselves when a parent, child, or loved one commits suicide because of being shunned. I think that some of them might actually feel "honored". What do you think?

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

The difference is that the so called Honour killing is not only accepted but it is supported by the religions involved and by the culture of the people involved.

That is what makes it even more heinous than a mass murder or the murder of a person in the (west ??) as you describe it.

Outoftheorg

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    But nowadays do we get any honour killings in the West at all, of the type where parents kill their children or their lovers?

Jehovah's Witnesses will let their children die by refusing to let them get a blood transfusion. Isn't that the same as an "honor killing"? The elders will be there to watch with the parents.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Outoftheorg,

"The difference is that the so called Honour killing is not only accepted but it is supported by the religions involved and by the culture of the people involved."
    I think that this is not so that islam, for example, supports this crime. There are a few ignorant backward people whose culture might support this.

"That is what makes it even more heinous than a mass murder or the murder of a person in the (west ??) as you describe it."
    Are you serious?! It this kind of mentality that prompted me to start this thread. You are definite proof that the West thinks its killers are worse than those of the east. Even our killers are more civilised than their killers in essence that is what you are saying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit