7th day adventists

by yaddayadda 10 Replies latest jw friends

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Can anyone direct me to a good website or thread on here that talks about any spin-off groups after they officially accepted the trinity doctrine, in the early 1980's I think, in order to join the World Council of Churches. Was there any fragmentation in the 7th day adventists when this happened? Any help would be appreciated.

cheers.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I don't know about the 7th Day Adventists but the World Wide Church of God met with the Council and rejected all of Herbert W. Armstrong's apostate teachings. Fortunately, I was long gone from the cult by then. Unfortunately, I had been trapped by the JW cult. Fortunately, I am free of their Lie now and enjoy the freedom God talked about in His Word.

• barry
    barry

Im An SDA and to my knowledge no groups ha e split from the SDAs because of the change to the trinity doctrine. There are groups and individuals in the SDAs that dont beleive the trinity doctrine even today. As far as I know the SDA church is not affiliated with the world council of churches but they do have their representatives attending world council of church meetings. Barry

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Thanks Barry. That's very interesting that there are groups and individuals in the SDA's that don't believe the trinity. Are they allowed to discuss this openly with others in their congo's, even get into debates about it? So the church doesn't mind members holding different beliefs on this obviously?

• barry
    barry

Gday Yadayyadda, Let me say that the official teaching of the SDAs is the trinity doctrine and that is what they would teach you before baptism and you would be expected to beleive it before you were baptised. If you happened to change youre mind in the course of youre studies and you may also happen to read some early Adventist writers dissagreements with the trinity.My Dad knows an SDA elder that is Arian and beleives the same as the JWs . The old hymn Holy Holy Holy early Adventist Hymn books ended with''Lord god almighty reigns eternally' and in newer hynmn books ends with 'God in three persons holy trinity' in the same ending other trinitarian churches use.

The trinity doctrine in the SDAs is not a hot topic and wouldnt create much of a stir if you were to oppose it. The righteousness by faith debate is what will raise the hackles in Adventist circles and will sometimes cause out and out arguements. Large sections of the SDAs have a Catholic theology while the other side embraces the doctrine of righteousness by faith held by the reformers. Barry

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Thanks Barry. Good to know they are not too hung up on it. I might go check out a few of their meetings out of curiosity. Their dietary restrictions put me off though.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

After the disappointments of 1844 and 1845, I would be interested to see the pattern of disconfirmation disintegration and change so as to be able to predict how long it will take for the Borg to become a watered down mainstream church.

Especially as a study article to youths said that this would never happen. (They must look here - it is the only place I have heard speculation about becoming "MAINSTREAM".

HB

• stev
    stev

Arianism was prevalent among the Adventists in the mid-19th century, even among the leaders. Arianism entered the Adventists through the Christian Connection, which later merged with other groups to become the United Church of Christ. There is a offshoot of the SDA that is Arian, and they have a website about how the early SDA leaders were Arian. Perhaps I can find it. The Adventist group Church of God of the Abrahamic Faith are Unitarians, but do not believe in the pre-existence of Jesus. They were influenced by the Christadelphians.

Storrs believed that Jesus was God, but believed that the relationship of the Father and the Son was a mystery, and would not characterize his belief as either Arian or Trinitarian. Russell was an Arian in his beliefs like many Adventists of his time. Russell likely got his Arian views from George Stetson. Stetson was an Advent Christian minister who was pastor of the Allegheny Advent Christian Church from 1871-1873. Stetson wrote an article on the Ransom that appeared at the time in the the Advent Christian magazine. He gives the view that the ransom was a corresponding price to Adam. It is on the internet and I can locate if anyone is interested.

The SDA, Adventist Christian Church, and the Worldwide Church of God all made moves toward accepting the Trinity, reversing an earlier anti-trinitarianism.

Steve

• stev
    stev

http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/trinity/gane-thesis/

The Arian or Anti-Trinitarian Views Presented in Seventh-day Adventist Literature and the Ellen G. White Answer
    by Erwin Roy Gane
    The doctrine of Trinity has been a fundamental belief of the Seventh-day Adventist church since 1931. In the earliest years, however, most early church leaders were anti-trinitarian. What caused the change? Erwin Gane examines the various beliefs of prominent leaders in the early years as shown in their writings.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Much thanks Stev.

Found this also. I need to compare the pre-1980 beliefs with the latest. It looks like 1980 was when they officially became fully trinitarian?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit