Evolution Vs. Evolution

by Ticker 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ticker
    Ticker

I thought with all the "Evolution Vs." threads I'd start this one. LOL Any takers?

Ticker

• Forscher
    Forscher

Oookay. I guess a little humor is in order!
    Forscher

• zagor
  • zagor
    zagor

no offence intended to our friend in states

• Ticker
    Ticker

Oh now we wouldnt want to mock our friend "Bush". I say from a Evolutionist point he is an example of Evolution vs. Evolution. Who else is going backwards on the evolutionary scale. I mean he really resembles that monkey. LOL J/K

Ticker

• Ticker
    Ticker

Have many here actually whole heartedly set their minds to the idea of evolution and ended the turmoil of wondering what to believe? Myself I have not accepted Evolution but nor ruled it out, I still feel somewhat uncertain. I would feel it hard to solidly accept one or the other. I like the prospect Christ offers though and definatly has more apeal then the evolutionist outcome and finallity.

Ticker

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Ticker, I have resolved myself to what it means to die. I did not exist prior to my birth nor will I exist after my body wears out. There are rare moments when I get a bit anxious about whether I'm using my time in the best way. But I observe the same anxiety in deeply religious folks, maybe its just a natural, perhaps even healthy self awareness. Most of the time I am quite comfortable with being here now and using the body i have to enjoy the ride however long or short it proves to be. Those that know me know my outlook does not mean being unusually selfish nor hedonistic. I want to be surrounded by happy people, being a friend or good partner to them contributes to that. Also if you think about death too much, regardless of your religious perspective, you become imbalanced. Its no different than obsessing about the unchangable past or about loss of any kind.

IMO only those who are imbalanced actually allow the placebo of "heaven" to penetrate into their daily choices. Think about it, we see the results of people living without fear of death in the news, they're called suicide bombers. In contrast most religious folks pull "heaven" out of the closet when they need a blanket. I'm not desparaging this, its just an observation. It was true for me when I was a JW. The 'resurrection' thing was only a mental worry stone I kept in a pocket for times when I grieved or anxiously sensed I was wasting my life.

I spend a lot of time outdoors where I see the continuing cycle of life and death. There are times when I reflect upon my own inevitable end and how life will continue for others, maybe because I see myself a part of the whole I don't find that so sad.

• Ticker
    Ticker
    I spend a lot of time outdoors where I see the continuing cycle of life and death. There are times when I reflect upon my own inevitable end and how life will continue for others, maybe because I see myself a part of the whole I don't find that so sad.

That is so true, thankyou for your comment. I guess the older we all get the more we even see the cycle of life and death in ourselves and loved ones. Sometimes its sad to see others nearing the final stage or stretch of their lives, they added much meaning to your life and its tough to know they will be gone forever. Sometimes I get a bit sad thinking about it but I try to keep thinking about the good times shared.

Ticker

• fahrvegnugen
    fahrvegnugen

Another sobering thought is that basically all memory of our existence will be lost within 3 or 4 generations of our death.

I ponder this every now and then. The author of Ecclesiastes said it best:

For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun.

Don't think about these verses as a JW proof text. Think about them as the words of an agnostic, or even an atheist. I'm convinced the part at the end about "fearing God and keeping his commandments" was added later in order to make the book compatible with belief in God. If you read from the start without preconceived notions, it seems clear that the author believes this life is all there is--and he's pondering his own mortality and the mortality of the countless millions who came before him.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Ecclesiates was apparently written by someone with the Sadducean perspective. The group recognized the Persian and Greek influences upon Judaism of the OT and imagined that they represented an original form of worship of the god of Moses. Their position was similar to the WT imaginig themselves the restoration of original Christianity because of recognition of Greek influences on the early church.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit