If you are the only being in existance...

by ballistic 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Ar, hold on, hold on. This is how I used to think, but you are imagining god in space and time. There cannot be a 'point' of motivation when there is no time. There is a point in our universe where it was created from our perspective, but outside of this universe that point must appear to be everywhere to an omnipotent being.

So while billions of years passed between the creation of the first angel and the creation of the first man [biblically speaking, and I'm not trying to hold you to the bible here], no time passed for God because he is outside of time. That's the idea?

Yeah, I'm gonna need a beer, too. I see where you're heading on it, but I can't get there from here. Not yet.

In God's Debris, there is an interesting thought on this. What motivates an all-powerful, all-knowing being? The answer proposed by the character in the book is an interesting one that I won't reveal since it's sort of a surprise. But you can download and read it here: http://www.andrewsmcmeel.com/godsdebris/

Dave

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Could it be "not knowing"? having something to strive for again? A relief for the boredom? Something new to overcome? Got any beer left???

• ballistic
    ballistic
    So while billions of years passed between the creation of the first angel and the creation of the first man [biblically speaking, and I'm not trying to hold you to the bible here], no time passed for God because he is outside of time. That's the idea?

Yeah, basically. I guess this post does require someone to have the same kinda view of god that I do to be on the same wave legnth.

I believe that man has created god 'in our image' and we ascribe human emotions and qualities to god. My question is can a god which exists outside of time even have a purpose given the "limitations" of such an existance?

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I'm not sure about the answer to this.. but think it could be 42

• ballistic
    ballistic
    I'm not sure about the answer to this.. but think it could be 42

Hey, 42 is my purpose, you go and find your own number!

Got any beer left???

Yeah Dave, only just opened the first one as I had to nip down the road to buy some.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well - it is a bit deep - if anyone wants to bring this up in the future - then please do. I have nothing to add at the moment.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

How about:

Before and after and throughout the beginning, when a "beginning" was never even suggested, there was God - all alone - God "is" love, but all alone.

Then God split into two identical copies, like Yin and Yang, Male and Female, both having always existed - God "is" love, but with noone to observe.

Then "God" brought forth a "Son" together, having always existed eternally and everywhere (because God always "is" and is always everywhere) - God "is" love, now observable and observing, and the love "is" - finally God could also be called "Father", and Mother and Son. All the forms of "love", there in that perfect minimalist triangle of love.

Then "God" purposed to start creating and let Son loose "in the beginning" by making a bubble of time out of Godstuff (for there was no other stuff to create with, for God "is" everywhere and "is" God) and called everything within it "universe". Son almost lost his hair in that "big bang" but Pappa and Momma sure did laugh!

When He got to making life He used cell division, divising self-replicating molecules, then Amoeba and other self-replicating single-celled organisms. As things got more complicated He continually adapted the DNA and implemented procreation, just for fun. Finally He got to "Man" and made them just like Himself complete with the ability to replicate cells and procreate, and a desire to create and a comprehension of "love" - in the very image of "God".

Man became observer and observed, made out of Godstuff. And when each loving spirit shrugged off the "material" universe that he had been invested with for a few years, with all his observations, experiences and "love", he went to "God" - God is love

• ballistic
    ballistic

I think my concept of god which this post is about differs considerably to your's Little Toe and possibly most people on here. I am not saying my way is right by any means. How will we ever know the nature of what exists outside of our universe without faith, let alone comprehend it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

There's no way you read that in seven minutes flat and comprehended it in the context of this thread!

Re-reading your reply - yup - no way!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Is "purpose" something which is only meaningful in a world with a serial time line, because outside of it, there is no passage of time and therefore no cause and effect?

even in this world, "purpose" is still not meaningful, IMO.

god looking into our universe for meaning?

yes, indeed: 42

TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit