What Exactly is Human Dignity Anyway???

by Gretchen956 4 Replies latest social current

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Today at work I was handed an article to read from the Science and Technology section of Nature Reviews:

Human dignity: a guide to policy making in the biotechnology era? by Timothy Caulfiend and Roger Brownsword. Here's a short exerpt:

The concept of human dignity has emerged as a key point of reference for the regulation of modern science and technology, as evidenced by its use in recent policy debates on human genetics, human embroyonic stem cell research, and human cloning(1-3). But despite its frequent use, a practical definition of human dignity remains elusive(4). Most would agree that the concept is closely related to the intrinsic worth of all humans - an idea enshrined in the 1948 Universal Declaration on Human Rights, which acknowledges the "inherent dignity" and "equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family." In this reading, human dignity is an engine of individual empowerment, reinforcing individual autonomy and the right to self-determination(5).

However, beyond statements such as the one in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, there seems to be little clarity about the concept of human dignity. Indeed, it is increasingly used as a rationale for a wide variety of policy positions. For example, President George W. Bush has used it as a justfication for a range of biomedical policies, including a ban on human cloning and embryonic stem cell research (6). However, for some, respect for human dignity (as the underpinning of human rights) points in exactly the opposite direction. This confusion has led one commentator to assert that "[d]ignity is a useless concept in medical ethics and can be eliminated without any loss of context." (7) Others have argued that its inappropriate use can be an oppressive force, silencing open debate (8).

I just thought this subject matter was fascinating and wondered what you all thought. I'm really curious, not only when it relates to medicine, but science in general or for that matter, just human rights or human dignity in general. -----thoughts?-----

Sherry

now, for those that want the resources, here they are:
    1) Fukuyama, F. Our Posthuman Future (Profile Books, NY, 2002).;
    2) The President's Council on Bioethics. Human cloning and human dignity : an ethical inquiry. The President's Council on Bioethics website www.bioethics.gov/reports/cloningreport/fullreport.html (2002);
    3) Caulfield, T. Human cloning laws, human dignity and the poverty of the policy making dialogue. BMC Med Ethics 4.e3 (2003).;
    4) Verspieren, P. in the Discourse of Human Dignity (eds Ammicht-Quinn. R et al) 13-22 (SCM Press, London 2003);
    5) Brownsord, R. in Human Rights (ed. Brownsword, R) 203-234 (Hart, Oxford, 2004).;
    6) Bush, G.W. President Bush calls on Senate to back human cloning ban; remarks by the President on human cloning legislation. The White House website www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/04/20020410-4.html (2002).;
    7) Macklin, R. Dignity is a useless concept. Br Med J 327, 1419-1420 (2003).;
    8) Caulfield, T & Chapman, A Human Dignity as a criterion for science policy. PLoS Med 2. e244 (2005).

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Is it "dignity" that lacks a definition, or is it "human" that's in question? Is a blastocyst a human? To a Catholic, it is. To me, it's not.

Is an apostate a human? To the Wacthtower, perhaps not.

To some neanderthalic-types, black people aren't really human.

I think if we could all get behind a single definition of human, the "dignity" part would work itself out.

Dave

• atypical
    atypical

Dignity is something I never felt I had as a witness. Dignity is also something that I feel the witnesses are trying to keep me from having if I stay away from them.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I fall on the side of the intrinsic value of all humans. We all appear into this world with basically the same equipment. It's after that when our parent's circumstances will affect who we are, when the actions of those around us will affect our worldview of other humans, and when our environment will change us from innocent babies to older and wiser in some cases, and just older in other cases.

I would hope that we have self-determination, but sometimes that gets legislated against. We do, however, still have a lot of choices in this life. I would hope that it could be on a level playing field but thats just a pipe dream!

Sherry, who believes we all brothers and sisters.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

From "South Pacific":

You've got to be taught
    To hate and fear,
    You've got to be taught
    From year to year,
    It's got to be drummed
    In your dear little ear
    You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
    Of people whose eyes are oddly made,