Followup on activity at NYC Bethel

by startingover 40 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• startingover
    startingover

Just had a conversation with the family member who was in NY.

We talked about the move out of NY. I was told that moving things in and out of NY is getting impossible. Trucks sitting for hours in traffic, etc. So from that perspective the move makes sense.

I asked about the new DUMBO project. I wanted to know why they were doing that if they were moving everything out of the NYC, who would be occupying all the rooms? I was told they're doing it "because they can". Doing it to make money to build halls other places in the world. Basically doing it to make money.

I remember growing up as a JW in a highly Catholic community. The JW's met above storefronts and other rooms they rented. At that time the Catholics were vilified big time for doing just what the JW's are doing now. All the big buildings and money they had was proof they weren't god's people but just a huge commercial enterprise.

It seems to me that from a loyal JW's viewpoint no matter what the WTS does is OK. Whether it be real estate developing or using the UN for their clout, it's all OK in their mind because of this:

THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS

• startingover
    startingover

Elsewhere,

I posted the above before I read the article you posted. It's almost comical to me now to read that article and all the claims made. You could take any business where people are cooperating and make those same claims. Captives of a concept for sure.

I was watching the Mormon Tabernacle Choir the other night and was impressed at the huge production. Obviously evidence of god's blessing there too.

• blondie
    blondie

So what WTS functions remain in Brooklyn Bethel? Support services for the Bethelites that remain? Laundry, food service, cleaning, etc.. I wonder how much money will actually reach other countries to build KHs. A brother and his family moved to a SA country and paid for a new KH out of their own pocket and helped build it (it wasn't that expensive). Evidently there were low in the list of deserving ones.

Blondie

• startingover
    startingover

I can't say I know for sure, but I would bet any money used to build KH's in other countries will be on a loan basis.

• Ozner
    Ozner

deleted by Ozner.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread
    I asked about the new DUMBO project. I wanted to know why they were doing that if they were moving everything out of the NYC, who would be occupying all the rooms? I was told they're doing it "because they can". Doing it to make money to build halls other places in the world. Basically doing it to make money.

I distinctly remember the Regional Building Committtees telling congregations not to buy more than they need. The congregations are not in the real estate business. So now they're saying don't do it because we say so and we can do it because we can.

Hypocrites!

• metatron
    metatron

I can't wait to hear future news IF contributions keep going down! They could dump the Awake completely and start firing Circuit Overseers!

metatron

• blondie
    blondie

From an inside Bethel source:

- The downsizing is going to take place throughout the entire US Branch: Wallkill, Patterson, and Brooklyn - it is not just Brooklyn.

- It will basically consist of a thinning-out of brothers and sisters who arn't all that important and who may present a higher risk of medical liability. I.e., the young guys will be staying because they are the ones doing vital work (kitchen, laundry, general labor, printing, etc.). The older ones will NOT be forced out - thank goodness.

- These lesser important ones will be "approached" and basically given an ultimatum of accepting an assignment that fits their abilities, desires, needs, etc. Options will include regular pioneering, special pioneering, substitute circuit work, or invitations to Gilead school - ALSO, they may be sent oversees to other Bethel branches. This is not a list of options that they can pick from, it is a list of possibile assignments that they may be given. But it did sound like they might be able to express some preference in certain cases (wink, nudge).

- It is UNlikely that there will be over a thousand leaving.

- New Bethelite applications will still be considered as there is the usualy attrition rate of newer men leaving after a year or so... these will still need to be replaced. However, there will be a tightening of the ranks, so to speak. It will be harder to get in if you are married.

- This is all done out of smarter "resource management." In other words, the reason behind this is to operate a more efficient US Branch.

Well, if it works this time, I can see it working again. Originally, the only Bethel family was in NYC and was around 200 people. I can remember when they started downsizing the farm operations at Wallkill. First, the chicken raising and butchering operation; the pigs, etc. No, faithful JWs reading here, it was not organic and it was not cheaper. Remember this is a publishing business; what publishing house grow food for their employees?

Blondie

• zagor
    zagor

Why are they then buying new property in Brooklyn? What for? What’s the deal?

Oh silly me, real estate investment of course. It's amazing how easily they toy with peoples lives and get away with it.

• zagor
    zagor
    So what WTS functions remain in Brooklyn Bethel? Support services for the Bethelites that remain? Laundry, food service, cleaning, etc.. I wonder how much money will actually reach other countries to build KHs.

Didn't they dissolve much of the Bethel family in India due to "lack of funds" few years ago? Branch there was basically told they could no longer rely on society’s handouts because resources were simply not there, while at the same time were building Taj Mahal equivalents all over the states

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit