Biblical Unitarians?

by serendipity 10 Replies latest jw friends

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I attend a Unitarian-Universalist church, which apparantly is not even close to "Biblical Unitarian". As mentioned above, members are free to find their own theology, with no imposed dogmas. The church serves to focus on common threads which unite people, not divisive things to argue about. Jesus is generally viewed as a humanitarian teacher who attained tremendous popularity during his lifetime (somewhat like Ghandi). Decades after his death, other wrote a lot about him, putting their spin on his teaching, often effectively negating them. Different weight is given to what Jesus is likely to have actually said, and what others said about him. Sermons tend to be about how to be better people or how to form a better society in this life, rather than what is neccessary to do to gain some future reward. In a sermon, the minister may quote from the bible, but is about as likely to quote from other sacred writings such as the Vedas, Upanishads, Koran, or the writings of certain philosophers. I know within my own congregation there are some who identify as christians, as well as many who identify as jewish, pagan, muslim, buddhist, etc. The congregation is also welcoming to gay, bi, lesbian and poly families. In many ways its exactly the opposite of the kingdom hall, and therefore, quite refreshing. Years ago, if someone had told me that some of my best friends would be, for example, lesbians and witches, I would have laughed. But that is exactly how things turned out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit