Do you still believe in bible prophecy?

by JH 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

It would seem if prophecy was important to be understood it would say something like, "In the year 2006 the nations will have a great war and ten years later the end will come." Why would all the important stuff be so shrouded with mystery? If prophecy has no definite meaning or time what good is it?

Ken P.

• Poztate
    Poztate

NO....

• Forscher
    Forscher

Sure do. I just don't belive the WTBTS has the keys of understanding to those prophecies. In fact, I don't know who does!

Forscher

• Reluctant Buddha
    Reluctant Buddha

I still believe in:

Santa Claus

Easter Bunny

Tooth Fairy

Gremlins

Leprechauns

Spontaneous Human Combustion

Nessie

Bigfoot

The Fountain of Youth

Miracles

Prophecy

• JH
    JH
    Sure do. I just don't belive the WTBTS has the keys of understanding to those prophecies. In fact, I don't know who does!

thats the way I feel too

• FairMind
    FairMind

I believe in them but don't know how or when they (the unfulfilled ones) will be fulfilled. It is sad that that so many people lose faith in the Bible because a religion (any religion) is repeatedly proven wrong. This doesn't disprove the Bible, only disproves the presumptious religion.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Reluctant Buddha you missed out the Holy Grail!

Reclacitrant Crumpet no longer has the mark of Daniel on her forehead - ie the one that reads STUPID and does not believe in bible prophecy.

(editted to add: does believe in some prophecy - ie the one that comes after the news and prophecies the weather)

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

It doesn't take much investigating to discover that any prophecies in the Bible that appear to have been clearly and unambiguously fulfilled were written after their fulfillment. The Bible's record is so poor that there is no rational reason for putting any faith in it's predictions.

• Gill
    Gill

Absolutely NOT!!!!!!

Even more so, I don't believe in prophets, especially the prophets of the WTBTS.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

This is was on the first things I struggled with. I kept thinking, but WHAT DOES this prophecy really mean?

I've started to read other Bible commentaries on the matter, simply to compare points of view. I'm amazed to see how logical and interesting the explanations can be. You have to remember the Watchtowers motives. They try to understand everything as if they are the center of Gods amazing plan. Their interpretations become very weak and far fetched because they try to make organizational history fit with Bible Prophecy.

For example, traditionally there have been four different ways to interpret the book of revelation. The Watchtower only presents its own opinion in its book, but there are so many others. This pick and choose method doesn't allow someone who really wants to study the books see what has been the interpretation historically. Most JWs are simply impressed that people could even come up with an explanation for this stuff and don't give it a second thought.

Personally I've enjoyed Albert Barnes commentary when it comes to prophecy. It has its failings like all commentaries, but he makes a good point here and there. Bible commentaries can at the very least, much more logical than a Watchtower book.

And to answer the question, I do feel that Bible prophecy is important but in a different way from what the Watchtower suggests. NT Bible prophecy gives me the sense of glorious things to come, things that are beyond any of us to fully understand. To use such glorious promises and announcements as a way to build faith in a man made organization i feel is absurd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit