What Subjects Get You All Riled Up???

by minimus 15 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

On this board, 2 things seem to get to people-----politics and child abuse......Does anything get you upset or passionate.

• hubert
    hubert

Add "shunning stories" to that list, Min.

Hubert

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah,Hubert, shunning is soooo "Christian", isn't it??

• gumby
    gumby

Fanatical believers

Gumby

• Celia
    Celia

George W. B U S H

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I managed to keep my mouth shut for years with my relatives knowing that saying anything would get me in trouble. Then, in the summer of 2004, my daughter and son-in-law came back from the district assembly. Apparently something was said about how foolish it was that SOME brothers had sold their homes and property in anticipation of 1975. For the first time, I must have gotten "riled up" because I opened my mouth and told them that the WT had encouraged selling their homes and property. My son-in-law said ihe would have to see that in writing. He said, "There is a faithful and discreet slave." I said nothing. A couple of weeks later I produced it in writing, but in the meantime they went to my father who was in a long-term care situation and got him to turn all of his property over to them. It looks like I have been completely disinherited.

I later learned that they told my father that I had questioned the faithful and discreet slave.

So the 1975 fiasco gets me about as riled up as anything. With Clyde it is the UN scandal. Blood and shunning are right there at the top too.

Bonnie

• cheezy
    cheezy

Many - especially if addressed by a JW apologist. Neither hot nor cold, but [unpleasantly] lukewarm. They are the most pathetic people - one foot in, one foot out. I know some who would die for the WT but won't go to a meeting or door to door. A whole pathology to be explored there. I know they are sick and sad, but I find them disgusting. Sorry.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

yes those are the big two for me minimus

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Min--

I'd have to say that both of the subjects that you brought up really get my hair in a bristle. However, I was thinking back, and my Grandpaw always told me that one should never discuss politics, religion, or money with people in gatherings. I guess because it riles people up! I know in our family, we have about equal sides conservative and liberal. In my husband's family, they discuss politics openly, and it has caused a few arguments. I seem to be the only moderate!

The child abuse subject was just never brought up, until recently. Seems like it, alone, causes alot of dissension in groups. But with people coming out of the woodwork with stories about how child abuse messed up their lives, I think this is one subject that should be discussed, and even argued on, so that people become aware and educated on it, despite those who try to keep it in the closet!

Another subject that gets me riled up is environmental and animal issues.

CG

• Forscher
    Forscher

Sorry to hear about that one Bonnie. It sounds to me like your daughter was looking for an excuse to do that to you.

Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit