Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an expert. The stuff in this email could be false. If you use it, use it at your own risk. Also, since about 7/05, I've earnestly tried to keep my large-scale internet presence politically/religiously neutral. Stepping on big toes with such new and powerful technology seems highly incautious in my case.
Hi! This is my first post. Here are some thoughts which have helped to keep me going lately:
0. Sometimes you're the windshield, and sometimes you're the bug. (See saying 1 for the bright side of this.)
1. However, not even a hypothetically good-hearted and intelligent bug wouldn't deny you the enjoyment of your life.
Imagine "the fly" in the place of Val Kilmer (Doc Holiday) when he tells Wyatt Earp on his deathbed, "Live Wyatt. Live for me." Weird thought, I know, but it helps my messed-up head a little.
2. Modified Prayer of Serenity:
May I have the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
3. Some good things have happened to good people.
I've seen some of that. Life isn't all bad.
4. Have faith in the "goodness of time."
What to I mean by that? Compare your freedoms to the slave states of long ago. Progress seems to come with time, yes? I told someone of this recently, and they told me of how they watched a documentary about ancient people living in high caves and pulling up ladders at night to avoid cannibals. I replied something like: "Exactly! The goodness of time! Now people only do that to try to avoid the tax-man!" Even those who live off of the labor of others have learned to only eat half of the person each year, to harvest the rest next year. :P Ah, yes. "The goodness of time."
5. Suicide is a bad idea for a couple of reasons. First, there will be plenty of time to be dead later. I still want to take the small chance that I will make something of my life. Second, I like to try to contribute to the goodness of time out of gratitude for said goodness, and to those who have suffered so greatly to attempt to contribute to it.
Well, there are a few thoughts and sayings that have kept me going for a few months. I've yet to describe why this particular Ex-JW seems so desparate for positive thoughts; but, I hope to do that later. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. :)