Genesis Myth of Jacob and the Speckled Goats

by VM44 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• VM44
    VM44

Genesis 30:37-43

37 Then Jacob took for his use staffs still moist of the storax tree and of the almond tree and of the plane tree and peeled in them white peeled spots by laying bare white places which were upon the staffs. 38 Finally the staffs that he had peeled he placed in front of the flock, in the gutters, in the water drinking troughs, where the flocks would come to drink, that they might get into a heat before them when they came to drink.

39 Consequently the flocks would get in heat before the staffs, and the flocks would produce striped, speckled and color-patched ones. 40 And Jacob separated the young rams and then turned the faces of the flocks to the striped ones and all the dark-brown ones among the flocks of La´ban. Then he set his own droves by themselves and did not set them by the flocks of La´ban. 41 And it always occurred that whenever the robust flocks would get in heat, Jacob would locate the staffs in the gutters before the eyes of the flocks, that they might get in heat by the staffs. 42 But when the flocks showed feebleness he would not locate them there. So the feeble ones always came to be La´ban’s, but the robust ones Jacob’s.

43 And the man went on increasing more and more, and great flocks and maidservants and menservants and camels and asses came to be his.

COMMENT

Interesting story, but the striped, speckled and color-patched goats do NOT result from the parent goats facing striped layered trees!

Jacob's cleverness would not work in reality!

This one example should be enough to show that Genesis is a collection of mythical stories!

--VM44

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

But what I want to know is: Does the [Genesis Myth of Jacob and the Speckled Goats] have racist overtones?

Thanks VM44, that is quite an interesting example of "early scientific endeavor" I wonder if anyone has attempted to replicate his experiment?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• VM44
    VM44

The defence that it was God who made a miracle and caused the goats to be speckled CANNOT be made as the story does not mention anything about God taking action. The story is about Jacob's cleverly outwitting Laban.

The story is very specific about what "caused" the goats to be born speckled color.

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Hi AuldSoul,

No, no racist overtones in this story.

I recall that some have tried to say that Jacob used genetics to breed the speckled color goats, but that is a stretch, as the story again states very explicitly that the mating goats VIEWED striped trees, which then determined the nature of the offspring!

Does anyone have the WT-library CD handy? How does The Watchtower try to defend this story? They probably will add to the story and say that Jehovah stepped it. The story, however, does not say that that happened.

--VM44

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

One funny thing is that many apologists (including the WT) point to 31:10ff in which Jacob explains the outcome by an act of the god who matched the right kind of males with the females. Even though this text may reflect a different source, in the extant Genesis narrative it actually sounds like a strategical rationalisation so as to conceal Jacob's trick (which he "knows" to be the real cause) to Laban's daughters which might not have found it so funny.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Here is from the Insight book, entry "Jacob":

Jacob

Made Rich Before Leaving Haran. On completing his 14-year work contract for the acquisition of his wives, Jacob was anxious to return to his homeland. But Laban, seeing how Jehovah had blessed him because of Jacob, insisted that he continue overseeing his flocks; Jacob was even told to stipulate his own wages. In that part of the world the sheep and goats are generally of a solid color, the sheep being white, the goats black. Jacob therefore asked that only the sheep and goats with abnormal colors or markings be given to him—all the sheep dark brown in color and all the goats with any white marks. "Why, that is fine!" was Laban’s reply. And to keep the wages as low as possible, Laban, at Jacob’s suggestion, separated out of the flocks all the striped, speckled, and color-patched goats and the dark-brown young male sheep, which he gave to his own sons to look after, even putting a three-day distance between them, to prevent any interbreeding of the two flocks. Only abnormally colored ones born in the future would be Jacob’s.—Ge 30:25-36.

So here Jacob started off tending only sheep of normal color and goats with no markings. However, he worked hard and did what he thought would increase the number of off-colored animals. He took green sapling staffs of the storax, almond, and plane trees, and peeled the barks of these in such a way as to give them a striped, spotty appearance. These he placed in the gutters of the animals’ drinking troughs, apparently with the idea that if the animals looked at the stripes when in heat there would be a prenatal influence that would make the offspring mottled or abnormal in color. Jacob also took care to place the sticks in the troughs only when the stronger robust animals were in heat.—Ge 30:37-42.

Results? The offspring abnormally marked or colored, and therefore Jacob’s wages, proved to be more numerous than those of normal solid color, which were to be Laban’s. Since the desired results were obtained, Jacob probably thought his stratagem with the striped sticks was responsible. In this he no doubt shared the same misconception commonly held by many people, namely, that such things can have an effect on the offspring. However, in a dream his Creator instructed him otherwise.

In his dream Jacob learned that certain principles of genetics, and not the sticks, were responsible for his success. Whereas Jacob was tending only solid-colored animals, yet the vision revealed that the male goats were striped, speckled, and spotty. How could this be? Apparently they were hybrids even though of uniform color, the result of crossbreeding in Laban’s flock before Jacob began being paid. So certain of these animals carried in their reproductive cells the hereditary factors for spotting and speckling future generations, according to the laws of heredity discovered by Gregor Mendel in the last century.—Ge 31:10-12.

During the six years that Jacob worked under this arrangement, Jehovah greatly blessed and prospered him by increasing not only his flocks but also the number of his servants, camels, and asses, and this in spite of the fact that Laban kept changing the agreed-upon wages. Finally, "the true God of Bethel" instructed Jacob to return to the Promised Land.—Ge 30:43; 31:1-13, 41.

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Narkissos,

Genesis 31:4-13

4 Then Jacob sent and called Rachel and Le´ah out to the field to his flock, 5 and he said to them:“I am seeing the face of YOUR father, that he is not the same toward me as formerly; but the God of my father has proved to be with me. 6 And YOU yourselves certainly know that with all my power I have served YOUR father. 7 And YOUR father has trifled with me and he has changed my wages ten times, but God has not allowed him to do me harm. 8 If on the one hand he would say, ‘The speckled ones will become your wages,’ then the whole flock produced speckled ones; but if on the other hand he would say, ‘The striped ones will become your wages,’ then the whole flock produced striped ones. 9 So God kept taking the herd of YOUR father away and giving it to me. 10 At last it came about at the time when the flock got in heat that I raised my eyes and saw a sight in a dream and here the he-goats springing upon the flock were striped, speckled and spotty. 11 Then the angel of the [true] God said to me in the dream, ‘Jacob!’ to which I said, ‘Here I am.’ 12 And he continued, ‘Raise your eyes, please, and see all the he-goats springing upon the flock are striped, speckled and spotty, for I have seen all that La´ban is doing to you. 13 I am the [true] God of Beth´el, where you anointed a pillar and where you vowed a vow to me. Now get up, go out of this land and return to the land of your birth.’”

So the deal with Jacob stripping the trees, and having the mating goats look at them, was all subterfuge? Jehovah had already told Jacob in a dream that the goats would be speckled color?

So what is the point the writer of the story is trying to make?

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

The Insight book wrote: "In his dream Jacob learned that certain principles of genetics".

I see no principles of genetics given in Genesis 31!

--VM44

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

when I was still in, at one point, I was trying to put my all into being a good 'dub..........which meant I read and did research on the bible reading for the week. These verses fascinated me, and I did research on them in the Insight books.............don't ask me to try and remember what I read...........lol..........it's been too many years...............(remembering I still have the insight books.............nah, can't bring myself to crack them tonite...........)

• VM44
    VM44

Narkissos,

Thank you for finding that and posting it here.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit