BABIES ON THE WAY!

by colorado5591 15 Replies latest social family

• colorado5591
    colorado5591

Oh! I am so happy! My cute little Chiweiner dog is going to be a mommy for the first time! I took her to the vet and he did a sonogram revealing 3-5 oh so cute and quite active pups. Poor thing is HUGE and quite miserable.

I have looked up alot of information on cainine whelping that seems helpful but do any of you have any advice or personal experiences in the doggie birthing process? I still feel kinda nervous about the whole deal.

~Amy~

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

All I know is "water and towels," but that is just from movies.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    I have looked up alot of information on cainine whelping that seems helpful but do any of you have any advice or personal experiences in the doggie birthing process? I still feel kinda nervous about the whole deal.

It's all pretty natural for the mother dog once the process begins. The only thing you may want to do is to keep watch just in case something does go wrong, trying not to make the mother nervous. Some Mama dogs will want you there and others won't want the intrusion so just follow the mama dog's lead. Avoid at all cost touching the pups until she has them all cleaned up and they have nuzzled and nursed a bit, in fact if you can possibly keep your hands off them until the next day it's better for Mom and baby to make a bonding since they go by smell more than anything else your scent will confuse the pup, most pups die in this first crucial few hours after birth because the mama dog rejects them so this is pretty important.

How exciting! I watched my last female dog give birth to 13 pups! Boy was I tired, hey it took a few hours! LOL She successfully nursed all 13 to healthy young pups which we gave away.

Anyway enjoy! Happy panting!

• colorado5591
    colorado5591
    trying not to make the mother nervous. Some Mama dogs will want you there and others won't want the intrusion so just follow the mama dog's lead.

Right now, she wont let me out of her sight! Whenever she gets real uncomfortable she wants to lay upside down on my lap and have her belly rubbed and scratched. If she licks those new pups half as much as she licks on me, they will be fine. Everytime I wash my hands she licks and licks them. Vet said it is because she wants to keep her scent on me too. Weird eh?

I have been real gentle and loving with her, giving her much attention so she knows that I am not a threat. When my husband approaches her when she is not on my lap or at my feet, she starts demonstrating submissive behavior and looking real nervous. With me she seems to be fine and tail waggly. If she does not warm up to him more by the time she gives birth, I will have to banish him to another room.

Her birthing box is all set and she has been spending some time in there. I go to her box every once in a while to pet her and love her gently. Thus far, she seems to welcome and enjoy my presence in her box but anything can happen once labor starts right?!

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

When the pups are on their way, take her to an unfamiliar environment, strap her to a table and shine bright lights on her. Suround her with strangers. If you can get some drugs in her to make her woozy or partially paralysed, do so.

Sorry, my mistake, that only "works" for humans.

Our labrador birthed 11 pups without any problems. My husband woke up and stayed with her some of the time. Your chiweiner will do fine! It's the night feeds when the pups are weaning you should be worrying about.......

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

It's great that you're researching, reading, and asking for advice - keep it up. However, I'd avoid asking questions on certain boards - like Petfinder - because you will be flayed alive for not having her spayed before now.

One thing you can work on - if you haven't already - is finding good homes for all the pups before they're born. Talk to potential owners and meet them, if possible, so you know the pups will be taken care of well and will be in their homes for a long time - hopefully for the rest of their lives.

You may want to purchase a book on the process so you have a reference at hand during the big event. It also wouldn't hurt to know the location of the closest emergency vet's office.

Getting Mama spayed after the birth is still a good idea, as it will cut down the risks of some very nasty illnesses in the future.

• Dimples
    Dimples

Don't know anything on the doggie birthing process but I was there when my Mom's cat gave birth to her 5 kittens. It was beautiful! The mommy cat did everything. I have 2 of the cats I saw being born and they are spoiled rotten. Good Luck!

DIMPLES

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

think you just leave her alone, imagine if you were giving birth and a big gaint kept interferring!

im waiting for my cat jemima to get pregnant it doesnt seem to be happening think my old jw morals must have rubbed off on her

• colorado5591
    colorado5591
    I'd avoid asking questions on certain boards - like Petfinder - because you will be flayed alive for not having her spayed before now.

I don't ask questions on other boards! Why would I when I have you all?

• colorado5591
    colorado5591

Well all,

Dreamer finally had her babies new years afternoon. Delivery was nervous for me but momma dog gave a capital performance! Yep, 5 little monsters, crawling all over each other, competing for nipple time.

It has been a glorious day!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit