| Hope you don't mind if I share a couple of points of why I think Jesus is returning as human. (Just my thoughts)|
1. He's called son of man...not of God
2. His quest "to break kings to pieces, to execute judgement among nations, to break to pieces the head one over a populous land" How can a spirit man execute judgement?
3. Rev.16:14 Jesus will battle with the kings of the earth @ Armaggedon. How can a spirit man battle?
4. Is. 11 "He must strike the earth with the rod of his mouth and with the spirit of his lips he will put the wicked one to death."
How can a spirit talk for all to hear?
5. Man in linen in Is. 9 and Dan. 12 is separating people with a secretaries ink horn. Again a man...and with a writing tool...Jesus is one who is separating, right? Couldn't he be this man?
6. Jer. 4:5 Jesus will appear as a signal to the nations, one that people would rally around. Heart of kings perish and heart of princes, priests driven to astonishment.
7. He'd come in a cloud, like a theif in the night. His identity would be obscured. He would be not detected by most.
8. In Dan.7 he's taken up to gain access to God and given the kingdom as a "son of man". If he was already @ God's right hand, why the need to be taken up?
Will Jesus return as a man with flesh and blood?
Revelation 1:7 - Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. Matthew 24:30 - (Jesus says) And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. Sounds like an invisible second coming to me!
Rev.16:14 Jesus will battle with the kings of the earth @ Armaggedon. How can a spirit man battle?
how did angels kill firstborn sons? how does God do anything if a spirit can't affect the physical world?
He's called son of man...not of God
jesus was called the son of God many times in the NT... there's like 100 examples of that in the book of john alone
p.s. im not saying jesus isn't coming back as flesh and blood... the bible says he was raised as flesh and blood and ascended as flesh and blood. i just think a couple of your arguments are a little weak...
Thanks for your feedback, guys. I think the clouds could represent is identity being obscurred. And on the clouds of Heaven, meaning from a high and lofty place, (his ideals and principles). And every eye seeing him could mean he would be a famous person, worldwide. I looked up 'son of man' in the insite book and it talks about that as being an earthly man born of a human man. It all adds up to me. Any comments??/ Thanks for the 2 comments.
According to the Bible, Jesus is going to arrive on a white horse with a sword protruding from his mouth.
If he gets through customs - lets hope he has the sense to stay off the Freeway!
Welcome Star Moore
I think the NT writings are divided on this issue (as well as many others).
In Pauline and some post-Pauline literature the resurrected Jesus is a spirit -- the Spirit (1 Corinthians 15:45; 2 Corinthians 3:17; Galatians 4:6; 1 Peter 3:18).
The Lukan resurrection stories, otoh, insist that Jesus is not a spirit (Luke 24:36ff).
In apocalyptic tradition (Daniel 7 and 1 Enoch) the "Son of Man" is a heavenly character. In John, in particular, he is the one who descended from heaven (3:13; 6:62). In such a context, this is definitely not a reference to Jesus' humanity.
, Dear Narkissos, thanks for the welcome.
I looked up all the scriptures you presented...Here's a rundown of thoughts...I Cor. 14:45..is talking about when Jesus went to heaven to sit at God's right hand. II Cor. 3:17 is talking about Jesus as being a life giving spirt in heaven @ the time of the writing. Gal. 4:6 talks of God sending for the spirit of his son..Does Jesus have a holy spirit too? Perhaps....I Pet. 3:18 talks of Jesus being made alive in the spirit...could that be when he recieved God's spirit at his baptism? Actually I'm thinking of the 2nd coming, not actually these instances.
Also you mentioned the account of Jesus receiving the kingdom in Dan. 7. It's says he is taken up and gained access to the Ancient of Days and became near to him.. Symbolic talk to be sure. I'm sure he could still be a man at the time of his receiving the kingdom as Moses gained access to God when he received the law. I believe he saw God's glory in a sense. What do you think friends?
Zech 14:3-4 Then the Lord will go out to fight against those nations as He fights on a day of battle. On that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, which faces Jerusalem on the east. The Mount of Olives will be split in half from east to west, forming a huge valley, so that half the mountain will move to the north and half to the south.
Sounds like a man to me.
Wow , thanks..never saw that scripture..mount Zion could be symbolic of the government of God...Thanks again.
Or maybe, Bible is a book written by men and there ain't no Jesus coming back in cloud?