How could a dead man seek to kill Baby Jesus?

by THE SHOOTIST 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mdb
    mdb
    If the slaughter was only in Bethlehem, why did they flee all the way to Egypt?

Why? So the prophecy would come true.

"...out of Egypt I called My Son." Hosea 11:1; Matt 2:15

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    According to Luke, John was only 6 months older than Jesus, so... John was only 6 months older than Jesus.

Oh boy, how could I miss that?

Why? So ;the prophecy would come true.

"...out of Egypt I ;called My Son." Hosea 11:1; Matt 2:15

Why, of course, since Matthew says so!

Now, mdb, if you had not read Matthew, would you construe Hosea 11:1 as a "prophecy"? Honest?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    According to Luke, John was only 6 months older than Jesus, so... John was only 6 months older than Jesus.

It has been suggested that the time sequence of events in the Elizebeth/Mary pregnancy story was drawing upon the Jubilees story of the birth of Isaac.

12 thence, and dwelt at the Well of the Oath. And in the middle of the sixth month the Lord visited
    13 Sarah and did unto her as He had spoken and she conceived. And she bare a son in the third month, and in the middle of the month, at the time of which the Lord had spoken to Abraham, on
    14 the festival of the first fruits of the harvest, Isaac was born.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Did anyone catch the History Channel's "Jesus" weekend? They had an excellent couple of hours on the origins of the Christmas "story" and discussed both the timing of Jesus' birth and the story of Herrod's "slaughter of the innocents".

It was pretty interesting. The thought on the Herrod story was that: a) Herrod could have and would have committed such an atrocity, as he even had a number of his own family members murdered, b) The population of Bethlehem was so small that it may have only comprised 20 children, thus having been insignificant enough to escape the radar, c) that it probably didn't happen and was a ripoff of the "Moses" story used to try and give credibility to the Messiah.

As to Jesus' birth year, they claim that it is most likely between 4-6 B.C. When the Roman researcher who established the modern AD calender did his research, he basically didn't do it right and thus the error.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit