People From _________ will laugh at us even more now!

by Why Georgia 17 Replies latest social current

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

My 5 year old son plays soccer. He's no Beckham or Pele but he is learning the game and he loves it. I can barely get him to wear a helmet to ride his bike and now this.

Massachusetts will be the only state in the U.S. to have this rule if it passes. Our soccer teams from PeeWee to college age will be mocked and laughed at. Might as well just change all the soccer team names to the Massachusetts Retards.

Try not to laugh at us to much. With Ted Kennedy and John Kerry in office it probably will pass..

Chrystal

Idea of soccer helmets kicked around •Physicians say headgear protects the growing brains of younger players By RUSSELL NICHOLS and RAJA MISHRA Boston Globe

Like football and hockey players, soccer players would have to don helmets on the field to protect their heads under a new legislative proposal in Massachusetts. No other states appear to have passed a similar law, Massachusetts lawmakers and physicians said. The measure would cover everyone from peewee leagues to college teams.

With strong evidence of long-term neurological damage among a portion of veteran soccer players, some soccer officials, parents and physicians around the nation have recently been pushing for more safety measures for young players, including an outright ban of heading, an integral part of the world's most popular sport.

Physicians say requiring headgear for youth soccer players was not unreasonable because collisions between players and with the goal posts are the most frequent causes of soccer head injuries.

"There's pretty good evidence that growing brains are more susceptible to injury," said Dr. Lyle J. Micheli, director of sports medicine at Children's Hospital Boston. "It might make sense for kids under 14."

But some soccer coaches, trainers and parents see the measure as unnecessary meddling by politicians.

Allison Canale, 44, of Rutland, Mass., who has been involved with soccer for 12 years as a coach and parent, said children don't have enough collisions to warrant helmets.

"It's a contact sport from the hips down," she said, adding that her young players probably would feel hampered on the field by headgear. "It's already difficult for me to get the boys to wear the ankle guards."

A 1997 study done by Northwestern University's medical school found that 2 percent to 3 percent of soccer injuries are to the head, the same rate as in football. A 1992 Norwegian study found that 35 percent of active soccer players in that country had abnormal brain scans, and another study in that country of retired professional players found a third of them had brain atrophy, or a shrinking of brain tissue that results in behavioral and cognitive problems.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Why Georgia.This is absolute madness!I suspect you've got squadrons of hand-wringing mothers in SUV's running around screaming "Think of the children!!!!
    It is a contact sport which becomes more and more physical as the kids get older.This is part of the fun,especially for boys.The kids need to be taught how to head the ball correctly from the day they start playing and in all my years as a player (still am)I have never been witness to brain damage of any kind from heading or a clash of heads.Plenty of broken legs and fingers so maybe we should stop tackling and remove goal keepers!If helmets come in you should move to another state because we WILL laugh at you.

Actually,FIFA,(the other governing body) wouldn't even take a second look at the idea.I was going to list a whole stack of reasons but it just won't happen.If some parents are so worried they should wrap little Johnny up in cotton wool and let him learn chess.

Phew!That's me.Pete.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

A 1992 Norwegian study found that 35 percent of active soccer players in that country had abnormal brain scans.

They'd find a higher percentage of dubs with abnormal brain scans.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Who cares if people laugh? If this helps the kids be safer, then it's worth it. Kennedy and Kerry caring about your kids' saftey and you're knocking them for it. Just be glad any politician cares about the saftey of young ones.

• colorado5591
    colorado5591
    Just be glad any politician cares about the saftey of young ones.

Wow, that sounds real good on paper but for some reason I don't think it is just about the safety of the children as much as it is about politicians and the parties they belong to having their own agendas trying to get some approval from this human interest" issue.

No one wants to see our wee ones suffering massive brain trauma for the sake of sports but since

There's pretty good evidence that growing brains are more susceptible to injury," said Dr. Lyle J. Micheli, director of sports medicine at Children's Hospital Boston.

Why can't the helmet wearing be optional...up to the parents who have chosen the option of putting their kids in soccer?

With strong evidence of long-term neurological damage among a portion of veteran soccer players

Likely due to them being veteran players! Probably people who are career players and not who played it as kids and later moved on to different paths that feature less physical trauma as a whole.

• avishai
    avishai

I remember the padding we wore in the seventies for bike riding, etc. I think the pad's were called something like "scabs". Or maybe scar's.

Seriously, though, we make them wear helmets for American football, I don't really see the harm in it.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

people you can not be serious!Helmets on footballers!Why not lower the net so that volleyballers don't get shin splints from all that dangerous jumping up and down.Maybe we should cut all the trees down and make the kids stay inside with the X-Box!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Seriously, though, we make them wear helmets for American football, I don't really see the harm in it.

Yes, and kids wear helmets for bicycle riding as well. Is it a choice for each set of parents? No.

To protect the kids' heads against injury does not require that they sit inside and play X box.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

The fact is this isn't just for the little children. They are trying to pass this as a law from Pee wee soccer up to college.

Most college aged people are adults and should be able to make their own decisions regarding their own body.

It is not mandatory for children to wear helmets while playing La Cross and I would suggest that La Cross is a lot more dangerous than soccer. Someone is hurling a small very hard baseball type ball at your head!

I have no problem with shin guards, elbow & wrist guards and athletic supporters...for soccer. But helmets in pee wee soccer is ridiculous!

The soccer field is 1/4 of the size of regular soccer.

The nets are also 1/4 of the size.

The children play 2 - 16 minute periods - with everyone playing - 4 players on the field at each time from each team for 4 minutes each.

Most of the kids are too busy picking their noses, scratching various bits and pieces, and waving at their parents to actually be playing soccer.

What I observed was usually it was one child (usually the coaches son or daughter) run down the little field by themself with the ball and scoring with little or no blocking at all.

A helmet just seems extremely un necessary.

But this is just my opinion,

Chrystal

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Most college aged people are adults and should be able to make their own decisions regarding their own body.

Respectfully, college and professional American football players are required to wear helmets. And batters are required to wear helmets in pro baseball. Maybe Lacrosse is next? It won't hurt pee wees to wear helmets, but it might hurt them not to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit