Family Bible Study

by drew sagan 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I thought this article on freeminds.org was good.

http://freeminds.org/psych/exithelp.htm

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Turn it into a "how easily some people are misled" study.

eg. WT literature continuously states how the world is getting worse, worse, worse - an easy thing to refute using a variety of sources - no antibiotics, poor infrastructure, class distinction, old style 'religion', etc etc

Just get hold of it ahead of time and pull it to pieces bit by bit - I don't know if I've ever read one fully but from what I've seen there's not much that would stand academic rigor.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Grab a bible, ask some questions. and try to find some answers. And remember, you are a child too. Everyone needs to start finding out what every word in the bible means to Jehovah, EVERY word. Take nothing on your own reasoning, not "fire", "bad associations", "bread", "wild beasts", I followed the footnotes every one and got a clearer understanding of what the words meant in His vocabulary, throwing aside mine. I learned a whole lot too. I did revelation this way word for word, took me months! I haven't had time to do any of the others. Don't take my word for it though, try it yourself. I could accidently mislead you, but Jesus(you know "the Word of God) I don't think he can or would. That is how I learned.

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

I know this sounds like a novel idea but how about a bible study using THE BIBLE and no publications. You could get a NIV bible or some other bible that reads easy. Let them use whatever translation they want. You could cover topics like who has a heavenly hope. Go to Hebrews Chapter 11, where it says that Abraham,Enoch and all of them had a heavenly hope. Or maybe you could talk about Jesus and share what the bible says about him and not what the Borg teaches. It works thats how I got my husband out. I read bible verses to him and asked him what he thought they meant. He realized on his own.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am so pleased that others had the same experience as me. Finally Free, I know exactly what you mean..................

I started thinking though , on this thread. What would I do if I was to take a family study now? 1] Have the Bible only several translations ,2} concentate firstly on the words of Jesus, 3} Have, What them imagine that they have never read that scripture before and then say "What does that tell me?" . Then never stifle comment or alternative thoughts . Might be interesting.

• jgnat
    jgnat

There's no reason to follow the program and look up "approved" interpretations on the WT CD. Instead, why don't you gradually introduce independent thinking during the study of a selected book of the bible? Amazing 1914 endorses it, since the studies allowed him to gradually wean his family from their dependence on Watchtower materials. You can't argue with success.

I like the concept, at least, of the inductive bible study.

How to Study Your Bible for Kids (Discover 4 Yourself Inductive Bible Studies for Kids) (Paperback) by Kay Arthur , Janna Arndt

The Mountain View Church of the Nazarene produces an Advent Bible Study every Christmas. The concept is cool but I find the drawings dorky. Your children will not be fooled.

http://www.mtviewnaz.org/advent/Advent.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the KM list the bible verses to be studied each week? You could study those, and be theocratically approved on the surface, or perhaps start with the book of John. Notice how the Watchtower materials almost never reference the book of John.

• Truth.Seeker
    Truth.Seeker

Thanks jgnat for that graphic and reference. I would like to begin a family study where we learn about God and his Son Jesus without misleading references to scriptures. I understand how important it is to study and read God's Word to our family and I think this may be a good starting point.

truth.seeker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit