Acts 8:37

by Shawn 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Though others had previously worked at thus refining the text of the "New Testament," in the late 19th century two Cambridge scholars, B. F. Westcott and F. J. A. Hort, produced a refined text that has been widely accepted. It was published in 1881; yet a professor recently said:

"Westcott and Hort did their work so thoroughly and with such exceptional skill that textual work since then has been either in reaction to or in implementation of theirs. . . . What is significant is that even those who tended to disagree with Westcott and Hort’s [method] published Greek texts that differed very little from theirs."—Christianity Today, June 22, 1973, p. 8.

This refined text by Westcott and Hort has been used as a basic text for a number of recent translations, including the New World Translation.

And this professor's name is...?

This is just one more 'proof' that I made the correct decision when I dissasociated the apostates on the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses for twisting the Word of God.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Narkissos....Do you know any English translation of the Western text of Acts per se? It would be interesting to read it as a connected text straight through, and see how it departs from the Alexandrine/Byzantine text types....

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

In English, I don't know.

In French we have the remarkable work of Marie-Emile Boismard and Arnaud Lamouille, Les Actes des deux apôtres (Coll. Etudes bibliques, Paris, Cerf, 1990, 3 vol.). You probably have it in your library as it is one of the leading works in this field.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

This was a question someone asked me to try and defer me from the jw's. They hadn't prepped me on the answer, but it was located in the back of the nwt, stating something to the effect that it was a duplicate verse.

Acts 8:37 (Contemporary English Version)

Contemporary English Version (CEV)

Copyright © 1995 by American Bible Society

36-37 As they were going along the road, they came to a place where there was some water. The official said, "Look! Here is some water. Why can't I be baptized?" [ a ]

Footnotes:

1. Acts 8:36 Why can't I be baptized: Some manuscripts add, "Philip replied, `You can, if you believe with all your heart.' The official answered, `I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.'"
  • DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact, the uunuch was "set free", didn't have to go see Phillip three times a week, pay him money to understand the bible, spend the rest of his life following Phillip, Or having Phillip pray for him and teach him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit