Did Jesus have dreadlocks?

by MsMcDucket 11 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Milkshakesrtasti/dreadlocks.jpg

Did Jesus (Yah'shuah) have dreadlocks?

Today, many who have dreadlocks as a casual hairstyle know very little about the origins of dreadlocks.

The origin of dreadlock comes from the times of Moses when there was a tribe called the Nazarenes (read in the Bible: Numbers: chapter 6) who wore dreadlocks, as did Samson as a sign of their covenant to the almighty God.

Jesus was a Nazarite: a vow of Nazarenes was to never cut his hair but "let the locks of the hair of his head grow." (Nm. 6:2,5, Lv. 19:27; 21:5) The word Nazarite is from nazar, meaning unshorn. Woolly nappy hair if simply washed & dried but never combed or brushed, will naturally entwine into long locks as it grows .

Upon accepting the Nazerite Vow, one becomes a Nazarene and is separated from the "world" but lives closer to God. The vow consists of not cutting the hair and other strict dietary laws to maintain a healthful state of mind and body.

Samson, the most famous example of locked hair, had seven locks. (Jg. 13:5, 16:17 ,19) Samson got his strength form his dread locks. It may say braids, or just locks in the Bible, but if you think about it, he most likely had dreads.

I n eastern Africa , dreads were worn by warriors and different tribes in Kenya , and a hairstyle of ancient Kemet and Nubia . However in Jamaica , in a post slavery society and Eurocentric culture, the hairstyle was deemed in the early years as "dreadful" in appearance, and proved to be an immediate way to locate those who were not interested in partaking of "normal" way of life. The early dreadlocks were the first protestors of Jamaica by claiming their identity, and expressing a realized concept of the spiritual connotations that came with growing the hair unadulterated without any chemicals or sharp objects. For the Rastas to be black, dreaded and bearded was a more realistic image of Yah'shuah, whom they call “the Christ”.

Hair is really antennae which can receive and transmit energy! A Rastafarian explains that dreadlocks are a quality of Black people; they "are high-tension wires," which transmits divine energy and inspiration from Jah [God], the creator, to Rasta, the mirror." As Blacks awaken to true self-knowledge and self-acceptance this brings, the negative racist conditioning with respect to their natural spiraling, nappy hair as "bad" and straighter hair as "good" will cease!

edited to get the my entire photobucket file off

• Dune
    Dune

The whole jesus was black bit. lol. My brother and I have reached the conclusion that even if it was discovered today that Jesus was black, nothing would change for those of african descent.

Anyway, werent the NazERITES the ones that werent allowed to cut their hair and not the NazERENES?

Crazy rasta mons.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

(Made me think of Valis, whom I miss...)

Seems to me that the Gospels' Jesus enjoyed wine too much to be a Nazirite by the standards of Numbers 6...

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

You guys are right, but that means that all the pictures that we see of Jesus with "long hair" are wrong. The Nazarites by law were to have long hair and not drink wine. Why do they depict Jesus as having long hair?

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Perhaps he wore his hair like Sideshow Bob on the Simpsons?

• Maryjane
    Maryjane

They were instructed not to cut their hair...were they instructed not to comb it also? And what's the difference between a Nazarite and a Nazarene? Were all residents of Nazareth Nazarites (or Nazarenes?)

And most importantly, does it matter?

• Maryjane
    Maryjane
    You guys are right, but that means that all the pictures that we see of Jesus with "long hair" are wrong. The Nazarites by law were to have long hair and not drink wine. Why do they depict Jesus as having long hair?

Maybe long hair wasn't the sole possession of Nazar-ites/enes. Rastas wear dreadlocks today for spiritual reasons but it's not uncommon to find dreadlocked people with no connection at all to Rastafarianism (sp?)

Who knows how Jesus really wore his hair. Does it matter?

Also, with all the parallells between Jesus' story and that of Krisna, Horus, and other pre-christian deities who knows if he was even a historical personage at all!

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

The problem here is that these people are ignorant. There is a difference between a Nazarite and a Nazarene.

: a vow of Nazarenes was to never cut his hair but "let the locks of the hair of his head grow." (Nm. 6:2,5, Lv. 19:27; 21:5) The word Nazarite is from nazar, meaning unshorn. Woolly nappy hair if simply washed & dried but never combed or brushed, will naturally entwine into long locks as it grows.

It doesn't really matter to me, but if they want to make stupid claims like this, at least get the definitions right. NOWHERE in the Bible does it say "Jesus was a Nazarite"... ... Jesus was a Nazarene, which means an inhabitant of Nazareth. Christianity was known as the "Sect of the Nazarenes" simply because that was Jesus home town. The Bible character "Jesus" did not take a vow to never shave his hair...... it was the Nazarites who took this vow. Samson was a Nazarite, who took the vow to never cut the locks of his hair. Even with all of this, Samson would still probably not have had dreadlocks in the Rastafarian sence of the word, simply because he was ethnically Hebrew, not Kenyan or Nubian.

Samson, the most famous example of locked hair, had seven locks. (Jg. 13:5, 16:17 ,19) Samson got his strength form his dread locks. It may say braids, or just locks in the Bible, but if you think about it, he most likely had dreads.

Really? He most likely had dreads did he? Really? What is the proof?

Hair is really antennae which can receive and transmit energy! A Rastafarian explains that dreadlocks are a quality of Black people; they "are high-tension wires," which transmits divine energy and inspiration from Jah [God], the creator, to Rasta, the mirror." As Blacks awaken to true self-knowledge and self-acceptance this brings, the negative racist conditioning with respect to their natural spiraling, nappy hair as "bad" and straighter hair as "good" will cease!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! I've never heard of such rubbish. My black hair is an antenna, bwahahahahaha!!!... ...and is this guy saying that the negative racial conditioning can be got rid of by applying a contrary racist conditioning: "nappy" hair as "good" and straighter hair as "bad"? Remember that these are the people who think that white people are an abnormal mutation, who were genetically engineered by a mad black scientist in a scientific laboratory in the "Garden of Eden", then banished to Europe 6000 years ago... These are the people who believe that homosexuality is a psychological deviation of the white man that spreads to the black population only because the black man thinks he is inferior and tries to copy the white man.

These are the people who believe black women perm (relax or straighten) their hair, because they want to be more like the white woman. They are shamed to be black. I spit on these people. Afrocentrism is just a manifestation of black racism. It is a myth created for the purpose of denigrating white people and elevating black people.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Afrocentrism is just a myth created for the purpose of denigrating white people and elevating black people. If these people just behaved normally, they wouldn't need to elevate themselves so artificially. Try their best to succeed in their own lives, lead by example. Elevate theirselves instead of trying to pull others down to their level.

Another example of the ignorance of these people... I was "street witnessing" about 8/9 years ago, with a "sister" who was round about my age (we were both about 13/14, dunno what we were doing alone together, but she was already baptised at the time). Anyway, we met an afrocentist and were talking to him for ages. We asked him "What do you believe?"... he said, "you cannot use the word "believe" because it has the word "lie" in it: "b-e-L-I-E-v-e". The white man has hidden words in our language, so that everytime we speak, we're actually demeaning ourselves".... He showed such a poor knowledge of historical linguistics but went on like he knew everything. We were there for ages, and i was argueing with him that in French the word for "believe", "croire" doesn't have a "lie" in it: in French "lie" = "mensonge"... His theory was nonsense, and he was ignorant and dogmatic in his ignorance.

Ignorant people have wild imaginations, and make the most risible claims. Nothing wrong with that per se, because everyone is ignorant about something, no-one knows everything... However, when they are dogmatic about it, and show their ignorance to a greater extent by argueing with people who actually know what they're talking about, they show themselves up as idiots. It makes it even worse when they use their racism to advance their racist or homophobic agenda.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

In the Gospels Jesus is called either a Nazôraios or a Nazarenos. Whereas the latter form can mean an inhabitant of Nazareth, the former cannot. Although artificially connected with Nazareth in Matthew 1:23 etc., nazôraios has nothing to do with geography. In Acts 24:5 (note the plural) it is the name of a religious group/sect (just as "Pharisees, Sadducees, Essenes" etc.). Perhaps it was originally a self-designation of the so-called "Judeo-Christians," even before Jesus became a central figure to it. A similar use appears in some versions of the rabbinical Shemone 'esre, the "18 blessings" which contain curses again the heretics (minim) in general and, in some mss, the noçrim (Nazoraioi / Nazarenes) in particular.

The etymology of nazôraios has been connected with nazir ("Nazirite"), neçer ("sprout," Isaiah 11:1), but this is linguistically improbable. A better explanation traces it back to the neçurim, "redeemed, saved, survivors" (Isaiah 49:6; Ezekiel 6:12 etc.) which fits a collective label better. Whatever the case, it is pretty clear that Nazoraios is not originally a Messianic name in the individual sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit