Blood and sacrifice alternative view point

by Spectrum 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Interesting thesis TD,

I say to myself abstain from blood? The question would then be how? Don't jump in it, don't touch it, don't drink it and so on.

Is it not the letter that was sent that didn't supply the context? But the context is supplied in the rest of the Bible ie as food.

But Paul also tells us that the Spirit and Grace of Christ are what really counts, what we eat including blood is not important.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

AudSoul,

It seems that Christ himself would have administered a blood transfusion on the sabbath nevermind any other day of the week in order to save a life. If the sabbath could be broken to save a life then why not the use-of-blood law - even though we know that it did not include transfusions.

It's clear that JWs have got this totally wrong.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    does early rabinical understanding of scripture bear any relevance to christians of then and today?

The logical argument in the Synoptic controversies (i.e., that law-observant Jews would "break" or "set aside" the sabbath to save even an animal life) suggests that this principle was indeed common to Pharisaic and Judeo-Christian thought. The principle they agreed on, the application was different.

Btw, also in Islamic casuistics a similar concern is found. Important as the Ramadan fasting is, it would be a sin, not a good work, to risk one's life by observing it (in case of health problems, for instance). It took a modern Western religion to misapply ancient Eastern religious precepts in such a silly way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit