1975 Reaction

by MadApostate 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

You Know talks like a man with a paper asshole.

FT

• thewiz
    thewiz

Even back then I realized that if people were "intelligent" enough to do the math to calculate when Eve was created and then the 6th ended. Adam had plenty of work to do and at that time couldn't be bothered, blah, blah blah.

Then most certainly the angels (whose intelligence are infinitely higher than ours) who witnessed all these events could certainly easily calculate when the GT or Arm would hit. Yet the bible says, "Neither the angels in heaven or the son of man knows the day or the hour." (I feel that they may/must know now, most certainly Jesus does).

I have a question, if 1975, 1984, or Y2K didn't bring the end, then do any who post here really believe the/an end will come? At least the bible is clear that it will come, right?

I have to only assume that there were children at the time of Noah's flood. We know according to the Bible that Noah and his immediate family were the only survivors of the human race. Children must have died, there's no two ways about it. It was the parents responsiblity to act, they didn't. Their own children's blood were upon thier heads.

I remember the pictures in the Paradise Lost book of little children falling into cracks in the earth (It scared me "straight" no doubt that was the intent) but I would really rather have a friend who didn't sugar coat everything and distract me from what is inevitable. (Better the slaps of a friend than the consoling words of an enemy).

Perplexed and wondering

Also, I have a friend who was personal buds with Freddie-the-Franz (yaba-daba-don't). He told me about a personel discussion he had with him. Fred theorized that Satan Got Eve at her weakest moment, when she was having her period. He further stated that he figures all this happened, I believe, all within a period of a few weeks of her creation. I said, "if Eve was perfect, then how could she be weak or not be about here wits?" He looked at me in disbelief -True story.

Satan slyed his way in and basically said, "hey, babe take a walk on the wild side."

Funny how they can speculate but when we do it borders on apostacy

• joelbear
    joelbear

There is only one more time limitation left and that is that some of the remnant will still be alive when "the end" comes.

Of course with young people constantly proclaiming to be of "the annointed" that is a moving date as well.

• You Know
    You Know

To Utopian Reformist:

I am not currently finished with the IMF / RUSSIA ? NEADB thread, but I must admit, this particular item has captured my interest.

That's good. So, now what? / You Know

• JeffT
    JeffT

I was baptized in 1973. There was a continual buzz around the hall about the nearness of the end.

Here is one personal example I remember vividly. At the big international (five days if I remember right) convention held in the summer of 1975 there was a drama about the destruction of Jericho. Special emphasis was placed on the fact that the Israelites marched around the city silently for six days. Immediately following that was a talk announcing the release of a new pamphlet. It was one of those things where everyone there knew the talk was connected to the drama. So they announced that in September we would be taking these pamphlets around and blanketing as many houses as possible, and we’d do this on every three months. No call back records or anything else would be kept.

So that night a bunch of us are sitting around talking and “sister k” says she figured out that if we did this every three months the seventh time would be in the fall of 1975. We spent the rest of the night talking about how the fact that we weren’t going to be talking was just like the Israelites being silent, and Jericho was just like the old system etc. Funny thing was fifteen years later, as we were in the process of leaving I mentioned this to “sister k.” She says “oh, nobody ever said anything like that.

In the summer of 1974 the society released the “Eternal Purpose” book. It had a longer title that escaped me at the moment. One chapter was devoted to how starting 3,000 years after Adam’s creation the light should begin to get brighter as we were half way through God’s rest day. There followed a bunch of nonsense showing how this was working. Again the clear implication pointed to 1975.

As to stockpiling, I remember some people talking about it, but the general opinion was that we would have to totally rely on Jehovah.

Some people around my current church get all caught up in talking about signs of the end etc etc. My response is "it's not relevant to anything. What would you do differently if you thought the end was 10,000 years from now." It usually brings them up short.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

BTTT

I am threaded out, so i've bumped this thread up.

Does anyone have any info on the JW response after 1975? I am looking for specific quotes as to how they blamed individual rank and file members.

Paul

• Terry
    Terry

I'd compare the 1975 embroglio with faking an orgasm.

Hear me out.

Yes, that's what I said.

Sex and End Times have an awful lot in common.

It's all about passion, excitement, desire and fulfillment, really.

Sex is a wild trip that places you in a vortex ever increasing the pulse of life with you at its center.

End Times too.

Storms of disaster or deliverance are headed your way: head's up--your time is coming!

You are in white water on the rapids and out of control with a deafening roar of life and death all about you:

The wildest of all rides heading toward the falls and beyond toward some unimaginable oblivion.

Got the metaphor? Sure you do.

Let's go from there. Stage two.

THE BIG LETDOWN.

Sex can lead down two roads. So can End Times prophecy.

Something is the way you think its going to be or it's not. You build it up and build it up and it's a fantastic event that is almost, almost, almost the be-all and end-all......or....you get to the magic moment and there is no magic there at all!

It's a flop.

A fizzle.

A big big mistake.

You are stuck with a big nothing.

NOW WHAT DO YOU DO? Too late to cut and run.

Do you admit you are in the wrong place with the wrong intentions and no way to back out?

You have two choices:

MAKE IT or you FAKE IT.

You go through the motions and pretend. That's what you do. Don't let on what you are feeling is EMPTY, hollow and flat. You go with the flow and make the right moves and wait for it to pass.

You don't look back after it. You pretend the whole thing never was anything at all.

Don't mention it. Look the other way.

Oh, sure, in your heart you know. But, it is too ugly and you feel too foolish to dredge it up and confront it. Just cut it loose and move on.

The 6,000 year of Human Existence ended in 1975 with an empty faked orgasm and everybody went their way like it never happened.

Everybody woke up with something ugly and repugnant beside them in a cheap motel room.

Damn! How could I have done that?! Man, this whole thing never happened.

It was somebody else--not me!

That's why 1975 is a non event to the Watchtower Society. They'll never admit they faked it with a skank. No way.

It was all a nasty rumor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit