BIG NEWS Copyright Laws & how to order good copy!

by skeeter1 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The BIG NEWS is in the Journal of Church & State out of Baylor University's Autumn 2005's issue.

For a few bucks ($4 + $1 shipping), you can get a copy sent to any US address (work or home) right now (foreign addresses may cost a few dollars more). Go to http://www3.baylor.edu/Church_State/ordering_publications.htm . There is even a special line just for this article! Once it's been delivered in hard copy, law school or university libraries will probably have it on-sight for you to read for FREE. In time (I do not know how long...it may be a few months...and I found out from the legal database powerhouse LexisNexis it would be about 3 months) legal databases will have a copy of it as well.

Whether you agree or disagree with the article, it is important that it is read and discussed. It is the beginning of a discussion, and may prove to be the basis of a lawsuit. But, DO NOT POST THE ARTICLE IN ITS ENTIRETY OR IN LARGE PARTS ON ANY WEBSITE. This is AGAINST copyright laws, and would be a really stupid thing to do. You are probably allowed to quote a small section (few sentances), and, of course, write your opinion of the entire article. That's in your 1st amendment rights. But, to post it in its entirety or in large chunks is WRONG and ILLEGAL.

First of all, this Journal is RUN by LAWYERS. Second, the LAWYERS have LAW STUDENTS (free labor) to do the legal legwork and find YOU and SUE YOU for COPYRIGHT VIOLATIONS (That's both $$$ & jail time folks)!!!!! Third, regardless of whether you're a JW or an Ex-JW or an interested person, we need to all maturely on this matter & do the legal thing.

The Journal has probably done alot of work on getting this article (and other legal articles) ready for publication. So, $4 is not alot to cover their printer costs, legal review staff, etc. Plus, who knows maybe Kerry has more articles to write.... I'm sure staying tuned, and on pins & needles to get my LEGAL copy!

(I'll get off my soap box now).

Skeeter1

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

nice work ;-)

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

and also... based on Anderson's message:

Probably by tomorrow the research Internet site www.highbeam.com will have the article available. This site has a 7-day free membership period and we have been told that an electronic copy can be attained by accessing this site.

It's not there today. Maybe tomorrow?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I have no clue as to when highbeam will have this article. LexisNexis is the BIG legal database that lawyers, judges, etc. primarily use. LexisNexis told me over the phone that they would not have the article for a few months as they purchase it from a 3rd party vendor. So, I'd order directly from the Journal on this one.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Many have google alerts set. Is there any chance it will find its way to this anytime soon?

• VM44
    VM44

All of the University of California campus libraries have an online subscription to The Journal of Church & State.

If you can get to the campus library, you can get an electronic copy for free, and then put it on a flash memory drive, or even email the article to your email address.

It is a grey area if it would be proper to email it to other people though.

--VM44

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have ordered my copy YEAH!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I spoke with the Journal of Church & State lady today.

She said that I might be interested in ordering the whole issue, not just the one article. Apparently, there's another article on a flag salute/JW case and one article on parent's not giving their children medical treatment (Christian Scientists).

Sounds like good reading to me!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I will be purchasing my full copy tomorrow...(today ) after my bleary eyes open. G'night all!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Excellent, thank you for putting that link up!

I will be ordering my copy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit