Bible translation

by z 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• z
    z

I had long dissection with my MS (friend) about the Bible translation and told him how bad and not what the Bible say is the NWT of course he defended the NWT my questions are

What is the earliest known translation?

Who are the ones translate the Bible?

Which one is the must accurate?

Which one the NWT is based on?

Where can I fiend MS in the Bible?

z

• z
    z

Can someone HELP here? Where are Leo, Nark, Blondie ????????????

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hi z....I'm not clear on what your questions are asking for...

What is the earliest known translation?

Do you mean English translation, or any translation from the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek? The LXX is the earliest Greek translation we know about, tho there may have been contemporaneous or earlier Aramaic targums (cf. the targum of Job in the Dead Sea Scrolls).

Who are the ones translate the Bible?

Do you mean for the NWT specifically, or Bible translations in general?

Which one is the must accurate?

This is a subjective question....as it depends on what you consider accuracy (whether expressing the thought or the actual literal words is considered most accurate), and each translation has its own biases and how these are evaluated depend on which biases you consider important. The NWT has some egregious biases (such as inserting "Jehovah" in the NT, which is a departure from actual translation), and I have found that it is so literal (almost as if interlinear glosses have been lightly smoothed over, and there are various overtranslations which are then interpreted by the Society, such as "believe" expanded into "exercise faith" which then is interpreted as realizing faith in works) that the thought and the line of argument is often lost in the unnecessary verbiage.

Which one the NWT is based on? Where can I fiend MS in the Bible?

Do you mean what critical text is the NWT based on (it is not based on a translation)? It is based on the Westcott-Hort critical text, tho there are others (Tischendorff, Nestle-Aland). You can compare the Westcott-Hort with Tischendorff and the received text for any passage at: http://unbound.biola.edu/.

• z
    z

Leo I know I can count on you thx

I know the Hebrew one Hebrew is my languish don’t need any explanation lol

Like to know English or any western one

• z
    z

I know the Hebrew one Hebrew is my languish don’t need any explanation lol

Like to know English or any western one

• z
    z
  • z
    z

Do you mean for the NWT specifically, or Bible translations in general?

In general not the NWT (no one know lol)

He said to me that the NWT is based on the Westcott-hort

When the Westcott-hort was done? Or any other main stream one?

Who is or are the one in westcott-hort?

Must accurate as literal words not thought (the can think what aver the like)

Is there MS in the Bible? What is MS in biblical sense?

Now the big one what do you think about the NWT?

Or any other scholar his her thought

I told him I hope I’ll be answered by Leolaia or nark lol

By the way I have seen the Dead Sea Scrolls some I could read some not the old

Hebrew one was not to bad not easy but I did lol the one I was must impress by

was the Book Of Isaiah this Scroll is almost the entire book word for word

Z

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Do you mean what critical text is the NWT based on (it is not based on a translation)? It is based on the Westcott-Hort critical text, tho there are others (Tischendorff, Nestle-Aland). You can compare the Westcott-Hort with Tischendorff and the received text for any passage at: http://unbound.biola.edu/.

Just for clarification: this concerns the NT; Westcott & Hort provide a critical Greek edition (halfway between Tischendorff's and Nestle-Aland's) based on the comparison of extant Greek manuscripts and ancient versions or witnesses. The NWT generally follows W&H but not always (we have discussed the case of John 14:14 recently where it doesn't).

As for the OT, the NWT (and most modern English translations) follows the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS), heir to Kittel's (BHK), which is not a critical text in the modern sense of the term, but the edition of one early 11th-century Masoretic ms (the Leningrad Codex).

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

z I'm not sure what you mean by "MS".

• z
    z

Minstrel servant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit