by VM44 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

http://www.geocities.com/paulblizard/deed.html

Rutherford with his Cadillac and one today
    In the 19could only be afforded by the ultra-rich30's a car like this

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Oh yes - the typical Field Service vehicle. What a shining example.

• VM44
    VM44

Rutherford was treated like Royalty!

Literally! With the Cadillacs, the homes (Beth Sarim, Staten Island, etc), the preferential treatment.

How did it happen?

--VM44

• stev
    stev

The book "Apostles of Denial" by Edmond Gruss has 3 letters of Moyle in Appendix B, including the one posted above. Remarkably, Moyle wrote of Rutherford, "I am in a good position to make such protest because your treatment of me has been generally kind, considerate and fair." I wonder at this - why would Rutherford treat Moyle fairly and not others? Moyle was a lawyer, like Rutherford himself, and perhaps Rutherford respected him more or had more in common with him, just a guess. However, afterward, Moyle was disfellowshipped and wrote that Rutherford had spread falsehoods about him, and had not treated him well at all.

VM44 asks "How did it happen?" This is a good question. Russell had already set a precedent for one-man rule of the Society, and received some preferential treatment. However, there remained a tension between one-man rule of the Society and the democratically-run congregations, and the authority of "that servant" and the equality of the brethren. Russell in his Will and Testament desired that the one-man rule come to an end, and planned for the Board and Editorial Committee to come to the fore, but failed to prepare them for their expanded role. After Russell died, there was a struggle between the Pres. Rutherford and Board. Rutherford was following Russell's example, but the Board wished to follow Russell's Will. In hindsight, it is more clear now that control by a Board and Editorial Committee could have restricted spiritual abuse, caused by an authoritarian leader with no accountability. The pattern of Rutherford's management style was consistent from the beginning, and Moyle's letter is line with other accounts of Rutherford. Many times the only proper response to a spiritually abusive leader is to leave, which many did. It seems that the most departures occurred during the later 1920's, probably in response to the 1925 disappointment, but also to Rutherford's attempts to bring the congregations under the Society's control. Several years ago, an elderly gentleman related the story to me that he had in 1914 in Germany started with a few others a Bible Student class, which grew to 75. Rutherford came to visit Germany in the mid-1920's. After hearing him speak, they did not like what they heard, and the entire class ended their association with the Society.

Steve

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

So I guess Rutherford was like a celebrity.

Bangalore

• Londo111
    Londo111

An interesting read.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

After watching the Scientlogy series with Leah, the David Mscavage personality comes to mind.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I was thinking the same thing.

There does not seem to be any indication that the Judge physically assaulted anyone, but he did seem to be emotionally abuse and just as angry. And used the organization's resources for his own personal gain.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

That's one thing I think I'll always be scratching my head over...

...how followers can still follow their leader even when their leader personally treats them like hammered shit.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

There's an interesting story as well with Walter Salter

(might be here already but missed it)

Branch Manager in Canada wrote an open scathing letter in 1937

echoing Moyle's charges against Rutherford

Got himself drummed out

There was unswerving loyalty to this man

I view him, in most ways, as the real founder of Jehovah's Witnesses

(he even coined the name)

:0)

Share this