Spawned in the U.S.A.- Cults

by bigmouth 4 Replies latest jw friends

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Sometime back in one of the WTS mags the question was posed as to why God would choose an American (Russel) to head his earthly church rather than say someone in Africa or Asia.I think the writer was from a middle eastern country.The society replied that if Jehovah chose to use an American that was his prerogative.So there!

But it does seem to me that the U.S.A. does have more than its fair share of cults and religious nuts.
    Is my impression right? Do Americans have a greater fascination with offbeat religious ideas than do other cultures?

• serendipity
    serendipity

Could be. Could also be related to the whole freedom of religion ideal too, in addition to Americans being spiritual/religious overall.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I cant really say, but as there is about 30,000 Christian sects, and 10,000 religions in Africa alone, i'd tend to think whacky sects and cults are everywhere.

It does seem that Americans are rich enough to get recognition quicker. The well known cults are usually from the USA, morons, JWs, 7dayers, etc etc. Americans have perfected marketing and the global economy better than others.

I spent time pioneering on Thursday Island, where there were only 3,000 people. A lady had her own religion going called something like "the church of the seven candles of Christ". She had seven followers. There is no way she will be the next WTS purely due to a lack of visibility and funds.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I'm not sure how they justified it but of course since they are NOT inspired by god it matters little if there was any reason why they were american in the first place. I would tend to think the fact that we have been JWs makes us think of it from the american perspective and if in fact JWs were asian we would have the reverse feelings.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Yeah, especially in light of

"And I will set my throne in Elam (Persia)...saith the Lord." Jerimiah 49:38

(William Sears, Thief in the Night, p. 73)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit