Objectivism: Any study this philosophy?

by Eyebrow2 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Hey there...I never got a chance to study or read about Objectivism in college, or read any of Ayn Rand's books while in high school or college.

I finally started too, and was curious if there are others out there that have? I joined a study group that meets once or twice a month to go over, basically an overview of the philosophy. I guess I really have missed bookstudy hahaha...

Anyone else? Thoughts, opinions?

• under74
    under74

I studied it in undergrad and wrote part of my thesis for grad school about it...I'm not a big fan. There are holes in every philosophy but huge ones in Rand's philosophy...she also didn't follow her own rules so I find it hard to take her seriously.

But that's just my own opinion.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

That is one thing I noticed...Rand did seem a bit hypocritical herself. I don't think she and I would have tea together hahah.

Like I said...I am still very new to it, but it is interesting. You are right, no philosophy is perfect.

• under74
    under74

It is interesting as well as Rand's life story. Objectivism and Existentialism are fascinating to me--not just that they are new philosophies but how they came about.

• defd
    defd

under you have a pm.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

besides one of the intro to Objectivism books, I just started reading Anthem...

• under74
    under74

If you like Anthem you might want to read We by Zamyatin. It was written years before Anthem. Even if Rand never admitted it there's no doubt We was an influence for Anthem. It was written before Rand ever left Russia and influenced Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's The Brave New World.

• garybuss
    garybuss

There are the parents who suffer deeply and genuinely, because their son (or daughter) does not love them, and who, simultaneously, ignore, oppose or attempt to destroy everything they know of their son's convictions, values and goals, never thinking of the connection between those two facts, never making an attempt to understand their son. The world they never made and dare not challenge, has told them that children love parents automatically.

Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness © 1961

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Under74...thank you for the suggestion. I will check it out. Gary: that is another book I have on my hope to read in 2006 list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit