Organized religion- Good or bad?

by Vitameatavegamin 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

Hello again friends,

I have recently been pondering some over some thoughts on organized religion. The JWs always refer to other religions as part of Babylon the Great, in which we should flee from. Well, as time goes on, I observe things seeming to crumble in all org. religion,including JWs. How do we know that the scripture refering to babylon the great may not also include JWs, maybe God has no use for ANY organized religion. Maybe he just expects us to follow a few simple commandments from the bible, be a good christian and " do unto others", as it is put.

My observation is that people in Org. religion tend to be judgemental and are sure that they are saved. And I think with JWs, if they spent more time concentrating on how to be a good Christian and not spending so much time on how many meetings attended, hours of field service put in, whether or not you should have a vasectomy, etc., maybe people in the JWs would not be so prone to all this judging and deciding who is and who is'nt. I think JWs are really stressed out in alot of ways. Yes, we should honor God the best way we can. But I don't believe that our creator is anywhere near as judgemental as we humans can be, as we think about the scripture that talks about "straining the gnat". Just something to think about. Would like to hear your comments on the matter. Thanks!

• somebody
    somebody

hi Vitameatavegamin, ( I could use some of that right now.

I agree that organized religion is bad, not good. Organized religion is more like dictated faith. And when that is the case, members aren't allowed to feel or have faith. And in return, they don't know what faith even is. That is how I felt as a JW anyway. I did not know what faith was. I only knew what obeying the top organizers was.

And I think with JWs, if they spent more time concentrating on how to be a good Christian and not spending so much time on how many meetings attended, hours of field service put in, whether or not you should have a vasectomy, etc., maybe people in the JWs would not be so prone to all this judging and deciding who is and who is'nt.

I agree. But I also know that the truth is that the "meetings attended, hours of field service put in, whether or not you should have a vasectomy, etc." is exactly what the society has taught it's members to measure each others level of spirituality by. Those who don't make the time in service or to meetings are judged as "spiritaully weak". Those who make good service hours and attend all meetings are considered "spiritually strong". We also have the ratings of "mature Christian" and "imature Christian". Then there are the "marked" ones. The list of ratings go on and on.

That's organized religion for ya!

Interestingly, this is the definition of Jehovah's Witness, from the Merriam -Webster Dictionary:

Jehovah's Witness (noun)

First appeared 1932

: a member of a group that witness by distributing literature and by personal evangelism to beliefs in the theocratic rule of God, the sinfulness of organized religions and governments, and an imminent millennium.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

peace,
    somebody

• dreamer
    dreamer

Vita (for short!),

Good post. I have thought about this myself, and I can see how there are many parallels between the supposed 'whore' and the organisation. I think that given a few more hundred years, they may become just like the Catholic Church that they, oh, so despise.

Judgmentalism is a very complex and frustrating problem found in all aspects of organsisation (not just religion). I think that you are right, a 'good' christian should endevour to set an example by being as non-judgmental as possible.

Dream on

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hmm ... working my way through 'Crisis of Conscience' - this very day i am on page 310 and in the middle of the 1980 purging of innocent and honest brothers and sisters at Brooklyn ...

without doubt the WT is a man-made, man-controlled organisation that is devoid of Jehovah's blessing - i feel outraged about the way people have been so heartlessly treated and I so wish I had seen this book before commiting so much of my life to this unloving and calculating group of men who base their control over the worldwide brotherhood on petty internal politics and traditions ...

sorry - rant over - I believe the WatchTower undoubtedly to be part of Babylon the Great ... um ... assuming I have Jehovah's intended understanding of what the harlot is ...

• crossroads
    crossroads

Organized Religion is good for the Head organizer,
    BTW I'm thinking of starting my own Religion. I really
    do need the money so if you would like to donate your
    money please let me know. I will assure you a place
    in paradise guarantied or your money back. You
    can keep all your time to yourself no meetings no
    peddeling mags, I'll do all the work for you just
    SEND MONEY. The Religion will be "Talking in Songs".
    I will write the bible with the pertenet songs from
    Lennon and Dylan and I only I will know the true
    meaning of the songs. It will cost $39.95 but if you
    send your money in the next 24 hours I will include
    the writings of McCartney at no extra charge.

Just "Imagine" you'll have "God on you Side" so you
    can just enjoy your life and "Let it Be". Leave your
    spirituality to me and did I tell you SEND MONEY.

Peace and love from JonMarkXII

• Stacey
    Stacey

Organized religion is not for me. I dont think that it's neccesarily a bad thing for everyone. Some people need religion to help set themselves straight. Some people need answers, and cannot live without them. I for one have learned to be ok with the questions that life hands us. All that organized religions really are, is a group of men trying to understand their place in life, and creating a set belief system to guide that.

I chose not to be a part of a set belief system. My views are ever changing with new ideas and new evidence that is set before me. What is wrong with not believing in revealed religion or revealed "holy" books? Why would it be so wrong to say that we are not placed on this earth with one way of doing things? I enjoy using my brain, coming to my own conclusions, and being free to challenge and change those conclusions if new ideas come my way. I love to think freely and make my own choices. I will never let a religion take that away from me again.

Thankful to be a free human being,
    Stacey

• Liquidizer
    Liquidizer

To my mind, an organised religion is a snare and racket if i may use JW phraseology of the '20s. God can use whomever individual regardless of their religious group or backgrounds. Its not important in which religion we belong, if belong at all, but what kind of human beings we are.

L.

This is the noise that keeps me awake
    My head explodes
    And my body aches

-Garbage

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

"Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot
    approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any
    sect." ~~Krishnamurti
    I beleive we, as a species are evolving past our need for organized religion. I began to realize this upon my exit from the cult. I got to meet people of all kinds, and different thoughts, etc. I found that the ones I gravitated to most to were new agers and athiests. Athiests, most especially because they are good for the simple sake of being good-a sense of citizenship, and not out of fear of some angry, judgemental god. Whereas on the other hand, my fundamentalist friend seems to really NEED the laws written out in her little black book and to have those pounded into her head every Sunday. I've wondered if she'd be the least bit moral without them (she's barely containable when we go out but always feels sooooo guilty for it the next day). Hmmmmm.
    I myself am nothing religiously. Then again I am everything. I am as comfortable at the Catholic Chapel in the hospital where I work as I am at a Wiccan Sabbat. I think I could even sit through a boring old meeting again (purely for the anthropoligical study it would provide) :)
    Bridgette

The world is my country and to do good, my religion.--Thomas Paine

• JUSTAMOM
    JUSTAMOM

Hello...

and was mentioned. Early in the WT even Rutherford said, "Religion is a racket and a snare."

Yes, it is!
    Sheep like to be led. Either we can be led by MAN through organized religion, or we can be led by "the fine shephard" our ONE leader and mediator. Please note JOHN 10 & Matthew 23:10
    Note in John, Jesus said "MY SHEEP know MY VOICE" and COME OUT"

Yes, the adversary is deceitful enough that the scriptures tell us he is even capable of 'misleading the chosen ones.'
    How so? By transforming himself into an angel of light.

Now who is "THE TRUE LIGHT?" John 8:12
    Now Saten in order to mislead has to LOOK as much like the true light as possible in order to mislead sheep that are searching for light.

So, he sets up organized religion. A form of godly devotion that looks and feels like the real thing, but its not.
    Therefore, instead of allowing ourself to be "yoked to the Christ", we are yoked under mans laws and domination.
    Please note PSALMS 146:3,4 & GALATIANS 4:1-7 & 5:1.

"THEY", man, sets the limits as to how to worship. What is acceptable and what isn't. They interpret the scriptures to say this, others agree.......and they have a following.

The law now is NOT on stone tablets, as our lord fulfilled what was written. It is a law that exsists on a persons heart. It is the fine shephard we follow as our one leader and it is through holy spirit that we are taught and guided. 1 JOHN 2:26-29

That is why we are to keep in mind what is at ACTS 17:24&25. That "Jah does not dwell in handmade temples."
    It is in "US" if that spirit truly dwells in us. We, then, become the temple and place he inhabits. That is why the pillar of fire on top of the disciples heads at Pentecost went INSIDE THEM. They became "the temple". Many members with 'ONE head'. 1CORINTHIANS 3:16

One must "not forsake the gathering together" as HEBREWS 10:24,25 says. Fellowship, association with the body as well as ANY believers is important. But "worship" is inside our temple. That is how one "walks by faith not by sight" and "worships in spirit and truth."

Hope this helps
    JUST A MOM (KiM)

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

Just a Mom,

You're reply is fascinating! Very good obseravation, I think you are right. I feel that we do have a creator, and we should honor Him the best way we can. As a JW, I have observed to much emphasis on all the societys guidelines or rules, even when you listen to fellow Witnesses speak, you always hear "well, the SOCIETY says", they quote the society more than they do the actual Bible. These are all things I am wondering about for the first time in 20 years as a JW.

And the scripture you mentioned regarding the " gathering of ourselves together", is a good point. I never thought of it that way. The JWs always use that scrip. as the commandment to attend meetings. Gathering of ourselves could mean just association with fellow Christians, not the JW meaning of attending meetings. Very enlightening thoughts. Thanks and I look forward to more!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit