ANNOINTED

by MidwichCuckoo 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Ok - this is important to me - I was visited late Spring by a member of the 'Annnointed'. He said he would call back. He hasn't. The things he said were quite bizarre. HAS THE WTBTS got a list of the ''ANNOINTED''?

Anyone wants to PM me is welcome:)

• blondie
    blondie

When taking the count at the Memorial, only a numerical report is sent to the WTS. But at the congregation level, each publisher card lists whether you are of the "anointed" or "other sheep."

Since the WTS does not view all those who partake as being "genuine anointed," if they did keep a list, they would really need 2 lists.

Blondie

• daystar
    daystar

It never did occur to me that the WTS would not consider everyone claiming to be anointed as being truly anointed.

It was simply unthinkable to me that someone who made such a claim could possibly be false, such was my naive and limited view of the world. Yet the WTS accept such a possibility. If so, then they should also accept the possibility that whom they do consider anointed, may not in fact be so.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, the elders do not count someone who starts partaking right away. The body discusses whether they are partaking with knowledge. A DF'd or DA'd or unbaptized person is not counted.

w00 1/15 p. 13 "Keep on the Watch" ***

Sixth,

the number of genuine anointed disciples of Christ is dwindling, though some will evidently still be on earth when the great tribulation begins

w04 3/15 p. 6 The Lord’s Evening Meal—How Observed? ***

Suppose a person is not absolutely sure that he is in the new covenant and the Kingdom covenant. What if he also lacks the witness of God’s spirit that he is a joint heir with Christ? Then it would be wrong for him to partake of the Memorial emblems. Indeed, God would be displeased if a person knowingly represented himself as one called to be a heavenly king and priest when he did not really have such a calling

w03 2/15 pp. 20-21 What Does the Lord’s Evening Meal Mean to You? ***

Why

Mistaken Assumptions

Anointed Christians are absolutely sure that they have the heavenly calling. But what if some individuals who lack this call have been partaking of the Memorial emblems? Now aware that they never had the heavenly hope, surely their conscience will compel them to stop partaking. God would not look with favor upon anyone representing himself as a person called to be a heavenly king and priest when he knew that he really did not have such a calling. (Romans 9:16; Revelation 20:6) Jehovah executed the Levite Korah for presumptuously seeking the Aaronic priesthood. (Exodus 28:1; Numbers 16:4-11, 31-35) If any Christian comes to realize that he has wrongly partaken of the Memorial emblems, he or she should stop partaking and humbly pray for Jehovah’s forgiveness.—Psalm 19:13.

Why might some mistakenly assume that they have the heavenly calling? The death of a mate or some other tragedy might cause them to lose interest in life on earth. Or they might desire the same destiny as a close friend who professes to be an anointed Christian. Of course, God has not assigned anyone to recruit others for this privilege. And he does not anoint Kingdom heirs by causing them to hear voices with messages to that effect.

The false religious idea that all good people go to heaven might lead some to think that they have the heavenly calling. Hence, we need to guard against being swayed by past wrong views or other factors. For instance, some might ask themselves: ‘Do I use medications that affect my emotions? Am I inclined to have deep emotions that I could misjudge?’

A few might ask themselves: ‘Do I want to be prominent? Am I ambitious for authority now or as a future joint heir with Christ?’ When Kingdom heirs were called in the first century, not all of them had responsible positions in the congregation. And individuals with the heavenly calling do not seek prominence or boast about being anointed. They display the humility expected of those having "the mind of Christ."—1 Corinthians 2:16.

Some may have concluded that they have the heavenly calling because they have acquired considerable Bible knowledge. But spirit anointing does not bring extraordinary understanding, for Paul had to instruct and counsel certain anointed ones. (1 Corinthians 3:1-3; Hebrews 5:11-14) God has an arrangement for providing spiritual food for all his people. (Matthew 24:45-47) So nobody should think that being an anointed Christian gives him wisdom superior to that of those having the earthly hope. Spirit anointing is not indicated by proficiency in answering Scriptural questions, witnessing, or giving Bible talks. Christians with the earthly hope also do well in these respects.

If a fellow believer asks about the heavenly calling, an elder or other mature Christian can discuss the matter with him. However, one person cannot make this decision for another. A person who truly has this calling does not need to ask others if he has such a hope. Anointed ones "have been given a new birth, not by corruptible, but by incorruptible reproductive seed, through the word of the living and enduring God." (1 Peter 1:23) By his spirit and Word, God implants the "seed" that makes the individual "a new creation," with a heavenly hope. (2 Corinthians 5:17) And Jehovah makes the choice. Anointing "depends, not upon the one wishing nor upon the one running, but upon God." (Romans 9:16) So how can a person be sure that he has the heavenly calling?
  • FairMind
    FairMind

Many who partake that the WTS would not consider truly anointed are not knowingly being fakes. I recall when I was baptized in the 1970s a number of new JWs who partook. These were for the most part men in their middle to late twenties. Almost all of these men (some whom I had known in HS) had abused drugs regularly prior to becoming JWs.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Thanks for your responses - I asked after him recently, and was told he was too busy to do return calls...hmmmmm - I think I scared him away.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I was told that the Annointed today possess certain 'powers/qualities' - some have the power of HEALING, some of PROPHESY and some of INTERPRETATION.....can anyone else verify this?

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

It's true!

It's just that they don't worship at the Kingdom Hall.

(Sorry!)

• Forscher
    Forscher

The official position of the WTBTS is that the heavenly calling was closed in 1935. To this day, they question the annointing of anyone since then, with the exeption of GB members of course. Certain people who partake, i.e. visitors, newly baptised, etc... are not counted. As mentioned earlier, the publisher's cards note whether one claims to be annointed or not. Anytime one is recommended for priviledges to the WTBTS, I think the recommendation must also note the same. So Elders, Ministerial servants, Regular Pioneers, etc. who claim to be among the annointed are probably listed somewhere at headquarters.

Forscher

• blondie
    blondie
    some have the power of HEALING, some of PROPHESY and some of INTERPRETATION.....can anyone else verify this?

I can see some individual JW anointed saying this privately but officially the WTS says that the powers of the holy spirit that the 1st century congregation had died out when the last apostle died. They also say that not every Christian then had all the powers of the holy spirit and that some may not have had any. There is some info but I can't research now.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit