Letter to Irish newspaper

by IT Support 13 Replies latest watchtower medical

• IT Support
    IT Support

Last week there were reports of the sad death of a young Irish JW, Sarah O'Leary.

I haven't noticed if anyone else wrote to the Irish newspapers, but this is the letter I wrote:

Gorey Echo, Friday 2 Dec: "Father tells of sorrow on losing Sarah" http://www.unison.ie/gorey_echo/stories.php3?ca=38&si=1519384&issue_id=13366 This was a tragic story of the death of a young girl from her injuries in a car accident, complicated by her Jehovah's Witness parent's refusal to consent to a blood transfusion. However, the situation whereby courts make Jehovah's Witness children wards of the State allows their parents to abdicate their responsibility for the consequences of their foolish and misguided beliefs. W hat I thought most telling was when Sarah O'Leary's father said : "It is always a difficult decision to make for any Witness family but, for us, it wasn’t a great test of our faith because we knew that the doctors would have to do this." No doubt the father is sincere when he says it was a "difficult decision," but the harsh reality is there was no decision about it, because as soon as the parents refused to consent to a blood transfusion, they knew the S tate would step in and grant it . And while I've no doubt he meant it when he said it was a "difficult decision," I'll wager he and his wife were extremely grateful to know that the S tate would step in to help their child. How can it be a "difficult decision" when you know for a fact that the State will shield your child from the possibly fatal consequences of your foolishness ? So though the father was no doubt sincere when he said that it was a "difficult dec i sion," he betrayed how he really felt about it when he went on to admit , "it wasn't a great test of our faith." But how much has the State, by requiring the courts to intervene in such decisions and thereby letting Jehovah's Witness parents 'off the hook , ' permitted the Watchtower Society (the Jehovah's Witness headquarters organisation) to perpetuate their 'blood policy' without consequence? While in this instance Sarah sadly died despite receiving a blood transfusion, on other occasions similarly-aged children in similar circumstances have successfully persuaded a court that they fully support their religion's tenets and have therefore been allowed to refuse potentially life-saving treatments. Courts do not usually intervene where adult Jehovah's Witnesses are involved, and newspapers around the world report their deaths with depressing regularity. Individual Jehovah's Witnesses do not independently reach the conclusion that blood transfusions are unscriptural, but do so as a result of being repeatedly told, in the literature of the Watchtower Society, that blood transfusions clearly contravene God's laws in the Bible and the hazards of damaged immunity, infection and disease make them just not worth the risk, anyway. The question therefore arises: a s the corporate ' controlling mind ' behind the teachings that result in thousands of ritual suicides, how much responsibility ought the Watchtower Society bear for the consequent costs of their beliefs, towards society in general and the grieving families in particular? For example, the Watchtower Society urges its followers to request 'non-blood medical management,' which includes injections of erythropoietin, a hugely expensive hormone which, over time, stimulates the body's own production of red blood cells and thus, they reason, reduces the necessity of blood transfusion. Is it reasonable for our health care system to bear this expense? Families lose fathers, mothers and children and the financial impact on the family can be catastrophic. Is it reasonable for our social security system to bear this expense? In addition, families who lose fathers, mothers and children are left to deal with chronic emotional trauma, and the financial impact can be equally devastating. Is it again reasonable for our social security system to also bear this expense? Perhaps a law that required such a 'controlling mind' to reimburse our health care system and to provide proper financial compensation for families, might cause those leading such organisations to rethink their irresponsible policies. I fully sympathise with the O'Learys over the tragic loss of their daughter. What they have been through must be a parent's worst nightmare. But I can have no sympathy whatsoever with a religious organisation that deliberately encourages their followers to refuse potentially life-saving medical treatment. Regards,

The addresses I sent it to are:

• sf
    sf

On point. Great letter.

sKally

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I know the O'Learys. They're from the congregation I grew up in, and I know that they adored Sarah, and are devastated by her death. They are good people and don't deserve this tragedy. Sarah's injuries were so great that even with the best medical treatment available, she still died. Fortunately, the parents' refusal to authorise a blood transfusion had no adverse consequences in this case. However, two things Sarah's father Ray said in this article jumped out at me:

“In any such case in this country,” said Ray, “where parents refuse to allow a blood transfusion to take place, they (the hospital), because they have their own ethical standards, take this course of action.

“We understand that and we understand that their primary duty is to look after the child’s life.
    “Blood isn’t just blood for us,” Ray says. “It’s sacred. For us, the primary issue is the biblical issue.

It is a damning indictment of this religion that the child's life is not the primary issue for the parents, and that even the most devoted JW parents are willing to sacrifice their children in order to follow its rules.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

This is an excellent letter. Writing a letter such as this one had to be time-consuming for the author, but the results will be worth it. The Letters to the Editor section of every newspaper is an area that has been underutilized by the XJW community. However, those who have sent in well thought out letters informing and warning the public about Jehovah's Witnesses' perilous (no-blood policy) and grievous religious practices (disfellowshipping/shunning and protect the pedophile sexual child assault policies), have been more than pleased with the aftermath. For instance, after Joel Jahn's disfellowshipping, he wrote an excellent letter to the editor of his town's local newspaper in Davenport, WA discussing the events surrounding his disfellowshipping. After the letter was published, Joel and his wife, Linda, received tremendous community support. (Interestingly, Joel hand delivered his letter to the editor and was able to talk to him about the situation which probably helped to get the letter published.)

After the letter was published, Joel contacted a newspaper in a nearby community and handed the article to the editor who then also printed Joel's letter. With such successful results, Joel contacted the largest newspaper in Spokane, Washington who sent a reporter to interview the Jahns. Within weeks, a large article with a picture of the Jahns appeared on the front page of the Spokane Review newspaper. This sparked a two-hour interview with Linda Jahn and myself on the "Mark Fuhrman" radio call-in show on 50,000 watt KGA, Spokane, WA three weeks ago. The response to the newspaper articles and the radio show was fantastic with hundreds of calls to the Jahns in support of their stand. And just think, all of this because of one carefully drafted letter to the editor of a local paper!

For those who have never utilized this excellent medium to inform your neighbors about the wacky beliefs and the heartache that joining the Watchtower religion will bring to them and to their families, please try what Joel Jahn did--go see the editor of your newspaper and personally hand him your letter and see what happens. If your letter is published, which most likely it will be, you will have performed a community service.

Barbara

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Tremendous Letter - I really liked the point that the State should send the Bill for Medical care to the WTS - MONEY - that might make them rethink!

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    It is a damning indictment of this religion that the child's life is not the primary issue for the parents, and that even the most devoted JW parents are willing to sacrifice their children in order to follow its rules.

Is it fear of sounding extreme that keeps us from calling this what it really is, child sacrifice? As a witness, I was not above referring to the deaths of young men and women in the military as child sacrifice for the sake of politics.

In that light, what is the practice that allows the death of a child due to a doctrine NO witness fully understands? Most statistics support the fact that the majority of witness children leave the religion; on that basis the practice of parents' refusing blood for their minor children is unconscionable.

Another salient point: if the Watchtower changed it's policy tomorrow, the majority would happily abandon it. This puts the lie to the idea that each individual witness makes this choice based on personal belief and choice.

• IT Support
    IT Support

funkyderek,

Spot on. You hit the nail on the head.

Any parent who could allow their child to die doesn't deserve to be a parent. Their humanity--never mind their love for their child--ought to override the religions diktats, irrespective of the personal cost to them in terms of disfellowshipping, etc.

Barbara,

I totally agree that, as a community, we should make far greater use of the Letters to the Editor sections of our newspapers.

stillajwexelder,

MONEY - that might make them rethink!

We're on the same wavelength, then!

Pistoff,

Is it fear of sounding extreme that keeps us from calling this what it really is, child sacrifice?

Possibly.

Most statistics support the fact that the majority of witness children leave the religion; on that basis the practice of parents' refusing blood for their minor children is unconscionable.

I didn't realise there were any such statistics. Are they reliable? Is there a web page for them?

From my personal experience and gut instinct, I would agree with you that the majority of JW kids do leave, I was just surprised to learn someone had been able to compile accurate statistics.

Another salient point: if the Watchtower changed it's policy tomorrow, the majority would happily abandon it. This puts the lie to the idea that each individual witness makes this choice based on personal belief and choice.

Absolutely right. Unless, of course, they all get 'new light.'

Simultaneously.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

#1) I remember talking with a hospital liasion about whether the Society would reimburse a sick follower who needed blood fractions and was willing to accept them. He said that the Society did not "give" or have any loan program where the follower could get help. He did say that sometimes when followers were in need, the local congregation pitches in to help - but had no recollection of ever helping out someone who needed a costly blood fraction. Instead, his job was to talk with the insurance companies and hospital and convince them that it was, in fact, a cheaper alternative.

Does the money ever go from the Society to the local congregations? Not in my limited experience. The cost of building a Kingdom Hall is lent, not given, and the congregation I knew made it a priority to pay back the loans ASAP. Plus, the congregation paid for the land. The followers "donate" (aka pay) for the literature. The followers pay for everything!. What financial help do they or the community receive in return? Nothing. Doesn't this violate charitable exempt status under US tax laws? The Society "banks" the money. How much do they have in investments anyway?

The least the Society could do is to start a program to lend/give $$$ to followers who need blood fractions.

#2) There is a very famous US Supreme Court Case here in the US - it's called Prince v. Massachusetts. It's famous quote goes something like "Parents do not have the right to make martyrs of their children." This case deals with a guardian who wanted a child to sell Society magazines on a street corner in violation of Massachusett's child labor laws. It has been quoted time & time again by US courts when deciding to give blood to minors and advanced minors (i.e. 16 & 17 year olds who are articulate). It is my understanding that every State except Illinios, West Virginia, and Tennessee, will make an advanced minor a ward of the court and mandate blood transfusions Every State will do so for a younger child. Why? The State has a very important interest in making sure this child reaches maturity. Parents do not have the right to kill their children because their beliefs differ from the childs.

• IT Support
    IT Support

skeeter1,

Does the money ever go from the Society to the local congregations?

You mean, in the sense that pigs might fly?

How much do they have in investments anyway?

This page is a starting point:

There are loads more here on JWD...

By the way, welcome to JWD!!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I just had to give you the exact quotes from the US Supreme Court....

Prince v. Massachusetts (1944)

"The right to practice religion freely does not include liberty to expose the community or the child to communicable disease or the latter to ill health or death."

"Parents may be free to become martyrs themselves. But it does not follow that they are free, in identical circumstances, to make martyrs of their children before they have reached the age of full and legal discretion when they can make that choice for themselves."

And so, you see, JW children are taken away from their parents when they need blood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit