Is this not clearly anti-Christianity?

by Nathan Natas 20 Replies latest social current

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hey Little Toe,

To borrow the words of Henry Patrick, "I may not agree with your black knife, but I will defend to the death the right of every Irishman to wear one."

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nathan:
    Aye, I think the Irish should be allowed to wear them, too

Bev: Truly spoken like someone from the legal profession - LOL

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

In that case JWs should be prohibited from bringing and distributing their cult literature at school.

W

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Ross

Even a ging-er in a skirt could hurt someone with a Sgian Dubh!

(runs and hides)

(voice from behind rock)

... but a cerimonial seikh knife is like a bad paper knife, if memory serves fit, at least as far as sharpness goes.

The ruling is stupid though. As stupid as the girl ('A' student and well behaved) who was excluded for having a nose piercing... oh I did have fun calling up the headmaster of that school...

It's stupid on several different levels; apparently the head is qualified to judge what is and what is not required for each faith. Wow, clever... I suppose because Gator-Aide with Cyanide is required for Jonesites, they ALL have to have one in their lunch box.... and of course there could be no difference between different flavours of Christianity...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gyles:
    But your opinion doesn't count because you recently started to wear orange

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Im not sure what I think, but I do know that there is no way that girl was wearing the crucifix as a christian symbol. She was wearing it as a piece of bling, and most schools have a policy of no jewellry and no makeup. Its just to maintain standards (I do believe schools should be allowed to maintain standards in the same way that companies and corporations may stipulate a dress code, and are highly likely to NOT employ someone with facial piercings).

Schools maintain these standards to (1) try to keep a sense of pride and decency (2) to get students used to the standards that may well be expected of them in the real world.

Its not really a hardship is it? Not to wear a piece of jewellry for 5 hours in a day? I manange not to wear my favourite leather trousers and low cut tops when I am teaching. I am sure all the parents of my students appreciate this self control on my part. I dont think it hurts a student to manage NOT to insist on his or her own way 100% of the time.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I'm getting in touch with my outer Dutchness...

I've just read The Strange Case of the Dog in the Moonlight, a murder mystery writen from the POV of an autistic teenager... he has a thing about colours too. Mark you, I never used to eat anything purple, so who am I to speak?

Hope it is not too cold up there...

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

seems to me this is about personal belief not orginized religion, the girl clearly felt that her cross was a magical object in her own belief system and the school demeaned her personal belief based on their concept of a group belief. heaven forbid people being allowed to worship as they individually desired.

• LDH
    LDH
    If they just taught these kids that their gods are imaginary and the amulets they prize so highly are just trinkets and baubles, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Spot on.

• CruithneLaLuna
    CruithneLaLuna

I understand the school's point of view but this appears to me to be yet another example of how authority is exercised "by the book" or by a set of inflexible rules, in an inhumane or dehumanizing way.

I have noted many times how various authorities will "go by the book" because doing so is easy, simple, and safe ... and in so doing will cause grievous harm because they fail to deal with people and situations in a holistic manner. To be fair, the system as a whole tends to work that way and anyone who tries to do differently is likely to find himself or herself out of a job. Regardless, much injustice is done and social problems tend to be perpetuated and worsened, often by the very institutions and agencies whose mission supposedly is to ameliorate or solve them.

I actually edited the above a lot from its original version, which was somewhat more harsh. It is easy to criticize but harder to do better or to make a difference.

Regards and love to all,

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit