Brenda Lee's Response to Editor Regarding Christmas -"Every Day is Special"

by Cocoon 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Cocoon
    Cocoon

By Alice Mannette/staff

[email protected]

To Jehovah's Witnesses, every day is special. Although a Christian religion, those who study "the truth," do not celebrate birthdays, New Year's or Christmas.

"Nobody really knows the date of Jesus' birth," said Richard Henkel, an elder with the church. "We try to keep things in harmony back in the way that Christians did through the ages. Most of the holidays come from the pagans.

Because the specific holidays are not mentioned in the Bible, people who follow the faith do not participate in holidays, Christian or secular.
    "We're trying to purify our religion," Henkel explained. Because many of the holidays have been intermeshed with polytheistic observances, Jehovah's Witnesses avoid them completely. They say that they practice a strict adherence to the Bible's word. "The scriptures tell us not to mix the clean with the unclean."

For some, like Philip Kravitz, following his faith has been easy. A third generation Witness, Kravitz said that he didn't feel that he missed out by not celebrating the holidays. Because of his family's strong bonds and passion for their faith, Kravitz felt impassioned at an early age.

"If you really do appreciate the reason and the motivating force, it's easy," he said.

Kravitz, along with his wife and fellow Witness, Kelly, are raising their four children in the faith.

His step-son, Hunter McDaniel, 14, is impassioned about his religion. He, like his step-father, does not feel that he is missing out on celebrations.

"Mostly I feel sorry for the other ones because basically that's the only time they get to spend time together. We're always together," he said.

Hunter is well versed in the Bible, reading a portion of it each day. "The Bible has principles which we follow." he said.

Leteta Harris, who converted more than 30 years ago after being approached by pioneers at her front door, said that having her children remain in the faith was difficult.

"The teachers wanted to make them feel as if they were being deprived," she said. "I would tell them 'instead of picking just one day to celebrate, we can do that any day and every day.'"

Harris would give her children presents or treats when the time felt right. She would teach them Bible passages and explain how the holidays came about.

"Even in secular magazines we found that the origin of the different holidays were pagan — man-made traditions," Harris explained. Yet after her offspring's strong foundation, only one has stayed with the faith. Most rebelled in their teens or when they first left home. "Materialism has taken them. Birthday celebrations, they get a taste of it and that's it."

Kravitz, whose brother and sister fell away from the faith, said that once children hit their teens, the pressures to conform are sometimes stronger than one's faith.

"It can be challenging, especially for teenagers," he said.

Along with not celebrating holidays, Jehovah's Witnesses do not display religious symbols, obtain blood transfusions or participate in secular government.

They also feel obliged to share their message with others by going door to door and preaching about God, whom they call Jehovah.

"We do not criticize other people for celebrating. We do not tell them that we shouldn't do it," Henkel said. "We teach from the Bible. Jesus is the critical key to everything."

Originally published December 2, 2005

BRENDA LEE'S RESPONSE:

Dear Alice,

I'd like to share something with you something you may not know about Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs).
    Did you know that they used to celebrate Christmas, which they now claim is pagan?
    In their Dec 1, 1904, Watchtower, they write, "Even though Christmas is not the real anniversary of our Lord's birth...it is not necessary for us to quibble particularly about the date. We may as well join with the civilized world in celebrating the grand event on the day which the majority celebrate "Christmas day.""

Then in their Dec. 15, 1983, Watchtower, they changed their tune, "We all need to face up to the fact that Christmas and its music are not from Jehovah, the God of truth. Then what is their source? Reason should suggest that they are from someone whose sole aim now is to mislead as many people as possible. The Bible tells us that this is the goal of Satan the Devil..."

Why is the leadership being so hypocritical? For instance, why are wedding rings acceptable to Jehovah’s Witnesses when they too have a pagan origin? Why do most of the followers have no idea that even former Governing Body members (the elite in the organization) used to celebrate Christmas? Why do they now coldly shun forever any JW family member who chooses to celebrate a holiday--never speaking to them again? After all, aren't they just following the organization's original directives?! (Those elite ones would have been excommunicated had they lived today!) The Watchtower leadership feeds the public this propaganda and never discloses the truth about their "roots" because they want to keep their membership uneducated.

As organizer of the ex-JW Meetup group and now author of a new book which is soon-to-be-released, I can tell you that I grew up as a Jehovah's Witness child and HATED it. I write about my experiences in my book, Out of the Cocoon: A Young Woman's Courageous Flight from the Grip of a Religious Cult. After my mother sat me down and informed me, a nine year old child, that we would never celebrate any holidays or birthdays again, everyone in the world rejoiced that Christmas while I wept. I can’t begin to tell you how unhappy I was--to the point of being suicidal and homicidal--and how many genuinely miserable JW children I saw around me. The responses you hear from JWs when answering why they don't celebrate Christmas are preprogrammed responses. I heard these same responses come out of my mother's mouth 30 years ago!

Jehovah's Witnesses seek to fool the rest of the world into believing that they are happy, united, and divinely guided by "The Truth" and that everyone else is doomed to destruction because of their false beliefs. But their beliefs are not Bible based. Did you know that Colossians 2:16 says "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day"? So true Christians do not automatically judge holidays (including Christmas) negatively. Also, December 27 was the date of the first Jewish festival of Hannukah (also spelled Channukah). In fact, John 10:22 says in the winter Christ, himself a Jewish rabbi, was at the Feast of Dedication, another term for the same religious festival. Luke 2:6 says angels celebrated Christ's birth. For true Christians, it is definitely a Christian celebration, not a pagan ritual.

As a journalist, it is your responsibility and privilege to be able to help educate. I hope you will do so here. Your readers deserve to know the truth about their religion. Then, perhaps they would have a better understanding of the Watchtower organization that they literally live and die by. Please consider publishing this information for them.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Mike Tripp/The News Leader
    Cassidy McDaniel, 10, follows along in her copy of "Examining the Scriptures Daily 2005" on Wednesday. Of the Jehovah's Witnesses faith, their family have spent time in devotional study each day for the last nine years. Every day is special
    Staunton News Leader, VA - 14 minutes ago
    By Alice Mannette/staff. To Jehovah's Witnesses, every day is special. Although a Christian religion, those who study "the truth," do ... Every day is special
    For Jehovah's Witnesses, holidays and birthday celebrations dilute Christianity's true meaning. To them ... By Alice Mannette/staff [email protected]

To Jehovah's Witnesses, every day is special. Although a Christian religion, those who study "the truth," do not celebrate birthdays, New Year's or Christmas. "Nobody really knows the date of Jesus' birth," said Richard Henkel, an elder with the church. "We try to keep things in harmony back in the way that Christians did through the ages. Most of the holidays come from the pagans."

Because the specific holidays are not mentioned in the Bible, people who follow the faith do not participate in holidays, Christian or secular. "We're trying to purify our religion," Henkel explained. Because many of the holidays have been intermeshed with polytheistic observances, Jehovah's Witnesses avoid them completely. They say that they practice a strict adherence to the Bible's word. "The scriptures tell us not to mix the clean with the unclean." For some, like Philip Kravitz, following his faith has been easy. A third generation Witness, Kravitz said that he didn't feel that he missed out by not celebrating the holidays. Because of his family's strong bonds and passion for their faith, Kravitz felt impassioned at an early age. "If you really do appreciate the reason and the motivating force, it's easy," he said. Kravitz, along with his wife and fellow Witness, Kelly, are raising their four children in the faith. His step-son, Hunter McDaniel, 14, is impassioned about his religion. He, like his step-father, does not feel that he is missing out on celebrations. "Mostly I feel sorry for the other ones because basically that's the only time they get to spend time together. We're always together," he said. Hunter is well versed in the Bible, reading a portion of it each day. "The Bible has principles which we follow." he said. Leteta Harris, who converted more than 30 years ago after being approached by pioneers at her front door, said that having her children remain in the faith was difficult. "The teachers wanted to make them feel as if they were being deprived," she said. "I would tell them 'instead of picking just one day to celebrate, we can do that any day and every day.'" Harris would give her children presents or treats when the time felt right. She would teach them Bible passages and explain how the holidays came about. "Even in secular magazines we found that the origin of the different holidays were pagan — man-made traditions," Harris explained. Yet after her offspring's strong foundation, only one has stayed with the faith. Most rebelled in their teens or when they first left home. "Materialism has taken them. Birthday celebrations, they get a taste of it and that's it." Kravitz, whose brother and sister fell away from the faith, said that once children hit their teens, the pressures to conform are sometimes stronger than one's faith. "It can be challenging, especially for teenagers," he said. Along with not celebrating holidays, Jehovah's Witnesses do not display religious symbols, obtain blood transfusions or participate in secular government. They also feel obliged to share their message with others by going door to door and preaching about God, whom they call Jehovah. "We do not criticize other people for celebrating. We do not tell them that we shouldn't do it," Henkel said. "We teach from the Bible. Jesus is the critical key to everything." Originally published December 2, 2005 --------------------------- Danny Haszard's letter to editor: WHY-Jehovah's Witnesses don't do Christmas I was born Jehovah's Witness 1957 3rd generation.Yup,we didn't celebrate Christmas and were miserable the rest of the year too.
    The reason JW's don't do Christmas is because their Watchtower leaders say so,the holiday has pagan aspects to it and by rejecting it the Watchtower appears "pure". This "demand for purity" is one of the 8 marks of a cult.NOW the Watchtower can use this purity diversion to distract from their own practice of wicked deeds. ----- All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men/women to do nothing-Danny Haszard Bangor Maine

• under74
    under74

awsome responses Brenda and Danny. I'm going to try and come up with something to write to her now.

• outnfree
    outnfree

I thought it interesting that Ms. Mannette reported this:

Leteta Harris, who converted more than 30 years ago after being approached by pioneers at her front door, said that having her children remain in the faith was difficult.

without explaining what "pioneers" are since it has a special connotation among the Witnesses.

Does anyone else think that the reporter may be a Witness herself?

outnfree

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    without explaining what "pioneers" are since it has a special connotation among the Witnesses.

Does anyone else think that the reporter may be a Witness herself?

GOOD CATCH!

A "good" journalist strives to have their work understood to the general reader......just tossing out the term "pioneer" would leave the public with an image of Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett knocking on doors to make recruits!

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do you think she will write another article about JW's?:

Dec. 3, 2005 Dear Ms. Mannette, It was with great interest that I read your article concerning Jehovah's Witnesses and hoilday celebrations. It gave me much insight into the beliefs of this group and helped me understand why so many young Jehovah's Witnesses I have talked with and counseled are very confused and unhappy with their faith and unique family situations. One doctrine I am particularly interested in is the practice of shunning former members of this religious sect. Many of the young Jehoavh's Witnesses I have had contact with feel devastated by this policy which, from what I understand is enforced by excommunicating family members who defy this directive and continue relations with their children who leave the religion. I look forward to reading any articles from you that explain this doctrine which is commonly practiced by Jehovah's Witnesses. Sincerely, J. Robert Evans Walland, TN.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    every day is special

When i was a jw, i never found that to be the case. Assemblies, the memorial, special meetings were special. But, the rest was grey. Now, i find that most days are special, because they are all mine, and they will come to an end one day.

S

• Cocoon
    Cocoon

We were so poor while I was growing up that I wore my brother's (yes, brother's!) hand-me-down clothing. And he was 10 years older, so you can only imagine how old and unfashionable his clothing was. Christmas was the ONLY time of year that I ever got new clothes or perhaps a toy. I remember my dad's verbal response when mother became a JW. He was actually relieved that he didn't have to spend any more money on us kids, money he didn't have. So when we stopped celebrating X-mas, I never saw another present for the next nine years--until I celebrated Christmas again at age 18. My mother used to tell people who asked, "My daughter doesn't miss Christmas because we give gifts to each other all year long." It was a preprogrammed response and it was an absolute lie!! But now, I not only celebrate Christmas with my son but, unlike my JW mother, he truly does get Christmas gifts AND gifts year round..even if it is just a card to tell him how special he is to me. If JWs had been truthful and said to the inquiring worldly person, "You know, you're right. I don't ever give my kid anything now that I'm a JW and I know he/she's miserable, but that's our belief system," I may have never seen the hypocrisy to the extent that I did. Thank goodness they are such bad liars! Brenda Lee www.outofthecocoon.net

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    My mother used to tell people who asked, "My daughter doesn't miss Christmas because we give gifts to each other all year long." It was a preprogrammed response and it was an absolute lie!!

Not only a bogus dub lie but any 'disposable' monies went into the KH 'contribution' box i still have most of my deformed crooked teeth cause my elder dad was gonna be damned if he was gonna spend any of jehover's money on dental braces & a pretty smile that don't give everlasting life.

Dad sez,"the watchtower lesson from Jehovah today "brought out" how better to enter the new system maimed and deformed then perish at armageddon".-Danny Haszard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit