Snide Remarks Said in Field Service

by prophecor 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• prophecor
    prophecor

"Such and such got baptised? How much longer do you think Jehovahs gonna' to wait before the new system gets here?" Ever hear such reasoning in casual talk among the friends? Brother or Sister so&so finally got it together and took the plunge. It was a condecending way of saying, a. How did YOU get baptised? b. God certainly must have more people to save. c. If it can happen to them, it can happen to anybody. d. I'm bored let's go, come on let's go....

• luna2
    luna2

All the time. Unfortunately J-dubbiness seems to bring out the bitch in people. I never judged others so much as when I was a dub.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My ex used to make snide remarks to people she was with, whether in service or not. Two one-liners come to mind:

• Deb: I got baptized when I was 10.
    • Myex: That was the fault of the elders.

• Deb: My parents stopped sleeping together after I was born.
    • Myex: That's understandable.

Like most dubs, she didn't have the greatest social skills.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    I never judged others so much as when I was a dub.

Me neither, and the sad part of it was that I didn't even know I was doing that.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Unfortunately J-dubbiness seems to bring out the bitch in people. I never judged others so much as when I was a dub.

Well...yeah! The only things you heard as a JW was how RIGHT WE WERE and how WRONG EVERYONE ELSE was! From their dress, entertainment, religion, holidays.....etc etc. the WTS was always on the top of the heap and "everyone else" was inferior. How ELSE were we to react when every article, talk, skit, drama and conversation was geared to "they are all wrong and are gonna die" and "we are the ONLY ones that are approved by God himself!" It doesn't leave much room for tolerance of others..does it?

Unfortunately I was caught up in this terrible mindset as well and I missed out on a lot while being this way. Being "out" from under this brainwashing, I have learned a lot about others and I am a much happier person FOR it. NonJWs does NOT equal "horribly evil" people, much as the WTS would like us to believe this.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

NonJWs does NOT equal "horribly evil" people, much as the WTS would like us to believe this. so true! when I was growing up as a JW I was convinced that any non-JW was a terrible person -- they were all drug addicts, prostitutes, liars, thieves, etc according to the JWs and according to my parents. I have been so pleasantly surprised over the years to learn that the exact opposite is true. Some of the most deceitful, immoral people I've known have been JW's -- but as long as they put in the hours, attend meetings, and practice basic hypocrisy all is well! Sometimes my mom gets on her soapbox and starts telling me some ridiculous story about JW's and how by their upstanding conduct they were able to provide such a wonderful witness that scores of people immediately began flocking to the k.h. This is the garbage that is spewed at the circuit assemblies -- they spend hours patting themselves on the backs and talking about how everyone else is wrong, evil, demonized, and so forth. It just makes me sick. ok, I'm rambling...sorry -- I just get started and can't stop!! :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit