How do you know Satan didn't write the Bible?

by seattleniceguy 31 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

seattleniceguy,

if you believe in a world where magic is real, then it's really impossible to believe anything

We have to get together for coffee one morning when yuo can take the whole day off. LOL!

I believe in a world where at the quantum level matter appears and disappears, is somehow affected by its disappearance to reappear in a modified form than the form it had when it disappeared (often seen in movement relative to the observer's perspective).

I believe that such a world would have been considered magical 100 years ago. Heck, even 50 years ago.

I believe quantum physics is in the process of proving that the universe is more magical than we believed.

I am a believer. Many scientists are also starting to believe. Science labels what they find, if they ever found evidence of a spiritual world what form would such evidence take? They would label as many properties as they could and start referring to it as though they had properly "thingified" whatever it was they described by the act of describing it.

You probably see the logical fallacy inherent in that methodology for discovery. Once something has been "thingified" its basic nature is rarely reexamined. Our longtime fascination with light has been caused by its stubborn resistance to "thingification." It holds out interest because of this.

But there is a long list of evidence of realities that either cannot be seen, touched, or felt. These have been improperly "thingified."

For instance, you cannot sell me a magnetic field. It is not a noun, yet almost any dictionary lists it as a noun. Magnetic force is likewise not a thing, any more than any forces are things. But when we find phenomenas we describe as much as we can and call it a thing. That is why I do not believe science will ever discover anything spiritual, I don't think it possibly can because of how it does what it does.

A gluon is a made up name for a theoretical neutral massless particle that is more likely with every study done. It causes quarks to combine into hadrons. How long have we had these terms? What are the properties of these bits; gluons, quarks, and hadrons? How can a neutral massless particle exist without magic? How can such a particle exert NO FORCE over quarks but at the same time CAUSE them to bind to form hadrons?

Why is that important to know? Because hadrons experience strong force, whereas leptons do not. What is a hadron? What is a lepton? Let's get bigger: What is an eletron, a muon, or a neutrino? Oh wait! Those ARE leptons. How much would a five gallong bucket filled with electrons weigh? Would I be able to see them? Could I stick my hand in the bucket and feel them?

But we believe in them...magic little elves and pixies, that make up...well...everything.

AuldSoul

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit
    My husband and I seen a show somewhat along that line of reasoning...It was about how Satan is the one who REALLY loves us and God is the one who doesn't!

you may be referring to "The Devil's Advocate" where the devil, played by Al Pacino says God is a "twisted (explitive)" with crazy rules "look but dont touch, touch but dont taste, taste but dont eat" whereas he is "a fan of man".

• ringo5
    ringo5

"Because hadrons experience strong force"

heh,heh, he said hadrons, heh,heh

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

[Narrator] Next, Butthead explains quantum physics to Beavis.

[Butthead] huh-huh, those hadron are "experienced." heh-heh, huh-huh-huh Those quarks, like, totally scored...and that's how baby hadrons are made. Quarks get more action than you do, butt-munch. huh-huh you're never gonna score, Beavis. huh-huh Quarks get more action than you.

[Beavis] N-yeah-yeah-yeah! Hnnn-hn-hn-hnn. I'm never gonna score. Quarks are cool, 'cause they score...'n stuff...hnn-hn-n-n-hnnn.

• katydid
    katydid
    Why would he want to 'off himself' in the last chapter?
    you may be referring to "The Devil's Advocate"

That's what I was thinking.

Kevin (Keanu Reeves): "In the Bible, you (we?) lose."

The Devil (Al Pacino): "Well consider the source, son!"

• sf
    sf

Ah yes, Lucifer, the Illuminated One. I've always wondered why Satan was considered Dark, or "of the dark side" when indeed He is Light. Light, as I see it (pun intended), means Honesty Revealed. How can THAT be Evil?

"Some Light on Lucifer" by Ina Belderis

Lucifer means lightbringer, from the Latin lux "light" and ferre "to bear or bring." The word Lucifer is found in only one place in the Bible -- Isaiah ...
    www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/world/christ/xt-ibel2.htm - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Lucifer, the East. Crown Prince of Satan.

"The Roman god, Lucifer, was the bearer of light, the spirit of the air, ... Yet it is this which Lucifer (as bearer of the spiritual light) would wish man ...
    www.dpjs.co.uk/lucifer.html - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

sKally

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

>> We have to get together for coffee one morning when yuo can take the whole day off. LOL!
    Indeed. It would be interesting. And I have to admit, I still have my suspicions that you are actually a former friend of mine only *pretending* to live in Georgia. :-)
    I thought your comments on "thingification" were interesting, although I'm not sure if I agree with your conclusion that magic disappears when something is thigified. One could argue that the magic disappears when it is explained. But personally, I disagree with that as well. Even though I know what causes sunrises and sunsets (and - gasp - I've gone and named them), their beauty does not diminish for me. Even though I understand what the Milky Way is, it is no less beautiful. In fact, understanding that I am looking edge-on through my own galaxy actually makes it all the more beautiful to me.
    There is a qualitative difference between believing in fundamental particles - even those that as yet we know little about - and elves and pixies. The reason we believe in the fundamental particles is that observation after observation, experiment after experiment has uniformly indicated their existence. The forces you describe, for example, magnetic fields, behave predictably and reliably, every time. Only a fool would NOT believe in the force of magnetism.
    This is light-years away from stories about elves and gods who go traipsing through the world writing a Bible here, making pots of gold here, with no evidence to show for it.
    When I said that "when you believe in a magical world, you cannot believe anything," I meant a world in which things happen without physical cause and without leaving any physical evidence. The problem with that type of thinking is that you can just make stuff up and it's okay. "Oh, by the way, God called me last Thursday and said to stop wearing neckties." He did? Okay, then! That's a tad bit different than saying, "We smashed two hydrogen molecules together and they appeared to break apart into several smaller particles. Let's see if we can learn more about their properties."
    SNG

• jw
    jw

Maybe ya know cause Satan has his own bible, why would he be foolish and take credit for Gods work and be perished by GOD any sooner than he will be perished.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Hey jw, remember that time you plagiarized the Society, and then lied about it? Also, most board moderators consider bumping long-dead threads as spamming or abuse.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Even if an entity did some amazing miracles it does not follow that their claims about themselves are necessarily true.

If an entity starts predicting scores for sports events, heals down syndrome kids, and stops hurricanes you can never know if they are really doing these things or if they have some help from some still greater undisclosed entity.

And just because some entity does something wonderful for you today that doesn't mean that they may not decide to do something awful to you in the future.

We are trapped by whatever information our sensory systems are capable of delivering. Our brains are not universal "truth" detectors.

This is why the Bible is not authored by an omnicient omnipotent omnibenevolent being. Such a being would never hold us accountable for disbelief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit