One Day Assembly - Special Talk

by Mystery 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mystery
    Mystery

If it has already been discussed please refer me to the link; i looked but did not see one.

My mom & sister came down to see me and my family for Thanksgiving a few days to have turkey and dressing. They haven't been down in 3 - 4 years; but due to the new addition to my immediate family - my first grandbaby - they had an excuse to come.

I called them before they began their trip and mom was tired because they had just returned from a one day assembly in Houston and now she had to pack to get ready to leave again and drive the 12 hours to my house. I ask her how the assembly was, she said "Oh it was really really good" and changed the subject.

They stayed 5 days. We basically have a "don't ask, don't tell" relationship. They don't ask about my life and i don't tell about the holidays, birthday parties, my volunteer work etc... Pretty much we watch TV, play cards and shop.

Mom mentioned a book that was on my entertainment center, about how pretty it was. I ask which one and she said "The black one with the gold writing, i can't see the title." It was the NRSV Holy Bible, if she had continued looking she would have also noticed the King James version, The Open Bible, the JW Bible, several concordance of the books, Crisis of the Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom. I saw my sister give her 'the look' so mom didn't say anything else. I mentioned the assembly again, my sister said 'oh yea, we saw so&so and so&so, they said to tell you hi." Again no mention of the subject of the special talk.

I was wondering what wonderful information was shared with the loyal that apparently was not for me, the unfaithful, to know about.

---finally relaxing, drinking my coffee and reading with all my apostate friends

• Soledad
    Soledad
    I was wondering what wonderful information was shared with the loyal that apparently was not for me, the unfaithful, to know about

None. Many witnesses build up such high hopes and expectations when the words "special talk" are used but then when they realized that the "talk" reveals nothing new or exciting they just as quickly like to forget about it and not even share any details with anyone. At least that is true in my mother's case.

When I first left the WT, for about 1 year she would call me regularly to tell me "this Sunday there will be a Bethelite giving the talk" or on X date "there will be a special talk" or "the assembly this year will be very important, everyone is encouraged to attend, there will be a special announcement." Every single time she said this I told her that there won't be anything special, just the same old over and over again. Invariably, when I called her after the meeting she was never able to relay anything new or "special." After a while she didn't call me anymore with news of a "special talk" or meeting.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Mystery, I'm sure this has been discussed before but I stink at using the search function.

Here is the 2005-2006 Special Assembly Day Program (U.S.):

Theme: "Keep Your Eye Simple" Matt. 6:22

Morning Session

9:40 Music

9:50 Song No. 26 and prayer

10:00 Why Keep Your Eye Simple

10:15 Reap Blessings for Keeping a Simple Eye

10:40 Be Sound in Mind - The End Draws Near

10:55 Song No. 9 and Announcements

11:05 Keeping a Simple Eye in a Wicked World

11:35 Dedication and Baptism

12:05 Song No. 152

Afternoon Session

1:20 Music

1:30 Song No. 164

1:35 Experiences

1:45 Watchtower Summary

2:15 Parents Who Aim Their Arrows Aright

2:30 Youths Who Reach Out for Spiritual Goals

2:45 Song No. 157 and Announcements

2:55 Focus on Moving Ahead with Jehovah's Organization

3:55 Song No. 222 and Prayer

I would add these small tidbits from my notes:

From the talk: "Sound in Mind as the End Draws Near"

- 1 Peter 4:7; Hab. 2:3

Where are in the stream of time? These are reasons for not losing our sense of urgency.

-2 Tim. 3:1-5 Critical times hard to deal with.

-Living in time of the feet of Daniel's image

-Earthwide preaching work occurring

-Satan and his demons being in earth's vicinity, not heaven

-Living in time of 8th king

From the talk "Focus on Moving Ahead with Jehovah's Organization"

I'll be honest with you here. I expected this talk to discuss following Jehovah's organization no matter what it says. It really dealt more with the current expansion of the organization [yes, I know I know]. It was pretty much a summation of the previously presented material. Putting off worldly things and focusing on our spirituality. There were no earth shattering statements made or points brought out. Just the basics of keep doing witness things first and forget about the fun stuff of life.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Here's the real agenda for the "SPECIAL" assembly day (SAD):

Theme: Keep Being Simple-Minded

MORNING SEIZURE

10:00 Why We Want You to Keep Being Simple-Minded

10:15 Imaginary Blessings for Simply obeying the Watchtower’s Direction

10:40 Be Simple Minded – Believe that the end is near!

11:05 Being Simple Minded in a Complex World

11:35 Baptism for the Simple Minded

AFTERNOON SEIZURE

1:35 Lies, Damn Lies and “Experiences”

1:45 Watchtower Summary – We’ll tell you how to be humble! And you’d better listen

2:15 Parents – Keep your children from having an actual life

2:30 Youths Who are Trapped in Dead-end Watchtower goals

2:55 Focus on Spinning your Wheels in the Watchtower organization

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Gopher - LMAO - that was really funny, but you know what's sad? that you are so RIGHT!

IC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit