What does it mean to be a Christian?

by serendipity 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• serendipity
    serendipity

What does being a Christian mean to you? Is being a good Christian an important goal for you?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Following in Chrits footsteps as closely as possible - being the epitome of love etc

• Jesus Witness
    Jesus Witness

I think it is important to be a good Christian.

But that does not get me to heaven.

Ephesians 2:8: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Eph:2:9: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Romans 3:23: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Ro:3:24: Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Romans 6:23: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

2Tmmothy 1:9: Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Timothy 3:5: Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Ti:3:6: Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    What does being a Christian mean to you?

it means someone who has adopted one of the most evolved religious memes as their own by either taking it spoon-fed from childhood, or an adult problem with mental discontinuity.

Is being a good Christian an important goal for you?

um, no. being "good" isn't even a goal of mine... TS

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

For me "being a Christian" means a personal acceptance as truth and belief in Bibical teaching and theology. I may not "see" it, or even aways understand it but therein lies the "faith".

As far a being a "good" Christian....I guess it depends on your definition.

I am not a murderer, and yet I believe in the death penalty and in protecting my family by force

I am not a strict churchgoer..don't preach to people and am not always quoting scripture

I cuss, smoke the occassional cigar, enjoy an adult beverage now and then and have a relationship with my loving wife of 15 years that works for us but would not work for everyone.

I am a chaplain and in recent years have shed countless tears with families that have lost loved ones in war, terror attacks and other service to their communities and country.

Am I a good Christian ? Many would say no... Some would call me a drinker, a pervert or question my brotherly love because of my views on guns, capital punishment or other issues.

I think I do okay for a sinner.... I care for my family, am loyal to my friends and try to do my part to make things better for those in pain or in need.

I'll get back to you on how it turns out once I hit the pearly gates !

• Carmel
    Carmel

The recognition of those that were Christs regardless of time or culture!

carmel

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

To be a truth speaking, long haired rebel who hangs around fishing boats, eats & drinks with publicans, prostitutes and the poor, - but can't handle haughty, fancy dressed, self-righteous, church going expousers of rules and laws.

think they've got the whole thing backwards?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Having a personal relationship with Christ, which is sealed with the "Spirt" of adoption.

This should create a spontaneous reciprocation of "love" that enables an individual to fulfil the two laws of love (loving God and neighbour), to a greater or lesser extent. All else is commentary.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The Apostles Creed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit