Comments You Will Not Hear at the 11-27-05 WT Study (Humility)

by blondie 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cellist
    Cellist

Yes, those concluding prayers at the conventions!!!! Ugh. That sure brought back memories. I used to always complain (just to my husband, of course). Did they think that God has a poor memory? Or maybe he was just extra sinful and needed a bit more prompting!

Thanks for your hard work Blondie.

Cellist

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Strange article, it seemed that the points made did not fit the overall theme.

p1] "World leaders did not leave a record of genuine humility" - well of course not. That why they became great leaders!

something of an admission in p. 11/12. the 1920 quote said back then, that lack of humility was a problem among the "Lords people". Today's article said "true Christians have to struggle to be humble"

What does this tell us about those who get to the top in this Org? Ask yourself about the people that you work with , do they have a problem? I have worked 25 years in a large company with lots of people. A few were climbing the ladder of success and thought a lot of themselves, but by far the most were just ordinary people who fitted in to life without thinking too much of themselves. Once again the WTS claims the monopoly on decency in this world.

Perhaps by 'humility' they mean accepting unquestionably all the WT doctrines and statements, then yes , that would be be a struggle.

The illustration of sport and football is hardly appropriate {In my humble opinion] since sport is hardly real life. Anyway no point in competing in sport unless you go out to win, is there? If 2 dubs have a game of tiddly winks, do they each try and let the other one win?

p16. "Having a regular share in the Christian ministry can also help us to be humble" - That may be true. Nothing like being kicked off a few doorsteps to make you think you are stupid.!

p17 "It takes humility for a Christian father to set aside time from his own pursuits to prepare and conduct and effective Bible Study with his children" - Really? is it not a joy to spend quality time with your family, or is it a chore to be slotted into congregation duties?

All in all , not a classic of study articles...

Nb surely a humble person would be willing to listen to another point of view and not believe he had the sole truth on everything ... but that is not what the WTS means, either....

• crazycate
    crazycate

Is it just me...or does anyone else think it's odd that they quote themselves as supporting documentation? "As we said in 1920..." Perhaps, therefore, I can make a statement, and to support it I can say, 'in proof thereof, please read my words on the previous two pages.'

Huh!?

Cate

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I can't tell if it is seasonal flu, or this lesson that has me very queasy.

Haughtiness; for the life of me, tell me again why this is worth an entire hour of anyone's time.

In any other social system, those without humility would be voted out, laughed out or pushed out. However, in the arbitrary social ranking system in the WT, where the leaders are chosen from afar, this is apparently important.

But it is not the leaders that are the target here; they get the real information from the recent elders school, where they learn that they can ask young and old alike about intimate sexual behavior. How is that humble??? Is it not the height of haughtiness to think that someone elses private affairs are fair game to discuss in front of three strange men? Because face it, most elders do not call up the young ones to get a ball game together, or go for coffee. They wait for trouble, and then move in like vultures.

I got the old feeling of being trapped when I read this article, as if I was back in that room listening to how the elders were commenting and wondering if they were thinking of their own superior attitudes, or were they thinking of how the rank and file should not ask questions and should go along with all of their suggestions, since they speak for God, oops I mean they are part of God's visible earthly organization. CREEPY.

Did anyone else notice not ONE reference to NT examples were given? There were examples of those who were outspoken, too; were they disfellowshipped? I can't think of an example. They did get a mention though; apparently it was not as important as the WT wants to make it.

According to this article, lack of humility is right up there with fornication as something that will get us God's (the WT's) disapproval.

MEANWHILE, the WT has never apoligized to any of us for discouraging college by saying that we would NEVER fulfill a career in our field, as the end was months away.

Or for changing its policy on blood, to include hemophiliac treatments and RH issues; did the families with dead loved ones get a card??

Did the men who languished in prison over a military alternative service policy get a "sorry" card when they changed that policy in 1996?

MOST IMPORTANT: Did the Berry sisters get an apology from the elders, CO, DO or the gray men in Brooklyn after their father savagely abused them, only to have the congregation side with him????

ATTENTION TED JARASCZ AND ALL OF THE GB AND WRITING STAFF: YOU ARE THE MOST HAUGHTY MEN ON THE PLANET. You think that God speaks thru you!!!! How can you talk about humility when you think you are God's mouthpiece??? Is your behavior like Jesus?

I am embarassed to have ever been a witness; I rue the day my mother was baptized. I abhor the fact that neither she or me ever did the research on this pathetic religion, and that half of my family is still there.

HUMILITY? TRY IT SOMETIME, GB.

• nilfun
    nilfun

Blondie -- your reviews will probably let me know which topic is likely to be worked into the conversation. I got a call this weekend on the need to be humble. Coincidence? (Now I'm wondering how often the convo lines up with the week's WT study...)

• yesidid
    yesidid

Thanks again Blondie,

Yours, are undoubtedly, the most interesting Wt studies on the planet.

yesidid

• blondie
    blondie

Min, actually, JWs might start out humble. But

They must be teachable. But they are not taught the things of Christ but the rules of men.

They need to follow orders.

But not the orders from God but the orders of men who say they are from God but their actions prove otherwise.

Never question.

The organization although Jesus invited questions.

Be obedient, subservient, a lesser one.

Until you prove to the elders you are worthy and get appointed…then you become a "glorious one" deserving "double honor."

Hey, Hadenuf, how goes the knee and drugs?

He was told by the PO that he would have to meet with them all INDIVIDUALLY because it wouldn't be good to embarrass the elders (all of them actually) in front of one another.

In one situation, I insisted they all be there. They embarrassed themselves and then had to embarrass themselves again in front of the CO (his requirement). It all depends on the CO’s agenda which was to use this situation to control these elders.

Very good, A Paduan

being humble is to tell it like it is

Being a JW is telling it like it isn’t—Theocratic strategy

Heathen,

the perfect opportunity for the publishing corporation to lead by example and ask forgiveness for their mistakes and misinformation

We won’t hold our breath, right? Here is the standard out that the WTS always uses.

w98 8/15 pp. 12-13 Jehovah Should Be Our Confidence ***
    Jehovah has chosen to use loyal and devoted men to guide his people, even though they are imperfect men. Accordingly, while elders today are imperfect, we still ought to recognize them as "[appointed by] the holy spirit [to be] overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God." They deserve our support and respect.—Acts 20:28.

Hi, jgnat, good point, the WTS changed the term "servant" to "overseer" in the early 70’s. That shows you how they feel about the elders.

They put others before themselves because they are strong enough to do so.

The only time elders would put a publisher "before themselves" is if they were walking through a minefield.

Stillawitness,

My condolences for having to still attend the meetings.

I had looked over the WT this week and thought "oh this week there's nothing special about the lesson-

I’m glad to see that you seeing a little more deeply into the words the WTS chooses. When I toured that area I was told that nothing is just by chance. That several men have looked those words over and over, adjusting them to the smallest degree. They are designed to "manipulate."

Cyber-sista

(so glad to see you back)
    These articles for on humilty were always difficult to swallow when you looked around and saw brother so-in-so who drives a rolls royce to the KH--seriously, we had one of those....and then all the others dressed in their expensive sunday best--women with manicured nails--etc. you all know the scene.

Don’t I know it; and you dare not say anything since these people were donating to the KH coffers and had the protection of the BOE.

Another good point,

JWs are too good for the rest of humankind and are taught to not even associate with anyone else that is not JW approved.

YC

(glad to see you again too)
    Is any member of the "Governing Body" willing to pay for the costs of all the retired people who gave up everything because they believed "Millions Now Living will never Die?"

That reminds me of a scripture the WTS loves to throw around.

(Psalm 146:3) Do not put YOUR trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs.

Cellist

, yes, those prayers
    I used to always complain (just to my husband, of course). Did they think that God has a poor memory?

Locally, the brothers are counseled not to review the meeting. But I guess at the convention, the rules are different.

*** w99 1/15 p. 16 Lift Up Loyal Hands in Prayer ***
    For instance, an elder chosen to say the final prayer at an assembly should give it advance thought and may desire to mention several points. Yet, even such a prayer should not be of excessive length.

Bingo, Bluesbrother
    Perhaps by 'humility' they mean accepting unquestionably all the WT doctrines and statements, then yes , that would be be a struggle.

*** w94 1/15 p. 17 Shepherds and Sheep in a Theocracy ***

Cooperation with theocratic organization is a vital part of submitting to theocracy.

*** w91 10/15 p. 14 How Happy the Mild-Tempered! ***

A mild temper helps Jehovah’s people to be submissive and to keep their place in his organization.

*** w90 11/1 p. 30 ‘Continue to Be Readjusted’ ***

Thus, when direction comes from Jehovah’s organization, we can wisely submit to it, knowing full well that Jehovah will only lead us in a way that will be to our everlasting benefit

*** w88 11/15 p. 17 Helping Others to Worship God ***

The two elders will inform the student that when he qualifies for and shares in the field service, he may turn in a field service report and a Congregation’s Publisher Record card will be made out in his name. This will demonstrate his affiliation with the theocratic organization of Jehovah’s Witnesses and his submission to it.

*** w85 9/1 p. 7 You Can Walk With God ***

We, too, must take care to submit to God’s direction as given through his Word and organization. Independence can only get us hopelessly lost. By modestly walking with God, however, we can be led safely through the oncoming storm of Armageddon and survive into a promised new order.

Welcome, crazycate,
    does anyone else think it's odd that they quote themselves as supporting documentation? "As we said in 1920..." Perhaps, therefore, I can make a statement, and to support it I can say, 'in proof thereof, please read my words on the previous two pages.'

You have discovered a standard "trick" the WTS uses. "Measuring themselves by themselves"
    (2 Corinthians 10:12) 12
    For we do not dare to class ourselves among some or compare ourselves with some who recommend themselves. Certainly they in measuring themselves by themselves and comparing themselves with themselves have no understanding.

Good points, pistoff,

Because face it, most elders do not call up the young ones to get a ball game together, or go for coffee. They wait for trouble, and then move in like vultures.
    MEANWHILE, the WT has never apoligized to any of us for discouraging college by saying that we would NEVER fulfill a career in our field, as the end was months away.
    Or for changing its policy on blood, to include hemophiliac treatments and RH issues; did the families with dead loved ones get a card??
    Did the men who languished in prison over a military alternative service policy get a "sorry" card when they changed that policy in 1996?
    MOST IMPORTANT: Did the Berry sisters get an apology from the elders, CO, DO or the gray men in Brooklyn after their father savagely abused them, only to have the congregation side with him????

Nilfun!
    I got a call this weekend on the need to be humble.

Now wasn’t that humble of them!

Hugs, yesidid,

Yours, are undoubtedly, the most interesting Wt studies on the planet.

I try in spite of the basic material I have to work with.

Thanks,

Blondie
  • willyloman
    willyloman

Thanks, girl, you rock!

This WT comment was one thing that jumped out at me:

Christian meetings are not held primarily to give and receive counsel.

In fact, the opposite is true. Thinking back to almost any meeting I ever attended, the vast majority of the minutes were spent on precisely those endeavors. What is the WT study if not an opportunity to give counsel to the rank and file -- to say nothing of those who preach from their seats (to the choir)? What is the book study but an opportunity to counsel the sheep on what to think and how to reason? The entire TM School exists to give counsel, not only to the "student" speakers but in turn to the audience. And what service meeting have you ever attended that did not have at least one part (if not all of them) devoted to counseling JWs on their behavior, field service performance and habits, or other matters?

Cog Dis reigns supreme throughout this organization, and the boys in Writing are no exception.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit