When Prophecy Fails

by Nate Merit 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Hello LadyLee

I will probably order a copy, if I can find one for a good price. I had six copies and none of them were ever returned.

So, you're Canadian, eh? Now that I've been in CA for nearly twenty years I can hear the Michigan accent of my family who still live in MI. It sounds similar to a "Canadian" accent, at least to my ears.

I would love to escape the USA for Canada, but I literally would not survive the winters.

Namaste,
    Nathan

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Thanks VM44! These people are weirdly fascinating. Much like a trainwreck. On some level I'm horrified, yet its nearly impossible not to look.

Nate

• VM44
    VM44

From: http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/updates/1998/jun/m28-010.shtml

Martin, who lived till 1992
    (she died in Sedona, Arizona), was more akin to a spirit
    medium/channeler than she was even to other contactees

From: http://www.s-t.com/daily/04-97/04-04-97/a06wn035.htm

In Chicago, a lesser-known channeler called Dorothy Martin developed a following based on messages from the spaceship commander Sananda. Ms. Martin changed her name several times and eventually moved to Arizona, where she died. But believers still wait for Sananda to swoop down in his spaceship and save them.

Festinger and his colleagues infiltrated a small channeling group near Chicago that predicted great earth changes, including floods that could end the world. Festinger was testing his theory of cognitive dissonance. The group got its directions from a Ramtha-like spirit called Sananda. The channel, named "Marian Keech" in the book, was probably Dorothy Martin who eventually settled in Arizona where she dabbled in Scientology. She continued to channel "space brothers" and Sananda until her death in 1992.

• VM44
    VM44

Why am I still researching this topic?

Oh well, it appears that real names of Dorthoy Martin and Dr Laughead, and the location, Chicago, were given in a 1955 Los Angeles Times article. So those who kept up with flying saucer news knew quite well who these people were.

Here is the article.

Los Angeles Times; Mar 11, 1955, pg 14

SPACE PARLEY IN DESERTFlying Saucer Riders Will Tell All About It

Anybody for Mars?
    Or the Milky-Way?

Tomorrow is your chance if you want to learn how to hitchhike on a space ship and visit the far places of outer space, plumb off the tourist track.

It's convention time for space ships fans out at Giant Rock Airport near Joshua Tree in the Mojave Desert. Several thousand persons are expected to gather in the isolated spot which has become headquarters for a group purporting to communicate with the residents of outer space.

All day tomorrow, according to George van Tassel, head of the College of Universal Wisdom at Giant Rock, the space fans will be able to meet several men who say they have taken rides on flying saucers.

Everybody is warned, however, to bring his own food, gasoline, wood and water and plenty of cover. Neither food nor gasoline will be for sale, and visitors will have to camp out.

Chicago Still There

Prominent among those on the program is Dr. Charles Laughead of Chicago, who got mixed up last December in predictions by Dorothy Martin of that city concerning dire events that were supposed to happen on earth Dec. 21. Dr. Laughead, as a result, gave up his job as staff physician at Michigan State College and now is reported planning to locate on the West Coast. Dr. Laughead passed along predictions of upheavals in the Lake Michigan area, and of the reapearance in the ocean of the lost continents of Mu and Atlantis. He denies predicting the end of the world.

Anyway, Chicago survived and neither Mu nor Atlantis obliged.

Along with Dr. Laughead the space ship hitchhikers will be featured on tomorrow's program.

Van Tassel told The Times yesterday that George Williamson and Richard Miller and Dr. Laughead already are at the airport for the session. Williamson, Miller and Truman Bethrum, Daniel Fry and Orfeo Angelucci profess to have ridden in space ships and will tell their "experiences."

Many of the visitors to the convention may fly their planes to the Giant Rock Airport.

So far, the exact number of reservations from one type of visitor - those from the wide open spaces beyond Andromeda - has not been announced.

• blondie
  • Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Hello Supreme One Blondie!

Thank you for the links. I'm quite surprised at the price. On second though, no I'm not. It's a marvelous out-of-print book. Too bad it's still copyrighted.

Charly Atlas
    "You too can have muscles like mine!"

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Hi VM

Thank you for all this additional information.

Perhaps flying sucer flapdoodle is the religion of the future. Maybe a thousand years from now George Adamski will be a god.

Charley Atlas
    "I was once a 98 pound weakling!"

• VM44
    VM44

Found this today, it is good! Also mentions JWs. --VM44

When Prophecy Fails and Faith Persists: A Theoretical Overview
    Lorne L. Dawson

ABSTRACT: Almost everyone in the sociology of religion is familiar with the classic 1956 study by Festinger et al. of how religious groups respond to the failure of their prophetic pronouncements. Far fewer are aware of the many other studies of a similar nature completed over the last thirty years on an array of other new religious movements. There are intriguing variations in the observations and conclusions advanced by many of these studies, as well as some surprising commonalities. This paper offers a systematic overview of these variations and commonalities with an eye to developing a more comprehensive and critical perspective on this complex issue. An analysis is provided of the adaptive strategies of gropus faced with a failure of prophecy and the conditions affecting the nature and relative success of these strategies. In the end, it is argued, the discussion would benefit from a conceptual reorientation away from the specifics of the theory of cognitvie dissonance, as formulated by Festinger et al., to a broader focus on the generic processes of dissonance management in various religious and social groups.

(PDF file) http://caliber.ucpress.net/doi/pdf/10.1525/nr.1999.3.1.60

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit