RELATIONSHIPS Poll....UBM's I'm Asking You

by jgnat 24 Replies latest social relationships

• jgnat
    jgnat

I promise guys, I'll get back to everybody, but I just wanted to pass on a word of encouragement to hartstrings.

Your guy is fading but blurted out a bunch of hardline stuff when you asked him. I consider this a good sign because his INNER person KNOWS there's a problem. He's caught in Cognitive Dissonance episode. The conflict between his inner self and what he has been taught to believe is making him VERY uncomfortable. You can help him out of his dilemma by bringing up less threatening topics very slowly.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Anonymous entry:

1. How did your mixed marriage happen?

d) Other - explain!

Dated inactive JW. Got really caught up in the relationship by the time she revealed her secret. Period of uncertainty...she got pregnant...end of story. There is a moral to this story...

2. Did the two of you talk about your different beliefs and how you
    were raised before you committed to the other?

No!

3. How many times a month or week (whatever is easier to describe)
    does spiritual subjects come up in your home?

3 or 4 times per month maybe.

4. How do you relate/interact with other witnesses or congregation members?

They have shifted from my mortal enemies (in my eyes) to more or less neutral, occasional acquaintances. The exception is the brother I am studying with. We get along quite well but don't communicate outside of the study.

5. Do you talk to non-JW family about your JW spouse?

Yes, occasionally. Particularly my mother who is a really devout Christian and prays for me daily.
    6. Are you an "opposing mate"?

Yes, but not openly!

7. If you are a Christian, what are the most contentious subjects with your JW spouse?

Probably the whole "Christians are the Debil", WTS is Jehoba thing.

8. If you are an Agnostic/Athiest, what are the most contentious subjects with your JW spouse?
    N/A

9. When/how/what made you realize your marriage/family was
    threatened by your spouse's JW affiliation?

From the start, but it didn't really click until my wife panicked back into JW activity after our first son was born.

10. My favorite question, anything else to add?
    I'm scared for my children.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Humorous reply: Well, I know in this day and age hetero relationships have come under a lot of fire for trying to mix genders from two completely different planets and interracial relationships are always tough, my wife and I had handled two of the worst mixed marriages for years so I decided to see if we could handle the third. You know, just to spice things up.

AuldSoul

• jgnat
    jgnat

Let me get this straight, AuldSoul. First of all, the love of your life is:

1. Of another gender.

2. From a different planet altogether.

3. And her skin tone varies significantly from your own.

What were you thinking, man????

A browse through my Scottish ancestry shows this rebellious trait in every generation.

First generation off the boat didn't bother to find the correct denomination. So Church of England attends the local Presbyterian parish. Why? Because it's the only log-cabin church in buggy distance. ARRGH! The family back home has a coronary.

Second generation marries the Irish! AARGH! All of a sudden, we've got red hair, freckles, and flaring tempers.

Third generation marries That Greek Woman and she's Catholic to boot. AARGH! She has a strange accent, an unpronouncable name, and her food smells weird.

Fourth generation marries A Black Man from Africa. AARGH! Oh, he is an intelligent young man with a degree. Welcome to the family!

• jgnat
    jgnat

My turn:

a) Committed to each other knowing the other had different beliefs.

We met through a dating service. He was inactive when we met. I think it was my own spirituality that prompted him to reactivate his own faith.

2. Did the two of you talk about your different beliefs and how you were raised before you committed to the other?

When we married a few years later, I was fully aware of our different beliefs and the impact on our lives. I consoled myself that at least my folly was my own. My children are grown, and I am past childbearing. He is not the stereotyped dominant JW male. We also had discussed what would happen if either of us needed a blood transfusion. We both vowed to respect each other's beliefs (With varying compliance. We were both confident that our own faith was the strongest)

3. How many times a month or week (whatever is easier to describe) does spiritual subjects come up in your home?

Probably twice a day! A news item will prompt my hubby to say something about "the condition of the world." I guess we both communicate a lot.

4. How do you relate/interact with other witnesses or congregation members?

Quietly, sullenly. I am not interested in conversion, a book study, or telling them that "wasn't that talk lovely?" Our former congregation had written us off as "bad association." I feel constrained from being myself, for fear of saying something that will get my hubby in a LOT of trouble. So I am, uncharacteristically, the wallflower.

5. Do you talk to non-JW family about your JW spouse?

Yes, in general terms. They are more careful than I am not to offend, so they want to know what is appropriate at the various seasons. The little I do say about the constraints on JW behavior has put a bad taste in their mouth for ALL religion, really.

6. Are you an "opposing mate"?

If you can call our lighthearted banter "opposing", I guess. But one of the reasons he married me is that he loves lightearted banter. If he doesn't have something to argue about, he's an unhappy man.

And maybe my quiet and persistent campaign to show my husband that there are genuine Christians outside of the Kingdom Hall might get me labelled an "opposer".

But on the surface I support all my husband's spiritual ambitions. I cheer along with the Kingdom Hall when he struggles bravely through his first speaking part. Hey, if it's important to him, it is to me too, right?

7. If you are a Christian, what are the most contentious subjects with your JW spouse?

HE has a big problem with the Trinity. I HAVE a big problem with the Faithful and Discreet Slave.

9. When/how/what made you realize your marriage/family was threatened by your spouse's JW affiliation?

Christmas and other family gatherings. The stress of trying to maintain aloof over the holidays pushed my husband over the edge two years ago. He blew up all over my family. We also had a serious tiff at my stepmother's funeral. I'd threatened him with bodily harm if he tried to be a "good witness". His assignment was to keep his mouth shut and support me. He got three words of a canned presentation out of his mouth and I bodily shoved him out of the viewing room. He completely lost it, having never expected ME to get physical with HIM. I've barely forgiven him, and I wonder if I can trust him to be warm and inclusive with my family.

10. My favorite question, anything else to add?

I am grateful to all of you for your contribution. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit