WTS Reason for Not Missing Meetings?

by ICBehindtheCurtain 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

This is regarding the January Watchtower article that is on another thread, which is about avoiding missing meetings for work, I posted this under that thread but thought I might begin a new topic to get your views on this:

It's really enfuriating, that they keep putting out this BS, I know firsthand of many R&F that either quit jobs or did not accept jobs that would compromise meeting attendance all the while their families were in need, the brainwashed mentality was "If we put Jehovah first WTS first, Jehovah will provide", yeah right, as someone else mentioned what about when the car breaks down, or a child gets sick, etc? then they are pretty much up the creak without a paddle.

I wondered as was already mentioned, why they don't see that the less money the R&F makes the less they will contribute, then I realized that they look at the whole picture and figure out what will bring the most gains for them and they publish the adequate brainwashing to produce the best result for them, example:

Brother A, has a very time consuming job, is missing meetings, therefore the time he spends with worldlies is increasing and he is risking establishing freindships with these people, meanwhile brother A, has a wife and 2 kids, his immediate family consists of 4 siblings who are currently showing interest in the religion, a mom whom is a devout catholic but is currently harboring doubts about her religion, she sees that all her kids are leaning towards Brother A's religion, she wonders if maybe she should accept the study Brother A has offered.

Scenario 1 - Brother A, is enjoying the extra cash he is getting, now he is able to actually pay his bills, purchase a new home, and go on vacation, life is good! he is also relating more with the worldlies at work and they seem to be really caring people he wonders "why does the society demonize these people? they are caring, and loving to their families and they seem to be good people", he continues missing meetings and has more time to think for himself, someone at work mentions that the JW's are a cult, and takes him to a website that talks about this, and Brother A is shocked, his mind doesn't immediately accept what he is seeing, but he decides he wants to know more, and decides to type in "Jehovah's witness research" and WALA! he begins learning about the lies and all the crap, he misses showing up to study with his siblings, then eventually shares what he has learned with his wife and family members, and they stop studying, his mom then lets him know she will now accept the bible study he had offered, and he fills her in, so she decides to stay where she is.

Result - Brother A, his wife, 2 kids, his 4 siblings and their spouses, his mom, her siblings and all their close freinds will never be part of the JW's now that they know the Crap, so there is a considerable loss of potential converts, all because Brother A, wanted to have a little extra money to provide for his family and enjoy his life. I know it doesn't always go like this but, the WTS knows the potential for losing all those possible new converts.

Scenario 2 - Brother A, attends the Sunday meeting where they are mentioning all the dangers of missing meetings etc. his conscience kicks in and he tells his boss he needs to leave earlier on meeting days, he also begins to realize he has been too freindly with his co-workers he needs to keep his distance lest he start liking hanging around with them.

He is then attending the Tuesday School Mtng. he had missed for the last 2 months, he begins hearing how he should be reaching out for priviledges, his conscience bothers him, he feels the pressure of needing to do more to please Jehovah the WTS, he now speaks to his wife who is finally so happy he is heading the counsel, but doesn't know why she feels this cold feeling in her chest when she thinks he might decide to quit his nice job now that they are finally getting their heads above the water financially, but thinks "oh well, he would be putting Kingdom interests first and Jehovah will surely provide" . Brother A's boss begins telling him that the holidays are coming and they need to really work hard to keep up with the extra work, Brother A, sees this as Satan attacking now that he has decided to put Jehovah the WTS first, the elders said this would happen, so after much thought, prayer and discussing it with his wife Brother A decides to quit his job and not worry, Jehovah will surely bless him. Sister A feels that sinking cold feeling in her chest but realizes that she has to be strong and prays to Jehovah to remove her doubts and fears, that that is exactly what Satan wants, so she cuts corners here and there, and begins clipping coupons, and eliminates all the unneccessary spending from the budget.

Brother A, is looking for a job, but is having a hard time, he hadn't realized that now that the holidays are approaching people would be taking extra jobs to make extra money for the holidays, but he keeps looking , his studies with his siblings are going really well, 2 of them have decided to pursue becoming approved publishers and Brother A's mom finally accepted that study he had offered, he feels torn, on the one hand he is feeling really great he is doing so much for Jehovah the WTS, on the other hand he is scared to death these are the last bills he can pay off, and no job in sight, so he decides he really needs to simplify his life, so he cashes in his 401K and after talking it over with his wife, they decide to sell their house, it's really bigger than they need, and the meeting sunday was about simplifying your life and letting go of unneccessary material ties, surely Jehovah will bless this decision. So they sell their house, and purchase a trailer, and decide to pioneer.

Brother A finally finds a job cleaning offices overnight, Sister A joins him, they feel a little tired but hey, this is what they should be doing. Their kids are very resentful and ashamed to have their JW freinds over, before, they felt really proud when they brought their freinds over, they had a nice house in a nice neighborhood, but now look where they live, they feel guilty, because their parents said this sacrifice was for Jehovah. They don't hang around so much with their JW freinds, but have begun making freinds with their school mates, and see that these kids are pretty Kool.

Result - Brother A, his wife, their kids for now are in the "Truth", his 4 siblings and their wives decided to get baptized, so did his mom, she is currently studying with 3 of her 6 siblings and 2 of her siblings spouses are now showing interest. So the WTS has gained quite a few converts, all because Brother A heard that talk that Sunday about not missing meetings because of work, and decided to heed the counsel. Their kids however, are leading a double life and will leave as soon as they can survive on their own.

So you see, it is not unlike a pyramid scheme one person that comes in, means alot of potential converts for the WTS and they know this, which is the reason they will never stop saying all this crap about avoiding material things, and keeping your eye simple, if people heed this council they will be WTS brainwashed slaves who will try to share the "Truth" with all those around them.

IC (of the I'm no longer brainwashed class)

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Very interesting. I've never been a dub, but it explains a lot about my friend.... thanks!

• startingover
    startingover

Very interesting IC

On the other hand, look at how the mormons approach the situation. Encourage education and making money and then require them to give 10%. I think the mormons are the wisest financially speaking. And I think they have a happier group of people as a result.

• Mary
    Mary
    I wondered as was already mentioned, why they don't see that the less money the R&F makes the less they will contribute,

While the GB and their lawyers would love to have both wealthy and easy-to-manipulate drones, when push comes to shove, and they realize that they have to choose one or the other, control seems to be higher on their agenda than contributions. Some cults, like the Mormons, realize that the more successful someone is, the more they'll contribute to the church. The GB hasn't caught on to this yet, or if they have, they're ignoring it.

Controlling the flock is numero uno to these guys. They don't give a damn how many Witnesses burn out, suffer from depression, exhaustion or have nervous breakdowns due to the ridiculous amount of time you're supposed to spend at meetings, studying for meetings and service-----the status quo cannot be challenged. You'd think with meeting attendance at an all time low in so many places, they might stop and say, "hey, maybe there's just too many meetings." They won't. Instead, they blame the R&F for "lack of appreciation" and being "spiritually weak".

They're just digging themselves in further and further but they just don't care. I guess they're too busy gearing up for receiving their "reward that is in the heavens."

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Startingover I think you are right, the Mormons do seem happier, a cult nonetheless, only that their members are richer and happier.

Double Edge - Hi there, hadn't spoken you yet, glad I could help.

Mary - I completely agree, it is about control and no, they don't give a damn about anyone or how much damage they are doing to families, or how much stress they are putting individuals under, maybe they own stock on Prozac or other anti-depressants, and are creating more customers for these companies, hey that's a good conspiracy theory. I hope more and more people wake up and see that they need to chose their mental health and their families well being instead.

IC

• startingover
    startingover

One of my favorite sayings is:

"Money doesn't buy happiness but it buys alot more than poverty."

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I remember when my truth-starved brain had a glorious epiphany: I finally understood the truth that Jehovah is not going to provide any more than I absolutely need. That I wouldn't be left "entirely." I said to myself, 'well, thanks God, that's mighty nice of you. Glad to know I won't be left "entirely."'

So I realized that if I wanted anything more than a jar of pork fat (old WT experience reference) to survive on in hard times, I better get cracking.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I thought I read somewhere on this board that the old timers at Bethel intentionally want JW's to live a busy life full of theocratic activity to keep them out of trouble.

• luna2
    luna2

Yes, you can't always count on Jehootie sending you folding money on a gentle breeze just as your gas tank goes dry. At least he never bothered to send me any.

As for not missing meetings, we were always told that you don't want to miss a meeting because what if Armegeddy suddenly started and there you were loafing around in front of the television at home? Hmmmm, Jah might not find you worthy of survival. Or what if there was an important message or new arrangement delivered to the congregation and you weren't there (God forbid your fellow witnoids should clue you in or anything). Then if the government started persecuting the witlesses by closing all KH's or something you (you big slacker) wouldn't know what to do or where to go for your spiritual "food" (ugh...I can't tell you how much I hate that term "spiritual food"...yuck, more like spiritual pig slop).

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Or what if there was an important message or new arrangement delivered to the congregation and you weren't there (God forbid your fellow witnoids should clue you in or anything). Then if the government started persecuting the witlesses by closing all KH's or something you (you big slacker) wouldn't know what to do or where to go for your spiritual "food".

I wanted to throw up everytime one of the 'mature ones' spewed out trash like this during a meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit