JESUS B-day

by I-CH-TH-U-S 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I-CH-TH-U-S
    I-CH-TH-U-S

Dec 25?

Oct 1?

i have even heard some recent speculation on jesus possibly being born in march which is interesting.

october seems reasonable with the rational of "shepherds watched their flocks by night" and in the december months it would be too cold for them to be out? is there any reason that they would be out during this time or is the WTS got something right for a change?

• Soledad
    Soledad

We know that December 25 was a popular Roman festival (Saturnalia) and many other cultures also participated in winter solstice feasts. Christians assigned Christ's birthday to 12/25 in 336AD. Now if December was too cold for the shepards to be out at night then another date-----possibly in either the spring or early fall--could be the actual date for Jesus's birth. The gospels make no mention of the actual date or even alude to a possible festival during the time, which could have easily given away the date. But then again the gospels were written many years after Christ's death.

• Carmel
    Carmel

I spent five winters in Isreal and only one of them was "cold" Unless there has been a documented climate change, I doubt if the standard argument about it being too cold in December for shepards to be in the fields holds water....

carmel

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

october is the month of satan. he tricksies you to misleads you.

as for me and my family, we shall serve jesus...

- joshua

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I don't know if there is anything to this or not, but you can check it out:

http://users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/birthday.htm

~Merry

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

september 11?

if so what would you do? having a jesus birthday party or mourn the losses?

• ghostbuster
    ghostbuster

Hi everybody I'm new to this forum so here goes my first post. I thought Christ was thirtythree and a half when he died somewhere in the lunar month of march and april. That would place his birth between October and November.

• Mr Rocky
    Mr Rocky

I read the Interesting link above. I notice that the writer suggest Sept. for Jesus birth. This is based however on a guess too because he stated that "Likely" Holy Spirit impregnated her shortly after his visit with Mary.

The thought by Watchtower that the sheperds wouldn,t be out after dark and that it is to cold in December is nuts. I have seen sheep in my area with Six inches of snow on their backs walking around like nothing is wrong. Also if you will look in the back of the large print bilble(JW's) at the time chart you will see that our December is not all that cold in Isreal. Plus where do you think the sheep stay in Isreal in December anyway? All in coverd barns all day long? How about the hay that would take? We are not talking about sheperds with modern hay equipment here. Likely the sheperds did bring the sheep down from the mountains in the winter and graze close to home. The sheperds would still look after them in the fields. This being where grass was left to grow while they grased grass on the mountians in the summer.

I believe that brooklyn was too busy spending time telling others what to think and taking farmer's money back in the day to have ever worked down on the farm to understand this point. They having looked out their windows in December and seeing six feet of snow in New York.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Welcome ghostbuster.

The only NT indications of Jesus' age are in Luke (about 30 at baptism) and in John (under 50), and they suggest a pretty different picture. We're far from a day-month accuracy.

The two nativity stories in Matthew and Luke are narratively incompatible with each other: Matthew has Joseph and Mary live in Judea and move to Judea as a consequence of the magi-Herod-slaughter-Egypt-Archelaus chain of "events". Luke has them live in Galilee and travel to Judea as a consequence of Quirinius' census -- which by the way happened about 10 years after Herod's death.

In short: we are dealing with legend.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    october is the month of satan. he tricksies you to misleads you.

Sounds like someone's been watching Lord of the Rings. Is Satan as tricksy as Hobbitses?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit