Define your "pantheism"

by Narkissos 36 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby
    There is only that which is indescribably

He stole that from a Peter Paul" Mounds Bar" wrapper....I remember it said that too.

Gumby

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

On the shore

Between

Being > Identity > Totality

and

Difference > Otherness > Infinity

I stand in awe and breathe

the breath of long-dead gods.

Diapantheism?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Diapantheism?

Isn't that the pharmacological name for Valium?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

You made me google it... true neologism!

Might have the same effects as diazepam though.

Narkosis

• Satanus
    Satanus

Being merely an amateur pantheist, i looked it up in the catholic encyclopedia - http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11447b.htm

------

The view according to which God and the world are one. The name pantheist was introduced by John Toland (1670-1722) in his "Socinianism truly Stated" (1705), while pantheism was first used by his opponent Fay in "Defensio Religionis" (1709). Toland published his "Pantheisticon" in 1732. The doctrine itself goes back to the early Indian philosophy; it appears during the course of history in a great variety of forms, and it enters into or draws support from so many other systems that, as Professor Flint says ("Antitheistic Theories", 334), "there is probably no pure pantheism". Taken in the strictest sense, i.e. as identifying God and the world, Pantheism is simply Atheism.

VARIETIES

These agree in the fundamental doctrine that beneath the apparent diversity and multiplicity of things in the universe there is one only being absolutely necessary, eternal, and infinite. Two questions then arise: What is the nature of this being? How are the manifold appearances to be explained? The principal answers are incorporated in such different earlier systems as Brahminism, Stoicism, Neo-Platonism, and Gnosticism, and in the later systems of Scotus Eriugena and Giordano Bruno.

----

It mentions that there are many varieties. It mentions a gnostic variety, also. In gnosticsm, a dull, visually impared god creates the universe. Merging that gnostic creator w the panthiest, a dull, visually impared god is implicite/the ground of/underneath/within the universe and all it's matter. Actually, the term god in this context, because of all it's connotations, is not a good one. Perhaps an emerging semiconsciousness would be a better description, imo.

It is atheism in the sense that there is no external god.

You asked:

What does the "theism" in "pantheism" mean?

If it is a god, it is pretty pathetic. I simply don't understand the rest of your questions. Perhaps the catholic encyclopedia article can help. My own view has an added dualistic element.

S

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i really dig Baruch Spinoza, the excommunicated jewish apostate turned pantheist. i read some of his stuff as i was leaving the org, and i really liked a lot of it.

I would warn you that I do not attribute to nature either beauty or deformity, order or confusion. Only in relation to our imagination can things be called beautiful or ugly, well-ordered or confused. - Baruch Spinoza

for his time, he was heady man!

TS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thank you Satanus,

Very interesting read.

The notion of consciousness saves pantheism from tautology, if not from atheism.

Whether it is unique (and potentially unifying the "all") is another question...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

At what point does omnipresence become pantheism?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

when you stop calling it jesus

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

A Deity by any other name is still a deity...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit