Do you charge your 18+ kids rent?

by tall penguin 40 Replies latest social family

• Plummet
    Plummet

My sisters and I had to pay rent, sort of. My parents have owned a Janitorial Company since I was 12. We had to work for our "rent", and once in a while they would pay us if we helped them with big jobs. For years we worked our butts off on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sunday Nights.

• lola28
    lola28

I don't have children but I have been paying rent now for a while, $300. a month plus bills. I don't mind, it has helped me learn how to save money. Plus I live in California there is no way I'm finding rent any cheaper than that.

lola

• TrailBlazer04
    TrailBlazer04

We don't charge my 18 year old son "rent"..he does pay for his car, insurance and all that and cell phone. I'd rather he save the money for going to school. (He moved back home from out of state so has to wait to get in-state tuition rates). He's not sure what he wants to do as far as school, etc. but the joy of having him home after 6 years living with his dad just makes him that much more dear. And, he's a good kid, works hard (got a job w/in 2 weeks of coming home), and helps out w/his brother (the 15 year old "pill") and grandmother (another long story). We don't feel like he needs to pay rent...So, we don't expect "rent". Now...that said, if he CHOSE to not help out and be a "border", we've told him that he would be responsible for 20% of all household expenses (5 people living here, so he'd pay 1/5).

Just our pov on this

TB

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Here's an odd one: When I moved out @ 22, I paid less rent for my 1/2 of the apartment then I paid to my parents. AND I wasn't used as a free baby sitter for a teenager, a 5 year old and a 1 year old.

When it was my turn to play 'parent', my rule started as: OK to live here rent free if you are (1) carrying 12 or more units and (2) maintaining 2.0gpa. I needed to see report cards at end of each semester.

This child had troubles and didn't finish a full semester. Tried a few times. Eventually I told him to leave for a few reasons. The last time he returned, I was unwavering. $500/mo rent due before the first of the month. I told him upfront that he would get back $300 for each month he lived here. If he chose to attend college, I also factored in college credits (rebate) and other incentives to help him keep focused on earning a living and living on a budget. (I had wanted to do the 'surprise refund' but that just never worked with this kid.) I really was tired of the shenanigans when he was 23 and he wasn't showing signs of maturing into a responsible adult. When he moved out 6 months later, he got back $1800 and seems to be doing much better than this time last year.

Nice thread, penguin.

-Aude.

• kiddotan
    kiddotan
    This child had troubles and didn't finish a full semester. ; Tried a few times. ; Eventually I told him to leave for a few reasons. ; ; The last time he returned, I was unwavering. ; $500/mo rent due before the first of the month. ; I told him upfront that he would get back $300 for each month he lived here. ; If he chose to attend college, I also factored in college credits (rebate) and other incentives to help him keep focused on earning a living and living on a budget. ; (I had wanted to do the 'surprise refund' but that just never worked with this kid.) ; I really was tired of the shenanigans when he was 23 and he wasn't showing signs of maturing into a responsible adult. ; When he moved out 6 months later, he got back $1800 and seems to be doing much better than this time last year.

What a brilliant idea!

I had to pay rent from the age of 16yrs. I had a part-time job. Mostly the rent was to pay for my horse. We didn't have to pay so much if we worked on the farm outside our normal chores. When I left school and had 6 months off before travelling, I had to pay what i would consider a proper rent.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Not rent exactly, but I do make them throw some in the pot for food, phone, etc. I helped them both get their first cars, but after that they are on their own. They have to pay for car, insurance, any bills they make, etc.

They help out with the yard, buying groceries, & most importantly with the DOG.

They are responsible for their laundry, most of the time...

Swalker

• horrible life
    horrible life

I graduated at age 16, by working hard, taking summer school and night school. While a senior, I worked the afternoons for a dentist, and at a sub sandwich shop in the evenings. I rode a city bus.

The whole purpose of all of my hard work, was to save up as much money as I could to get out of the hell hole called home. When my father hit me up for rent, all I could think of was I was saving for a car, any car, and he wanted my money. I spent an 1 1/2 hours on a city bus every day. I thought, and still think he was crazy and greedy. I slept there, showered, and did laundry. Bought all of my needs myself. Never ate at home. I guess I could have flipped him a $10.00 bill for water.

And all of the posters here, saying that their parents gave it back to them, that never crossed my parents mind. HL

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I don't think you necessarily have to set up a rent payment to teach responsibility. You can have kids contribute by helping do housework, yardwork and washing cars. They can also cook if they have any talent at it. If they don't make a lot of money, they can still buy the special groceries they like and bring home things for everyone like milk, laundry detergent, etc. The point is to teach them to contribute to the household and to be responsible.

Now, if they work full-time and make good money and don't show any signs of saving and have plans of moving out? Well, then they need to pay some of the bills. They can pay their own bills and they can help pay the rent, mortgage, utilities, etc. and buy groceries. I'd be requiring them to have a savings account, too. With savings, they can move out eventually.

• reneef
    reneef

I don't see how it can be right for upper middle class people to charge young people rent when most of the time they make peanuts for a salary. It sounds like something Watchtower advocates in order for people to get more free money. This way they can have more time to preach the good news. If you can get money from your kids it is another source of income so you don't have to work and you can go preach.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I paid rent as soon as I left school at 16 whether I was working or not. I paid a percentage of my income rather than a flat rate. So when I was unemployed and claiming umemployment benefit of £44 a week I paid £20 a week rent. When I was working and earning £70 a week I paid £30 a week.

I suppose I didnt mine paying, because if I hadnt, there wouldnt have been any food to eat!

I also did at least 50% of the house chores.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit