Penn Jillette gives a great essay on Atheism

by Gollum 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gollum
    Gollum

NPR has revived an old radio thing from the 50's called "This I Believe". The one yesterday had Penn Jillette (kind of my hero anyway) getting around there requirement for a positive assertion of faith, by saying he positivily believes there is no God.

Anyway, it's now become my favorite essay. Here's the link with the text and a link to the audio. Athiests will love it, and everybody else will hate it.

• daystar
    daystar

I saw that earlier. I wish it was longer.

• Confession
    Confession

Not sure what I believe presently, but I certainly enjoyed Penn's essay.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Believing there's no God means I can't really be forgiven except by kindness and faulty memories. That's good; it makes me want to be more thoughtful. I have to try to treat people right the first time around.

Good stuff

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

You gotta admire a man of faith! Dave

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

throughly enjoyed this

• kiddotan
    kiddotan
    Believing there's no God means I can't really be forgiven except by kindness and faulty memories. That's good; it makes me want to be more thoughtful. I have to try to treat people right the first time around.

I like this, thank you

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Heard Penn's essay yesterday morning on the way to work. Made my whole day!

An interesting note. Penn grew up in the same neighborhood as a wonderful performer named Michael Moshen (think that's the correct last name spelling), one of the most awesome physical performers you'll ever see. Michael has had a number of specials on public TV.

Michael's sister was a JW in my circuit. She loaned me all his videos. She told me about growing up with Penn and her brother doing all this stuff together, as they were best buds.

S4

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

this is wonderful. thank you for this link.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

That guy sure has a way of finding the core of an issue and presenting it lucidly and compellingly. Nice find, Gollum.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit