Do jw youths understand

by carla 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Sweet tee - if I ever do get called on by a JW I will make a point of asking if its true JWs pressurise teens into baptism - specially if I get lucky and they have a kid with them. But just the question that Jesus waited til he was 30 - isn't it wrong to say that your kids are more spiritual than God's son and try and baptise them sooner?

Riko - oh riko - we could be the same person you and I -

But it seemed such a good idea, my parents might actually stop looking at me like I was the black sheep (they didn't, incidentally), I could start dating, I'd get a clap at the following meeting, people would notice me and in the right way too, not just as 'that one who sits on her own looking miserable and looking like a goth'. (I wasn't a goth, just liked black, but obviously that meant I must've been a devil worshipper
    Everything you said was true of me at 13 too!
  • Jamelle
    Jamelle

I grew up in a congregation with lots of young people around my own age. I think the first round of baptisms were at the age of 13. I knew that it was going to be noticeable if I put off getting baptised.

I wanted to fly under the radar, so to speak. As others have expressed, I wanted to keep my parents off my back. So I studied that stupid little book and sat on our porch with two elders and aced those questions - oh how those elders grinned at that clever little girl!

I stood up with all the other baptismal candidates at the Romeoville, IL assembly hall and answered yes to the questions asked of us. In my heart, I was terrified. With my lips I answered "Yes" to that booming voice from the mircrophone - With my heart I said "NO!" I remember waiting for something to happen to me, because I was standing there lying to God. I didn't really expect a bolt of lightning, but I was relieved when the moment passed and I was still there, and no one knew my secret heart.

That whole experience is like a dream to me. I wish I had never done it. But at that age I didn't actively plan to leave the JW's - I was kind of floating along. I was only 14 - I hadn't hit the really rebellious years yet. If I'd waited even until I was 16, I never would have gone through with it.

• riko
    riko
    With my lips I answered "Yes" to that booming voice from the mircrophone - With my heart I said "NO!"

How sad that children sometimes not even in their teens, gain such a feeling of guilt...

Crumpet, it's good to know I'm not the only one who felt that feeling tof total rejection and inadequacy. I try to think of it as I was special, makes me feel better anyway!

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I understand.

I got baptized at 16, so I could DA myself and have it stick.

• seven006
    seven006

As with most things that might nail the JW’s down to a definitive answer, they redefine the meaning of “pressure” and call it “encouragement”. If a DF’ed one later comes back and tells their parents that they pressured them into getting baptized their parents adamantly say they did not, “it was the child’s own decision”, and that they only encouraged it.

The average JW learns how to redefine any given situation by their cult leaders to swing an explanation of anything toward what ever fits the JW mold. Such as “it was Satan’s or the world’s influence that made him do bad things” or “they did it because they were spiritually weak”. Or, you misunderstood what we said about 1975, it’s your fault for going before god”.

Now that the gentile times are being redefined “again” and all the ones who were alive in 1914 to see it are dead, I’m sure an appropriate explanation for their mistake will be packaged as “new light” and the rank and file will buy into it just like they do everything. They might have already done this, I seem to have let my watchtower subscription run out so I’m out of the new light loop.

With any cult, it is imperative to redefine what the rest of the world sees as normal, right, or wrong so as to convince the cult followers that their leaders are always right. When they are proven wrong, they blame somebody else like the talking snake or the original sin bullshit.

What we as JW kids saw as pressure, our parents saw as encouragement. Just like a pressure cooker encourages steam to blow out of the top of it or ignited solid fuel encourages a ten-ton rocket ship to go up in the air a little bit. Encouragement can be an awesome thing when used right. Pressure is just a figment of our imagination.

I had two main reasons I got baptized at 19. I wanted to get married and have sex and it was also 1974.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid!

Dave

The last person to realize they are in a cult are the ones who are in a cult.

• daystar
    daystar

seven006

Now that the gentile times are being redefined “again” and all the ones who were alive in 1914 to see it are dead, I’m sure an appropriate explanation for their mistake will be packaged as “new light” and the rank and file will buy into it just like they do everything. They might have already done this, I seem to have let my watchtower subscription run out so I’m out of the new light loop.

I halfway suspect sarcasm here. It was packaged as new light in 1995. They redefined the word "generation".

• seven006
    seven006

Sarcasm? Me? Never!

I had heard that but didn’t know all the details. It’s hard to listen to details when you’re on the ground kicking your heels on the floor and laughing your ass off.

What did they come up with as the new definition of a generation? Wheneeeeeeever?

I don’t understand it. There has to be a dooms day for dooms day cults to exist. Without a definite dooms day picked out, they are just a run of the mill cult. Next thing you know they are going to start running TV commercials and hiring a marketing firm to help them get new suckers. After that they might start trying to conserve spending their millions or even ask to give more money for the world wide preaching work like Jim and Tammy Fay Baker did.

I thought they were different. They could have been a contender…they could have been somebody. STELLA…..STELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

This cult just cracks me up.

Dave

• daystar
    daystar

I'm sure blondie or someone else can dig up the article. I'm sure it's been referenced before. I just have limited time.

They redefined "generation" as, more or less, a generation of paradigm, whatever that really means. It effectively extends the "generation" to include at least a century, possibly more. Whatever they feel like really.

• seven006
    seven006

So you’re saying its “whenever”?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit