Elders' School

by Cellist 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Cellist
    Cellist

I was reading Sir82's thread on the recent Elders' School and he mentioned them learning how to use the index in the new OD book. Does anyone remember the Elders' School in 1986 or 87 (I think) where the whole two days was spent learning how to use the new "Watchtower Publications Index 1930 - 1985". At that time I had the same reaction as Sir82 just had .... Duh!

It certainly didn't instill any confidence in elders. Especially when they came back from their school, proud of their new learning. In retrospect I'm wondering if they were pretending to be happy so that they wouldn't look ungrateful for their "food".

Do any former elders (or current) remember this school?

Cellist

• minimus
    minimus

The only school I "learned" anything from was the 1980 KMS when they went after "apostates".

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Yeah,

I was at the schools then. Was completely bored and disgusted even though it took me until 1990 or 91 (don't even remember anymore) to resign as an elder. Then it took me another 10 years to start fading. I'm glad it is all over with.

HappyDad

• JT
    JT

we spent alot of time on telling the differences between "momentarily touching a womans breast" and "caressing a woman breast"

it was like it went on for 30min, since each one has its own Judical punishment metted out

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    we spent alot of time on telling the differences between "momentarily touching a womans breast" and "caressing a woman breast"

Ha! Is it any wonder they don't want them recorded?!? Can you imagine the reaction of a new Bible Student if they found out that this is the content of the Elder's meetings with the higher-up's?

Do ministerial servants get to attend these things? I remember my MS father-in-law being all giddy about getting to attend some school. This was a few years back, I don't know if he's been to more than just that one or not.

Dave

• minimus
    minimus

JT, the elders were expected to get a time frame on how long "momentary" was. That was the breast part, I mean "best" part of the teachings.

• blondie
    blondie

Maybe they should have had a demonstration.

• minimus
    minimus

Well Blondie, I'm sure there must've been some heavy set elders with breasts.

• juni
    juni

That is so funny! How about sisters who momentarily touch a brother's balls w/her foot? I bet instant DF. Juni :)

• proandcon
    proandcon

I attended the elder's training school in 1986 or 1987. It was held at the Monroe NY assembly hall...Many bethelites and WT Farm "heavies" were in attendance. Most of the congregations in the WTF (LOL) area had many elders...about 1600 in attendance...I remember Don Adams from Brooklyn making the point ad nauseum that we all had an obligation to give the householders the opportunity to contribute for the literature so Jah could truly see his heart condition.(by supporting the F&D slave)..a real stretch...- maybe you catch a break at the big A if you've slipped a $20 to a bookseller?? he had a scripture to back him up though- forget what it was though...not important...most of it went way over people's heads...made little sense at all...I was a new elder then...always got a kick out of the parts about loose conduct etc...these old coots really got off on it for sure...it was the only highlight...sure would've been better with live demos...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit